Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical warranty

Options
  • 04-02-2012 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

Hiya, its been a while but I remember plenty of threads on here talking about an extended warranty of 'reasonable life' on electrical goods in law?

Specifically I am talking about equipment that is very expensive, over 3k. Initially bought in Nov 2010, replaced in Jan 2011 due to a fault, same fault with new product in Jan 2012, just over the year of replacement. I would just like to have the info correct before referring to it. Mails have been sent to the supplier and manufacturer but with no reply so far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

Hiya, its been a while but I remember plenty of threads on here talking about an extended warranty of 'reasonable life' on electrical goods in law?

Specifically I am talking about equipment that is very expensive, over 3k. Initially bought in Nov 2010, replaced in Jan 2011 due to a fault, same fault with new product in Jan 2012, just over the year of replacement. I would just like to have the info correct before referring to it. Mails have been sent to the supplier and manufacturer but with no reply so far.

Whats the equipment? its difficult to estimate a reasonable lifespan when we dont know the product.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Your contract of sale is with the retailer not the manufacturer, the retailer is obliged by law to offer to repair replace or refund for defects or faaults not due to customer damage or misuse. Goods must be reasonably durable given their use price paid etc and fit for their purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Thanks foggy, I know it is the supplier but when there was no response we forwarded the complaint tot he manufacturer also.

Do you, or anyone else for that matter, recall where it says that there should be a reasonable life of a product. Im not sure if it is part of EU law or Irish but I am certain I have read of it here on a few occasions.

Morrisey it is musical equipment, speakers to be precise, the 2 larger ones blew, the first set blew on second use, the second set blew, prob used maybe 10 or 12 times. Rather than connect straight to socket though we would always ensure they were connected to a surge plug first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Do you, or anyone else for that matter, recall where it says that there should be a reasonable life of a product. Im not sure if it is part of EU law or Irish but I am certain I have read of it here on a few occasions.
    Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980

14. (3) Goods are of merchantable quality if they are as fit for the purpose or purposes for which goods of that kind are commonly bought and as durable as it is reasonable to expect having regard to any description applied to them, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances, and any reference in this Act to unmerchantable goods shall be construed accordingly.

As said above, deal with the retailer. You can only use the law against them, and not the manufacturer, as you have a contract with the retailer only.

Thanks cast, that is exactly what I was looking for!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Thanks foggy, I know it is the supplier but when there was no response we forwarded the complaint tot he manufacturer also.

Morrisey it is musical equipment, speakers to be precise, the 2 larger ones blew, the first set blew on second use, the second set blew, prob used maybe 10 or 12 times. Rather than connect straight to socket though we would always ensure they were connected to a surge plug first.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html some more information here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Did you buy the equipment as a consumer or as part of a business?
    If it is the later, forget everything said in the posts before.

As a consumer. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Initially bought in Nov 2010, replaced in Jan 2011 due to a fault, same fault with new product in Jan 2012

As far as I know, if you get a replacement product the warranty is also replaced as it is a new product, therefore a new warranty. If there is a 1 year warranty on the product, it should not expire until Jan 2012. I may be wrong but I am nearly positive this is the case...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

RoboRat wrote: »
    As far as I know, if you get a replacement product the warranty is also replaced as it is a new product, therefore a new warranty. If there is a 1 year warranty on the product, it should not expire until Jan 2012. I may be wrong but I am nearly positive this is the case...
    No, warranties are normally only from the date of the original purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

mdebets wrote: »
    No, warranties are normally only from the date of the original purchase.

Yeah checked it out and you're right about that!

Advertisement