Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

InfoPath / SharePoint 2010 issue with people picker fields not showing

Options
  • 04-02-2012 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all -
    I'm new to this, so I have no idea if the development forum is the correct place to post an InfoPath / SharePoint customization question, but I'm hoping somebody may be able to point me in the right direction.

Background:

I have a SharePoint 2010 list, on which I have used the 'Customize form' feature to modify the default form through InfoPath.

I then have an InfoPath form web part on a page, where I want the data displayed in the form to be based on an ID parameter passed via the page URL. I have achieved this using a simple query string (URL) web part on the same page. This works by:
    - Through the Manage Web Part Connections in SharePoint Designer, set the value of a new hidden field in the form which I've called 'ID_LookupFromURL'.
    - In the form template, I have a rule that runs when the 'ID_LookupFromURL' field changes, it sets the ID query field to the same value, then looks up the data from the main data connection, which is then displayed on the form.

Issue:

This entire process is working almost perfectly at the moment, but the only problem is that any people picker fields on the form are hidden when the form first loads. This does not happen if I load the form normally without passing a URL parameter. It seems there is an extra delay with processing the people picker values, and when I use this extra step in pre-loading the form through the URL parameter, it interferes with the process which shows the people pickers.

When filling out the form, if I change any field that requires a lookup to another data connection (anything that requires the form to send information back to the server or lookup information from the server), only then will the people picker field show. It is as if it requires an extra connection back to the server for the people picker fields to render.

Any ideas on what may be causing this issue?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Sounds like a pretty cool solution you are working on.

Is it the entire people picker control that is not diaplying, or is it displaying but just with a blank value?

Do you have any conditional formatting rules on the control (for e.g. to hide it if the value is blank)?

Do you set a value for the field in the form load rules, or is it manually filled out by the user?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dj30

stevenmu wrote: »
    Sounds like a pretty cool solution you are working on.

Is it the entire people picker control that is not diaplying, or is it displaying but just with a blank value?

Do you have any conditional formatting rules on the control (for e.g. to hide it if the value is blank)?

Do you set a value for the field in the form load rules, or is it manually filled out by the user?

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply.

The entire control is not displaying. There is one rule set for the control to be disabled if a certain other field is blank, but that is not the case, and the same rule is applied to other fields as well. Finally, to answer your last question, there is no rule set to fill out this particular field on form load, but by setting the id field through the URL, this field may or may not have a value to be set. Hope that makes sense...

I'm completely stumpted here.. Let me know if it would help if I posted a few screenshots

Advertisement