Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jacinta O'Brien (Plassey) 10K 2012 Date?

Options
  • 04-02-2012 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know if this race is going ahead this year as normal in University of Limerick? Normally happens in late March but can't find any info about a 2012 race at the moment.

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

I don't have a date but keep an eye out here http://www.jacintaobrien10k.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

That page says the 22nd April and the 25th March. Both days are good for me though, so I'll be there whichever one it actually is. I've done this race 3 times before and always enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Marty09

I did the Plassey 10K race also last year, it is very well organised, a good course to run.
    Will definetly do it again this year when the date is clarified.

For you info also....
    The rowing club at UL are holding a 10k on St. Patricks day around the UL grounds, I did this one also last year and some of it followed the Plassey 10k course, crossing bridges etc.
    It's not chipped timed and not sure if the circuit has been officially measured but it's still a nice run and good training for other 10ks.

http://www.paddysrun.com/index.php
    http://www.ulrowing.com/pages/page.php?page=Run

The 2013 Plassey (Jacinta O'Brien) 10k is on again this Sunday 21st April in UL at 10am.

Tends to be really well organised by the sports science students each year, chip timed etc.
    Route includes part of the Great Limerick Run full marathon course.

Nice scenic route around campus...recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gigtown

Is it definitely chip timed this year?

Kind of a deal breaker and the answer to the question in the FAQ's is blank!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I heard from some of the athletes that the course was short.

The result sheet only gave the bib numbers and the winning time. No names of the athletes. All other times were given in relation to the winning time.

Interesting article

http://munsterrunning.blogspot.ie/search/label/Jacinta%20O%27Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

was wondering what the delay with results was, glad i steered clear

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭super_freddie

Unfortunately this year's event was not one of the better-organised ones:
    • Race started 15 / 20 minutes late to allow Richie Clifford time to do his celebrity gig participant warm-up. Nothing wrong with that but do it in time.
    • Length of the race was 9.81km according to my Garmin Forerunner.
    • Delay in publication of results and format in which they were published was very unsatisfactory, as discussed earlier in thread. The Munster running blog is a reputable source: when that says these were the worst results munterrunning's ever seen, that means something.
    • (Admitted personal opinion) Route used was not the best - the lap of the astro pitches on north campus seemed particularly patched together. I wish they's just pick a route for JO'B 10K and stick to it every year.
    On a positive note, the stewarding was excellent, the t-shirts were nice, decent refreshments / water stops etc. Worst thing is - none of the things mentioned above require any extra cost to fix, just an increased level of organisational competence.

Looking forward to improvement next year!

super_freddie.

Unfortunately this year's event was not one of the better-organised ones:
    • Race started 15 / 20 minutes late to allow Richie Clifford time to do his celebrity gig participant warm-up. Nothing wrong with that but do it in time.
    • Length of the race was 9.81km according to my Garmin Forerunner.
    • Delay in publication of results and format in which they were published was very unsatisfactory, as discussed earlier in thread. The Munster running blog is a reputable source: when that says these were the worst results munterrunning's ever seen, that means something.
    • (Admitted personal opinion) Route used was not the best - the lap of the astro pitches on north campus seemed particularly patched together. I wish they's just pick a route for JO'B 10K and stick to it every year.
    On a positive note, the stewarding was excellent, the t-shirts were nice, decent refreshments / water stops etc. Worst thing is - none of the things mentioned above require any extra cost to fix, just an increased level of organisational competence.

Looking forward to improvement next year!

super_freddie.

Would agree with you Super Freddie,
    The event this year was not comparable in quality with the previous years.
    Usually the UL Sports Science Department have everything right.
    This year it dropped in standard:
    1. This was first time in a few years it was not chip timed, having the event timed professionally allows proper and acurate race results and not like this years poor results effort.
    For the €20 / €25 entry fee you would expect it to be timed like previous years.
    2. Do not see the reason to change part of the route every year...the part out along main road to roundabout is consistent each year..just need to find a route inside the UL that is accurate and stay with it.

Agree on positive side it was very well stewarded and post race drinks and snacks.

Would like this event to stay on the calender every year... justs needs a bit of improving as discussed for next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement