Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politicians "pimping"

Options
  • 04-02-2012 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Been thinking about this thread

While I believe it should be encouraged for politicians to engage in their regions on Boards this type of hit and run good news thread strikes me as pure pimping which if it was a company doing the same would have consequences.

Views?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The one thing I would point out is the politician in question has contributed to the forum for some time. We have made it clear to him that no electioneering will be entertained, and he has respected that.

In this case we simply saw it as relaying some news that was of interest to posters in the region. He did not try to claim any credit for the funding obtained (although it may be the case that he lobbied for it - tbh, I have no idea if this is the case).

The politician did initially invite questions to be directed to him, and you will note the other Mod in the forum amended the post to make it clear that any discussion of the initiatives should not be taken off-thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Think we should see more of it, myself.

Once it's kept civil and constructive-and on the thread, why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Absolutely to be encouraged but picking only the good news to be engaged with while ignoring the bad stuff not good. Using boards.ie to get elected and then virtually disappearing (based on number of posts before and after) also not good. My own view is that there should be a once a month boards.ie virtual clinic in the regional board.

Perhaps I'm a little too cynical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

SeaSide wrote: »
    Absolutely to be encouraged but picking only the good news to be engaged with while ignoring the bad stuff not good. Using boards.ie to get elected and then virtually disappearing (based on number of posts before and after) also not good. My own view is that there should be a once a month boards.ie virtual clinic in the regional board.

Perhaps I'm a little too cynical.

I raised the same issue in the past when Darragh was Communications Manager because the said politician was happy to drop in good news stories but when anyone asked him a critical question he just ignored the post. I think strangely it was the time coming into the last election. Didn't really get anywhere do turning the posters account into a rep account was raised.

Advertisement