Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you take the wallet or give it back?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I'd give it back but if the wallet was bulging I'd slyly mention I'm a bit poor in the hope that I would get a reward. I couldn't steal a wallet if I thought it belonged to some poor person I'd feel like ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

TheZohan wrote: »
    Hmmm...I hadn't completely made my mind up about you...but I have now.

Yes, I am a capitalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

Of course I'd give the wallet back. I'd take out all the money first though. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If somebody loses something personal like a phone or a watch or piece of jewellery....I would always return it. I have done in the past. This belongs to somebody. It has personal meaning to somebody and it always hurts to lose something you own.

Money though? I would probably keep it. Not a popular opinion perhaps but an honest one. The people who claim they would return the wallet......I find it interesting what they would do if a suitcase with a million quid in turned up at their door. Would they make an effort to return it or keep it.

I find moralists steadfast opinions on matters such as these changes somewhat when it becomes large sums of money....which tells it's own story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'd always try to return a wallet. I doubt the person gives much of a **** about the €50 note in there but the hassle of having to get bank cards, credit cards, possibly ID etc replaced.

Kirby wrote: »
    If somebody loses something personal like a phone or a watch or piece of jewellery....I would always return it. I have done in the past. This belongs to somebody. It has personal meaning to somebody and it always hurts to lose something you own.

Money though? I would probably keep it. Not a popular opinion perhaps but an honest one. The people who claim they would return the wallet......I find it interesting what they would do if a suitcase with a million quid in turned up at their door. Would they make an effort to return it or keep it.

I find moralists steadfast opinions on matters such as these changes somewhat when it becomes large sums of money....which tells it's own story.

I don't believe you.
    So if you found a Rolex watch you would hand it in to the Garda station?
    Wise up.

My girlfriend found a 3 carat diamond solitaire engagement ring worth about 15,000 Euro. She handed it in to the local Garda station. Two weeks later the Guards phoned her saying the owner had got the ring back and was very grateful. That was it, no reward. More fool her. I told her to sell it, but no; she knew best and handed it in. She wished she had sold it now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

I had a dilema similar to this a few weeks ago. Not as bad a keeping a wallet but still a difficult decsion to make.

I had bought a roll, it came to like 3.50 I handed the shopkeeper a five euro note, she handed me back 46.50, she obviously must have thaught I handed her a 50 euro note.

Anyway I kept the money because I didnt want to make her feel stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Abi wrote: »
    Give it back without hesitation. So many times I've copped people leaving wallets, purses, phones and bank cards behind. I would have a sh1t haemorrhage if I lost anything like that, do the right thing and give them the heads up.

Nice!

I have always handed up anything of that nature that I have found. I put myself in the mindset of the one who lost it and cold not do otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

if i saw the person who dropped it/was looking for it i wouldnt have the heart to say nothing and keep it tbh, but if there was noone around then im going to be bad and say id keep it, i think.
    thinking about it now makes me feel bad though, its not as if it was loose cash on the ground, it being a wallet its more like it belongs to someone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd give it back. Sh1tty to keep it - and you never know how strapped for cash the person is. From a more selfish point of view, it's not like it's just a blank envelope with no I.D., cards etc. I know the contents are unknown but a wallet is highly likely to contain these things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

also as somebody who lost their wallet and had it found and left in my bank for me months later. THANK YOU

Kirby wrote: »

How are they moralists just because they have a different take to you? The OP said something similar - looks like projecting tbh. And the suitcase analogy is disingenuous. The scenario in the OP is: the owner of the wallet is in full view, I firmly believe most people would give it back. Just because you and the OP are in a minority and you're not comfortable with doing something so sh1tty, no need to imply people here are lying.
    As for a case of millions showing up at your door, well I don't know how that would happen, but if it did, you're not going to know whose it is are you? It would be fair to consider it might be for you, seeing as it landed at your door. More than likely it's the fruit of a criminal operation so I'd probably do nothing with it for my safety. Maybe I'd rob a few notes all right though, not enough to make a noticeable dent. Can't see how that compares though with some guy's wallet which might only contain €30 to do him 'til payday.

You may be giving your honest answer but that doesn't mean others aren't.

TheZohan wrote: »
    I would keep it.
    His loss, my gain.
    A man should take care of his wallet.
    I found an iphone once, sold it for 300 Euro. Then I flew to Ibiza for the weekend, had a free night out.

Hmmm...I hadn't completely made my mind up about you...but I have now.
    Meh, I'd say he's lying. It's not easy to "just sell" an iPhone, what with security code, traceability, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if you know who owns it, or can find out, then yes, always give it back.

but if it's just lets say a wallet with cash in it, I'm not gonna hand it into the Garda station in a hurry, they'd probably keep the money themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

If I saw somebody drop a wallet or a wad of money (as I have in the past) I'd call them and hand it back to them. If I just found a wallet I'd make every effort to get it back to them, and hand it in to gardai, but if I just found money then it's fair game.

Also found a phone before and had to make a few international calls (from my own phone) to find out any way of getting in contact with the owner who was on holiday in Dublin, eventually managed to and got it back to him the morning he was meant to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

****ing pocket the cash, give him a ring a few hours later, tell him you found his empty wallet, then try and blag a reward.

Good karma + twice the cash = result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,211 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I'd definitely give it back. It's a really nice gesture for a start and I'd like to think the majority of people would do the same. Strangely enough this happened to me 2 days ago. I unknowingly dropped my wallet on the ground on the way to get a bus as I was going on a day trip. Thankfully one of my course instructors informed me it was found and handed into the centre. The kind man who found it left his phone number so I could contact him later and I told him it meant a lot that he found it and returned it. It just goes to show that there are really genuine people out there still in a world full of greed and corruption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭Howlin1

I once did find a reverends travel pass (I think it was a reverends, someone religious but not a priest). His address was on it so I picked it up and sent it to him in the post.

I have found some USB keys in college that I did find the owner of and handed it back to them (I looked though the stuff on it to find out who owned it.

About 2 weeks ago I did find a wallet with €35 in it in college, there was a students college id card in it and all. I was thinking on trying to find the person myself but I decided to hand it into Campus Services. They said they would try contact the student.

I would try find the person myself if not then I would probably bring it to the guards and/or email the local radio station.

skregs wrote: »
    ****ing pocket the cash, give him a ring a few hours later, tell him you found his empty wallet, then try and blag a reward.

Good karma + twice the cash = result

I would count that as bad karma seeing as you took the money and then tried to get a reward for handing back some of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

whatsamsn wrote: »
    You are walking along the street and some guy drops his wallet. You are in a position to take it. No one is going to see. Contents of wallet are unknown.

So what do you do?

(A) pick it up for yourself
    or
    (B) inform him he dropped his wallet and give it back.

Morality test time boards :pac:

are you trying to trick us?

Poll options have the two choices in reverse order (and worded differently).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Morricone

Being honest I'd probably take the money and leave the wallet outside a police station. But that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Morricone wrote: »
    Being honest I'd probably take the money and leave the wallet outside a police station. But that's just me.

That's being dishonest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

It'd be his money that he worked for so I'd feel bad taking it. Aswell as that, his ID or whatever cards he had would mean alot more to him than to me. And I've a moral conscience :P couldn't take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I'd definitely give it back. it could have someones last €20 in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 LemonPledge

Id defiantly hand it in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Morricone

That's being dishonest.

I understand that perfectly well but finders keepers and all that jazz. The cards wouldn't be of any real use to me, or the ID cards for that matter so I'd leave them outside of a police station so the relevant authorities could return the cards to the owner.

also as somebody who lost their wallet and had it found and left in my bank for me months later. THANK YOU
    My wallet fell out of my coat pocket a couple of months ago and someone handed it into the nearby shop for me - I was overjoyed, but at the same time, I kinda expected someone would - I have faith in most people when it comes to stuff like that.
    You never know what a person's story could be - I had taken a good bit of cash out, not because I'm loaded but because I'd got paid that day and was planning to use it for my work Christmas party that night and to start Christmas shopping the next day.

Morricone wrote: »
    That's being dishonest.

I understand that perfectly well but finders keepers and all that jazz.
    You'd do something like that because an old cliche says so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Karma doesn't exist.

I'd still give him the wallet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

I would go out of my way to return it to the person who lost it! I could never take something that wasn't mine, the guilt would kill me!
    I'd be such a sh1t criminal :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 darcycheng

honesty is the best policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Give it back, of course!

I have found 4(!!) iPhones in the past 6 months. 2 at work and 2 while I was out. Why do people buy these things and lose them? Returned them all anyway. If lost something I'd prefer to have it returned to me and all that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

whatsamsn wrote: »
    Morality test time boards :pac:

I'd psychoanalysis him first, hoody, dirty track suit bottoms with big bum, I'd assume he's stolen it already and is just hoping some Sap will pick it up so they can get the blame instead.

Bowler hat, pin stripe suite a chauffeur waiting and obvious mistress on his arm a fraction of his age, forget it sunshine, thanks for the tip.

Anyone who looked like Michael O'Leary, thanks pal, this is mine. Anyone who looked like Bertie, no way is he getting it back.

If the wallet contains an ESB employees card, I'm off on holiday for three months.

If the guy has just helped an old lady across the road, I'd probably forego any analysis and call him to pick it up, or pick it up myself and run after him ~ dangerous I know, he could be any of the above and I wouldn't know until it was too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

i posted allready on this with my own experience,

today my daughter found a filofax in local town,brought it home anyway gave it to me.so i opened it as i knew first page should have all contact details.and luck may have it all info there.

rang the mobile no answer so sent a tex still no repley.so after a hr opened it again got home number.rang it and her husband answered,i explained the hold story to him.

he told me she was heading to limerick city for a night out must have stoped off in town fell out when door opened as these things happen.

anyway he could not get over the fact that we were honest enough to hand it back i knew by his voice he was very gratefull and very glad to get it back as it had everything in it he said.

anyway thats it folks im glad its going back to its rightfull owner and even more glad my teaching of right and wrong of things in life is working with my little girl as she is only 9:) and has the sence to know finders is not keepers when it comes to peoples property:)

Advertisement