Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATHLONE CHINESE HUB

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

This is correct. The Chinese will ship in their own cheap labour, that is just their way of doing things. No frills, no after business golf and drinking trips.

Don't be offended.

The number of green cards is being limited. they won't have it all their own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Alfasud

Check out todays Irish Independent page14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Many of the comments agree that it's bollocks as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Will they be trying to pawn off the proposed Tubber Airport as Athlone International

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Will they be trying to pawn off the proposed Tubber Airport as Athlone International

Surely you mean "prawn off" st mel ?? hehehe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

There isnt a word about this now, has it stopped or are there behind the scenes actions that we are not aware of.

Steven81 wrote: »
    There isnt a word about this now, has it stopped or are there behind the scenes actions that we are not aware of.

They're still trying to grow the magic money tree!

yokohama%20chinatown%20fantasy%2012.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Steven81 wrote: »

Or has it dawned on someone that maybe possibly perhaps sometimes the path to success does *not* involve building another shopping center/industrial unit/apartment block/etc?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

LLU wrote: »
    Or has it dawned on someone that maybe possibly perhaps sometimes the path to success does *not* involve building another shopping center/industrial unit/apartment block/etc?

That's exactly it. They're just going to farm the large amount of land with rice paddies. It's a win win!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

That's exactly it. They're just going to farm the large amount of land with rice paddies. It's a win win!

plenty of land along the shannon that floods! thanks to the ESB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Done a lot of searching on the Internet and have found no update on this story in quite a while. Any word know what the latest developments are with the hub?

1huge1 wrote: »
    Done a lot of searching on the Internet and have found no update on this story in quite a while. Any word know what the latest developments are with the hub?
    Realistically, it was a non-runner, all it was was a group of speculators who bought up land in the run up to the peak of the boom who are now desperately trying to sell it on to "the greater fool" the Chinese are not fools.

The Irish government haven't fallen for it either!

It will still be fields for a few decades more, only possible developments may be wind turbines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

A white elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I think a delegation went over to China recently to seek out investors/tennents etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4 djethro

In the news recently they went over prior to St patricks day this year, so it's not dead yet I guess.

djethro wrote: »
    In the news recently they went over prior to St patricks day this year, so it's not dead yet I guess.
    But what did they come back with? My guess is nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

But what did they come back with?!

Not even a shhhtick of rock?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Not a notion of what's going on with the Chinese trade hub. I see the scale model isn't available in the civic centre for viewing anymore. Anyone know the story behind negotiations, as I've heard conflicting reports that it is and isn't going ahead.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Anyone know if anything is going ahead or has it been scraped?

• Advertisement

The deafening silence is all that I've heard so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Once ya can still get the salt and chilli ribs in the Imperial on Northgate Street we have all the Chinese business we need in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Fair to assume that this is stalled for the moment/ for good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

All a dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

Anything more happen about this after or is it dead in the water?

Shout Dust wrote: »
    Anything more happen about this after or is it dead in the water?
    It was always a dream, and still is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

It was always a dream, and still is.

It was dead in the water before it started

All a dream.
    galait wrote: »
    It was dead in the water before it started

Why do I feel I should post a video of Susan Boyle, "I dreamed a dream".

On saying that, something needs to be done in this town to give it a bit of a boost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Itzy wrote: »
    Why do I feel I should post a video of Susan Boyle, "I dreamed a dream".

On saying that, something needs to be done in this town to give it a bit of a boost.

I travel around the country and Athlone is looking much healthier than most other towns of a similar size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Deja Vu....

London mayor Boris Johnson recently (Oct 2nd) took part in a PR blitz in involving a bunch of Chinese 'businessmen' who unveiled plans to rebuild the Crystal Palace from the 1851 Great Exhibition in Hyde Park which was relocated to Penge Common in south London and burnt down in 1936. Couldn't help thinking of the Athlone business hub when watching the grandiose plans which included a scale model and the Lord Mayor licking assorted arses.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2442468/Crystal-Palace-rebuild-plans-unveiled.html

Advertisement