Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG or Biology?

• 04-02-2012 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi im in fourth year and we have to pick our subjects for the Leaving cert in the next few weeks. I want to study medicine at third level and Ive decided on doing Chemistry and physics. For a 7th subject sould i do Biology or Design and communication graphics? I got an A in T.G. for the junior cert, but soo did everyone else (great teacher and he will be the DCG teacher next year too) and a B in sciance, which tbh i hardly worked at at all. Any help would b great. Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

If you want to study medicine biology would be really helpful, it's also regarded as a pretty "easy" subject. It's quite different to junior cert, at least I like it a lot more now then I did back then. You get to do fun things like dissect hearts too, which has an obvious link to medicine :D
    But at the end of the day it's up to you, if you think you could pick up biology in your first year of college and would enjoy DCG more/think you'd get a better grade in it, feel free to go with that. DCG would be a nice break from science subjects too, I'm doing all 3 and essentially all very academic subjects, sometimes I think it would be nice to have done a more creative subject instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I would strongly advise biology for medicine. Even though its not a requirement to get into the course, having the background in biology is so useful. At the same time, if you're going for a high points course you need to pick subjects that you will get A's in.

I can't speak for DCG, but LC biology is all rote learning. Do you think this is something you can do well in? If DCG has a practical component, will you be able to afford the time to do that as well as study for all your other subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gawdd

If you are going for med i would have to say do bio. it is so relevant to med and it is a very easy subject if you are interested. But as you have the science requirements for med you dont necessary need the bio. As well dcg takes a step up from the jc and you would have to have alot of spatial ability to get your A . well my advice is do whatever subject you think you'll get your points in and you will enjoy as you already have the science requirements for med :) good luck deciding!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Do the subject you think you'll get the better score in.
    You'll need every point you can manage to get a ticket for Med
    Be ruthless in your choices

Advertisement