Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archiving an entire website?

Options
  • 04-02-2012 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

How do,

Sorry mods if in the wrong place.

I expect to be judged here and probably rightly so but hey, I'm a stickler for mementos. After the recent day closure of bebo it got me thinking that it won't be around forever I'd imagine. I wouldn't mind keeping a record of my old page to store on my hard drive to look at it in years to come if I ever want to kill myself with embarrassment.

Not just my home page though, I'd like to be able to freely click on any of the albums and cycle through the photos and to click on the previous comments and look through them, all offline, after the inevitable downfall of the once mighty site. Obviously there'll be a limit to how much I can save so I wouldn't want to save anyone's else's page (say if i click on a friend's name), just my own and everything on it. Is there any way I can do this?

Thanks.

Friday night, archiving my bebo...I've wasted my life

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

You might not need to - Google "Wayback Machine"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Wayback Machine is good, but I've always found it loses most images.

What you are looking for is an offline browser/reader which downloads a site, a page and its subpages, a site and one level of linked pages or whatever you set it too.
    Some listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offline_reader and http://www.google.ie/search?q=offline+browser. Personal fave of mine used to be WebZip once you get the ads stripped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

In this case the problem is a bit more difficult because you are not archiving a website or a web page.

You wish to archive pages & content on a website (or social network) that are associated with your user profile in the context of that web application (aka Bebo). Standard web spidering/archiving tools will get you some of what you want but they are designed for a more general purpose at the hyperlink level without contextual knowledge of the content you are gathering.

See are there any tools specifically used for archiving bebo profile content. I'm on my phone so extensive searching is inconvenient for me right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

There is no general way to do this unless you want to manually do it.

Google have the data liberation group.
    Facebook allows you to export.

Twitter do not have anything I know of but expert labs have ThinkUp which does allow you to backup twitter, facebook and google+ iirc.

Bebo should allow you to download videos and images which should be pretty much everything you want to save from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

What about cURL or wget? I used the latter to archive a few sites back in the day, it can follow links to a depth you specify. Would they be unsuitable for Bebo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

As I was saying in my last post, the above is a more general approach which would automate to an extent, but only at the hyperlink level & not at the contextual "user" level & related content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Thanks everyone, haven't been on my own computer for the last few days but when I do I'll try what's been suggested.

Advertisement