Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vomiting cat

• 04-02-2012 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭

Maybe some Vets or cat experts can help

We have two cats, sisters, same age 2yrs approx. They spend a lot of time outside, every night & most of everyday, mon-fri, in the house from 4pm to midnight & in and out at weekends.

Last November, one of them started vomiting straight after eating otherwise her form is good, went to vet, they couldn't find anything obvious, gave injection to stop vomiting, sent home, kept her in for 24hrs with no food, then some feline i/d gastrointestinal food for a few days with instructions to bring back if no improvement.

No improvement so back to vet, Xrays (nothing showed up) & they kept her in for a couple of days, hydrated her, sent her home. Total cost €280. All good since then

Started vomiting again last week, got some Maxolon 10mg tablets & food from vet, if no improvement was told to bring her back as they may have to open her up?? symptons cleared after a few days, fine for a week, back to vomiting again this morning

Just don't have another €280 spare at the moment, anyone have a similar experience or advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 crazy_janey

I not a cat expert but I have one cat who is just over 2 years old. Hes outside during the day (when its not too cold) but he always sleeps inside.
    When we got him first he used to vomit every night and like you, there was nothing wrong with him that the vet found! Then he went through a period of not vomiting for almost 9 months but during and after Christmas he started again. We think it may have been due to stress (my sis brought her 2 dogs home for Christmas).

We recently changed his food and now feed him mostly dry food and give him a small bit of wet food at 10pm, about an hour before we put him into his bed. This has stopped him vomiting! It might have been the hard food before bed that was too heavy for his tummy. We also keep an eye on him to make sure hes not eating too fast.

I hope this has helped and I have my fingers crossed its nothing serious for your cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭franco25

Hi we had something similar - two cats - one younger one would vomit alot - very sensitive stomach - give both ham, she would within an hour - have her on special vet food for sensitive stomach - in the past we tried a couple of times to get her off this as it was expensive/hard to get and each time it hasn't gone too well! At this stage she will stay on this (no more changing)! She even picked a urinary tract infection aswell based on changing her food! Also was real sick around christmas - wouldn't eat for days and was put on anti-biotics. All cleared up now and is as wild as ever! This cat is more prone to eating crap from other bins - also the first one to go head into a fight!

It is though to compare two cats - one doesn't give us any problems, the other has every problem under the sun! different strokes for different folks i guess! different personalities!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Thanks for replies,

The only one stressed is me!! both are pampered to death

They are on the same food brand since birth but that doesn't really mean anything

Neither of them are big fans of the dry food, only eat it under protest, much prefer the wet food

Will limit her to dry food for a few days

The vomiting is within 1min of eating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

you could also try feeding smaller amounts at a time - some cats eat too much too fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

Hi, I had a similar problem with one of my cats a few years ago. We were feeding our cats Hills dry food and some wet food at the time. We tried changing brands of wet food, as we assumed that the Hills, being vet recommended couldn't be the problem.

When we did take him off the Hills the problem stopped. Now our cats are on Royal Canin Slimness and Royal Canin Exigent with some wet food. We've not had any vomiting, both cats coats are in amazing condition and both are full of energy. I don't think Hills is all its cracked up to be.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

What food are they on? They may be on the same food the whole time but some manufacturers are changing recipes without people knowing. Hills for example just changed their recipe for the adult chicken and added wheat to it!! Why, I dont know, but i'm guessing because wheat is a cheap filler. I know some other brands have done the same and I'm a bit suspicious about Royal canin because they changed the look of their bags lately and suddenly all of my cats were throwing up the food they had been on for several months. Might be better off trying a sensitive food.

On another note, does she chew at all? Or does she run around after eating? One of mine eats without chewing and regurgitates the whole lot minutes later, so has to be on a food with a big kibble to make him chew.

EDIT- just noticed you said its within a minute of eating. My guess would be she isn't chewing and is simply hoovering up the food. Try one of the oral care foods with a bigger kibble and see does that make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

one of my ccats used to vomit almost every night we had her on whiskers tins so changed her diet to dry only for a few weeks and that sorted her out she now has dry/tin and scraps no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Is your cat wormed and treated for fleas?
    My boy was vomiting, turns out he needed his Advocat.
    I was treating him every 3 months, but because he is out a lot and catching mice, he needed to be dosed every 2 months.
    he hasn't got sick since!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

My cat used to be an awful one for vomiting, I used to just leave a big bowl of dry food down for her and she'd pick at it over the day. She used to eat too much at once and throw it back up again about a minute later completely undigested. Started feeding her a few small meals throughout the day and it stopped. Now she will only vomit if she eats a big feed of grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Same experience as above posters. Our fat bastard would see the kibbles, run up, wolf down the bowl, ten minutes later, all back up.

Try giving her half portions and see if she can keep that down, if that doesnt help try pouches instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭moggser

<MOD SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

moggser - post helpfully or not at all.

Advertisement