Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swollen tip of dog's penis

• 04-02-2012 9:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭

The very tip of his penis is sticking out and doesn't seem to want to go back in. First noticed it yesterday evening about 7pm and it's still the same, he's licking down there more than usual and doesn't seem too bothered about me poking around (he's not screaming in pain everytime I touch it in other words). Before I go bundling him off down to the vets later could it possibly be that the neighbour's bitch is in heat? He reacted like that before, I'm being told he was tripping over it for a few days around then. Going to bring him for a walk later to watch him pee but I don't think he has any trouble passing. He's under 6 years old and neutered. Photo attached.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

If it won't go back in you need to get him to the vet ASAP. If there is any kind of damage, the tissue could become necrotic and die. I'm not trying to be dramatic here, but this is a problem that can become very serious very fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I would def bring him to the vets. It shouldnt stick our like that all the time and it looks quite sore so I would get it checked out. Ive an entire male and his never stays out like that, even after a mating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Went back in shortly after I initially posted and has been in since. I met my neighbour from two doors down this evening and turns out her bitch is in heat at the moment. The title is a little misleading as it wasn't swollen as such, just not going back in. Peeing normally and is otherwise in good form so just going to keep an eye on it and put it down to the bitch being in heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ah right, well once it goes back in thats fine. Hopefully it wont happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

One of my sister's dogs has the tip of his out pretty much all the time. It's never swollen and he never seems to be at it but it's always a case of "whoa there it is" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

One of my sister's dogs has the tip of his out pretty much all the time. It's never swollen and he never seems to be at it but it's always a case of "whoa there it is" :D

Charlie is very emm visual about his too. :rolleyes: Pops out every now and again for a peep and usually goes back in after a minute or two. Not very nice when he rolls over for a belly rub and it's staring up at you, typical male. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

One of my fellas has this issue or at least something similar, its mostly been either hygiene or hair. When he was a pup he needed a bit of help cleaning down there, a little personal trimming sorts it these days. He's your baba don't be sqeamish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

They are just excited, it is normal behavior, dont worry

Advertisement