Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron Sulphate

Options
  • 04-02-2012 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where I can get iron sulphate?

You used to be able to get a bag of the stuff in garden places, but I only seem to be able to find stuff to kill moss on lawns. I don't find this stuff to be as effective as just the straight iron sulphate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

I got a 25kg bag at the local farmers co op, called goldcrop sulphate of iron- 22 euros. need to mix it with sand because it a power and sand makes it easier to spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Bought it in Morris s the other day, the moss is going black already

wellboytoo wrote: »

Did you spread it on direct or did you mix it with sand?

If you used sand what ratio did you use.

No used a rotary spreader to put it on direct. had to tape up the slot to limit the feed but did the job perfectly and a hell of a lot cheaper than weed and feed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I got a 25kg bag at the local farmers co op, called goldcrop sulphate of iron- 22 euros. need to mix it with sand because it a power and sand makes it easier to spread.
    Which Co-op did you go to?

Where abouts in Morris's did you get it. I had a look there about 2-3 weeks ago, and couldn't see it.

It is next to the feed and weed, I was surprised they had it as they have not for years, €18.95 for a 15kg bag, they only had about 6 bags left a week ago , and you would want to do it before the end of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I got similar thing but i diluted it in water. Two trowels to 9 litres water. Moss blackens within hour and my grass is already starting to take back control by growing up through it.

Which Co-op did you go to?

Where abouts in Morris's did you get it. I had a look there about 2-3 weeks ago, and couldn't see it.

Not sure if it was dairy gold or Kerry co op.

Where all the farmers hang out and chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Hi. I have a 15KG bag. Any idea how much I should spread? I have a 1/2 acre garden and had intended on spreading it with a normal push rotary spreader. Ta..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Hi. I have a 15KG bag. Any idea how much I should spread? I have a 1/2 acre garden and had intended on spreading it with a normal push rotary spreader. Ta..

Is it the blue power grains?I use a knap sack with a nozzle that allows fast flow, this lets the grains out or if you have those hand fertiliser spreaders might work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Not sure, I haven't opened it yet, but its about 1.5-2 foot long narrow white bag. Looks more like a salty texture I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Not sure, I haven't opened it yet, but its about 1.5-2 foot long narrow white bag. Looks more like a salty texture I think...

Ya sounds like the stuff I have. I was told to mix it with sand and throw it around. That's a lot of trouble.
    I throw five or six big cups in to a 15 litre knap sack, I can change the nozzle to a fast flow one and works great. Kill moss in a few hours.

Advertisement