Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Factory Prices

• 04-02-2012 1:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭

What are the quotes like at the moment was quoted 3.90 for O bulls and 4 euro for R's (dairy bred) on Wednesday refused to sell.:mad: Spinning yarn that they were finding it hard to sell and that they would be pulling them every week from now on.:pac:
    Also said that by September they would be at a base of 3.50/kgs:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Also said that by September they would be at a base of 3.50/kgs:eek:

Your biggest danger maybe in not believing them. Im selling away constantly,as im a profit taker. Where the top of the market will be, doesnt bother me as all animals have to be replaced anyway. My animals bought since christmas are fairly wrong in my book and I would say that includes most animal traded in all marts. hands in the pockets for the last few weeks and only buying a handful each day im out. Over the last few years, one of the times I got a right touch out of animals I was taking a price of 3.22 a kilo.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭island of tighe

mart prices are way ahead of factory prices at the moment. i got 1420 for 3 615kg r grade heifers in kilkenny on thursday.no worries about fatscore etc.factory men were fighting over the cattle.all this talk of cattle prices slipping was not in evidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

I have been trying to get prices for dairy bred bulls R;s and O;s
    the seem to be slipping 4.00 for r 3.85 for o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

We've been around long enough now to know that if factories really want cattle they drop the price a few cents, creates a bit of a panic. Also dairy farmers would have a lot of 2 yr old cattle fit around now. Dairy farmers tend to be soft sellers for three reasons;
    1. Big overdraft,
    2. big meal bills this time of yr
    3. cattle are only a hobby for dairy farmers.
    In the UK a lot of finished cattle are sold in the ring. Larry wants farmers to bring cattle direct to slaughter, I wonder why?

This year of all years we have to dig our fukkin heels in

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

blue5000 wrote: »
    We've been around long enough now to know that if factories really want cattle they drop the price a few cents, creates a bit of a panic. Also dairy farmers would have a lot of 2 yr old cattle fit around now. Dairy farmers tend to be soft sellers for three reasons;
    1. Big overdraft,
    2. big meal bills this time of yr
    3. cattle are only a hobby for dairy farmers.
    This year of all years we have to dig our fukkin heels in

You are right about dairy farmers and this time of year they also need room for calves and and want to ge rid of extra workload as of feeding finishing cattle as cows start to calf.
    Usually these cattle are around unti late March this year there might not be as many as a lot of cattle were killed of of grass and a lot of dairy farmers sold there calves for export in 2010. I am inclined to hold myself as I only have the one pen of finishing cattle left.

Also look at the sheep sector when lambs became scarce for the first time two years ago factories use to try the same trick drop prices to flush out the soft seller. But this year the Lamb factories have given it up as sheep farmer will only dig in if they drop below 5 euro/kgs. We have to stop listening to the bulldung until after next christmas

• Advertisement
Advertisement