Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Felt missing under slates

• 04-02-2012 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi Everyone!!,Victorian house 130 years old, roof redone 20 yrs ago,but no felt unders slates in the bay window area,which is hard to get to and has irregular rafters any easy way to fix the problem without removing the tiles? any help much appreciated thanks:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

You could get it spray foamed . Its breathable , good insulation and if the slates are old it is great for holding them in place

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

moy83 wrote: »
    You could get it spray foamed . Its breathable , good insulation and if the slates are old it is great for holding them in place
    show me a spray foam with IAB cert for this application??? ha, some chance.

OP, why do you need to rectify this? if there is a problem with condensation or dampness then you already know what to do: take of the slates and get it done right. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

BryanF wrote: »
    show me a spray foam with IAB cert for this application??? ha, some chance.

OP, why do you need to rectify this? if there is a problem with condensation or dampness then you already know what to do: take of the slates and get it done right. :)
    Youre right Bryan I couldnt .
    What does IAB stand for ?
    What kind of problems can arise from sprayfoaming the slates ?

moy83 wrote: »
    Youre right Bryan I couldnt .
    What does IAB stand for ?http://www.nsai.ie/Agrement.aspx
    What kind of problems can arise from sprayfoaming the slates ?
    how about rotten timbers for a start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

Ive never had the spray foam applied on a job but i have seen in alot of roof spaces recently now surely they couldnt apply it to the rafters if its going to cause rot i mean must they not inform you of the dangers?

• Advertisement

cork2 wrote: »
    Ive never had the spray foam applied on a job but i have seen in alot of roof spaces recently
    good for you, i wonder how many of them have certification or guarantee for the work the OP is discussing.

this is what i do for living as an arch tech acting on behalf of clients -basically ensuring a builder and the products used are appropriate for the job. 'it'll be grand' or 'this is what i always do' is not good enough where were discussing a newish product that some say is 'breathable' but its certification says a 50mm gap must be left between it and the roof felt in some cases even when this felt is breathable; also.
    now surely they couldnt apply it to the rafters if its going to cause rot i mean
    are you confusing the rafters with the reason for roofing felt?
    must they not inform you of the dangers?
    'inform you' :D the last time i spoke to a spray foam installer, he told me several fibs, 1. that the product can be applied directly to felt. 2. that it doesn't shrink and is air-tight. 3. that it can be applied to knee high walls without a vapour barrier. when i went to manufacture, they told me these fibs were 'an incorrect variation from the products certification' and with the air-tightness told me that 'it affords a level' of air-itghtness(what's does that mean, its either air-tight or its not!),it was then suggested i should visit some homes where the products had been installed. i went back to the installer, told him my fears and asked could is speak to some of his clients - i haven't heard from him since..
    ill say it again certification and guarantee - the word of even a good builder should really be checked - always read the fine print.. this is not a reflection on the trades in this country but rather the method in which we regulate our building products and services

Advertisement