Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nite out in cork city

Options
  • 04-02-2012 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Im heading to cork city this Wednesday for a nite out with a few friends. Will it be busy and where best places to go. Would it be mostly college crowd out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

johnroake wrote: »
    Im heading to cork city this Wednesday for a nite out with a few friends. Will it be busy and where best places to go. Would it be mostly college crowd out.

It's R&G (RAG) week so town will be full of rowdy students! :pac:

There's definitely places with little or no students you could go to though. I don't really know any bar maybe crane lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 johnroake

Oh right. It is rag week this week. Be busy out so. Where is best student places to go

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Reardens & Havannas

Reardens & Havannas
    Ok cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What kind of places do you like going to John?

• Advertisement

Wat about afternoon drinks. Cos I be starting early :-)

Depends man. I like to have a quiet one during the day in a nice place bit of pub grub. Then a lively place in evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

johnroake wrote: »
    Wat about afternoon drinks. Cos I be starting early :-)
    if you're starting early then go to an brog. they sell pints or wine for 2.90 before 9.30pm(or around that time anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

EyeSight wrote: »
    if you're starting early then go to an brog. they sell pints or wine for 2.90 before 9.30pm(or around that time anyway)
    Pints or wine unti 11pm for €3.10
    There should be a good crowd of students in An Brog I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭linfield

somewhere quiet with a bit of pub grub and ye send him to An Brog which is neither? Avoid An Brog if I were you, place is filthy. Cheap yes, but is a dump imo.

If you want nice pub grub than the Oliver Plunkett or the Thomond do nice food as does soho.

If you want somewhere busy early during the day, then go to the new bar in Ucc. You might need someone with a student ID to sign you in though.

On wednesday night, Havanas and Reardens will be busy, but you could also try roxy which should be good and is an over 20s crowd. Freakscene will no doubt be busy also, it's rock music and has a gay floor also i think, if that's what you're into.

Have a good night in Cork :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

This is all my opinion:

Best bar food in the city is SoHo, their chicken wings are the best you can get in the city.

Clancys also does excellent steaks, expensive though!

The Brog is horrible, just avoid it.

The Oliver Plunkett has good food too (best carvery I've ever had, also try the club sandwich, it's some feed!), though I couldn't stick the music they play.

Sober Lane has pitchers, pizza, burgers etc, well worth a visit, the pizza are the best I've had in the city, beating all Italian restaurants and takeaways by a mile, try the one with caramelised apples and black pudding!

If you want cheap pints you have the Brog (€3.10 I think), Preachers (€3 for daily pint, €3.50 for all other pints) and I'm sure there's a few others.

The most expensive bars (for a pint) are Reardens, SoHo, Crane Lane. The pints in SoHo and Reardens are f*cking awful. Even the Heineken is bad. Crane Lane has a lot of foreign beer.

The Bierhaus (and Bierhalle restaurant next door) is well worth a look, one of Corks better pubs.

The Mutton Lane (with the huge mural on the wall outside) is a nice pub, a bit like a dark cave, but a cool place nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mini5476

Sober Lane is a good shout for food and beer.

Dont get pints in the Brog, they're awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

mini5476 wrote: »

they do have a taste of ass alright. i went there for the first time in ages 2 weeks ago and the pints were disgusting.
    however for day drinking i find the brog to be a good price and its never that busy during the day either

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

To be fair, have 4 or 5 anywhere else then they taste pretty decent.

An Bodhran does cheap pints up until, the staff are sound too.

OP, if you tell us what kind of pubs you usually go to wherever you're from we'll be able to direct you to similarish pubs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

Points are grand during the day cos they only have the front bar open and the taps are constantly in use. At night, either use the front bar or stick to bottles.

im from tipp. hey dont really have much stuff going on during the week. it is normally just pints and a chat during the day, maybe bit of pool. then pub with music in the night time then off to a niteclub.

Advertisement