Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eczema, asthma, digestive problems in infancy, panic attacks

• 04-02-2012 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Just wondering if any adoptees have any of these problems.

Its said that these are physical manifestations from the separation of the birth mother from the child.

I myself have had three of the four and out of 3 other adoptees I have met only one didnt have any of these symptoms while the others had at least 2 in one case and three in the other.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

I had colic very bad when my mam and dad got me a 6 weeks but I dont think it was anything to do with separation from BM, more to do with being in Temple Hill for the first 6 weeks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

All of them:)
    At different times though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Myself and several other adopted people were discussing this previously, and in addition to these physical things also noted a high propensity to hoard, sometimes to ridiculous levels.

Re- digestive disorders etc, I've severe Crohn's Disease, among other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi, i did have a bad skin infection when my aparents got me, any digestive problems i think is caused by giving newborns cows milk. i got my file from bessboro and i was being fed watered down cows milk from day one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

kathy finn wrote: »
    hi, i did have a bad skin infection when my aparents got me, any digestive problems i think is caused by giving newborns cows milk. i got my file from bessboro and i was being fed watered down cows milk from day one.

Ye gods- sometimes I wonder how any of us managed to make it. They never even told my adoptive parents that you had to put a hole in the teeth of the bottle (they came without holes in those days) and unless there are bubbles in the bottle that baby isn't getting any milk........ Dr. Spock was supposed to cover every eventuality- supplemented in my family with 'Where there is no doctor'.........

Looking back its almost bizarre the total and utter lack of information given to adoptive parents- it was pretty much get called to a meeting in SPG (or Cunamh or where-ever) without any information given that this was going to be the day that baby was to be collected or anything. My adoptive parents bought a cot for me on their way home.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Floydman

Ya My foster experience also included been given the wrong food and was just neglective in general. Could also be something to do with it also.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My parents got a call like that too.
    They took a half day from work and headed over for their chat and left with me!
    My mother called my granny who got some supplies of clothes etc and they stopped in a shop on the way home for formula and essentials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I had asthma when I was younger, so did my brother, and we were both adopted.
    No other problems though as far as I remember. Maybe a bit of colic, but nothing serious.
    I was given to my parents when I was 6 days old, so very early.
    It was a case of buying bottles and formula on the way home as well! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Very interesting topic. Does anyone know if there have been any studies done on it.
    The lack of medical family history is something that goes through our minds any time the girls have a sniffle (thankfully they have been very healthy).

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭LennieB

I never experieced any of these problems myself, had a very healthy life so far thankfully, but my 2 children did suffer from Asthma, one grew out of it, and the other one still does from time to time. I had never had it or my husbands family. When I met my birthparents they told me that their daughter's children also had Asthma which was interesting, at least I could tell the doctor there was a history of it in the family (always had to tell them before that I didn't know my medical history because I was adopted).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 moihugs

No thank god Ive had none of the above to be honest!! Know quite a few others that were adopted too and one would have had asthma and another panic attacks!!The one with the panic attacks would say now though that the panic attacks happened cause her brother who was her adoptive parents biological son was sick and although she wasnt looking for attention it was a way of getting attention!!!Would be quite friendly with another 4 as well and they had no health probs either!! Didnt know that this was possible but you can imagine a wee babe being moved from billy to jack most be terrible!!Know my parents did say that I never "made strange" with anyone!!Now that could be that i was a very sociable babe lol!!or that ur moved about from person to person!!It does worry me though that we havent access to our medical family history!! With kids myself its something u are asked so often. Have got my biolgical mums full name etc(searched last yr)so must head back to search real soon(marriage cert and her 3 other kids she had before me!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭diabeticmum

My husband is adopted and when he was a baby he suffered with terrible colic when his adoptive parents had him for the first year, he still gets panic attacks when sleeping. Interesting to read this

Advertisement