Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse on land, that is not mine

• 04-02-2012 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a situation here, My brother has some land that he intends to build a house on, some travelers late at night brought a horse into the field and tied a rope around the gate (how cheeky is that) to roam freely, as the neighbor told me.

As far as i know i can not just leave the horse out as if it causes an accident on the road i will be held responsible. I called the guards and they were no help.

I was told because the horse is on private property nobody will take responsible for it, not even the council because its not a danger to anyone. But its my brothers land, what can i do.

I would have no problem leaving the horse there if the land was going to be idle, but building will be commencing soon.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Take the horse out down the road and put him into another empty field...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Do you know any French people ;)

More seriously even with the horse in the field get a machine in there and pile up some rubble by the gate so a carvan can't be the next item to turn up in the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

What part of the country are you in OP? Depending on where you are Control of horses bye-laws may or may not apply. The veterinary department of your local authority may be able to help you, failing that contact the ICPCA and tell them a horse has been abandoned on your brothers building site.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1996/en/act/pub/0037/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Starfox

What part of the country are you in OP? Depending on where you are Control of horses bye-laws may or may not apply. The veterinary department of your local authority may be able to help you, failing that contact the ICPCA and tell them a horse has been abandoned on your brothers building site.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1996/en/act/pub/0037/index.html

its tipperary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Contact number for North Tipp

http://www.tipperarynorth.ie/environment/env_dog_hor.html

The same applies for South Tipp, no contact number is given though so I would ring the number in the above link if your in South Tipp and they can point you in the right direction, it will have to wait till Monday is the only thing.

http://www.southtippcoco.ie/newenvironmenthome/en/dogsandhorses/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

walk the horse to the site the travellers are based and tie it up just outside late at night just like they did,no point leaving a note tied to the horse as they probably cant read anyway.Keep repeating the procedure ntil they feck off with it somewhere else.This has worked in the past.You could always tie it to the local garda station,I bet they'll take notice then,lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Starfox

Contact number for North Tipp

http://www.tipperarynorth.ie/environment/env_dog_hor.html

The same applies for South Tipp, no contact number is given though so I would ring the number in the above link if your in South Tipp and they can point you in the right direction, it will have to wait till Monday is the only thing.

http://www.southtippcoco.ie/newenvironmenthome/en/dogsandhorses/

Thanks for that advise i will call them monday, but i am almost certain that they wont be able to do anything, because its private property the horse is on and even if my brother said to the council 'you have my permission to go on the land' they wont,. but i guess ill find out monday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Why do these bloody people have horses. No other country in the world would allow this.

See those horse fairs, they should be stopped immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I'd also recommend calling your local SPCA, probably the only way you can be sure the horse is looked after once it's picked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Call some of the local rescues, if they can't take the horse then maybe they can advise you on what to do log on to irishanimals or petsireland to get a list of rescues in your area. There's Tipperary friends of animals, Mo Chara and Cottage Rescue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Nollipop

If you know where to find the owners of the horse, try talking to them.

If you explain about the building work and how you don't want the horse to be injured or get in the way of the builders, they should move it. If they don't want to or can't take the horse somewhere else, then its time to call some rescues, the ISPCA or the guards again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The horse may now "belong" to the OP's brother as the people that put it in the field may have no intention of coming back for it. I know a guy who woke up to find 4 horses dumped in his field.

At the horse fair people were having to lock their horseboxes as people were coming back to the carpark to find a horse in their trailer :eek: I know of one guy who only discovered this when he got home.

In reality, unless it is a controlled area, there may be nothing that anyone can do. All the rescues are probably over full as it is.

EDIT: Ok so here is the law which covers such an eventuality.

Section 20 of the Summary Jurisdiction (Ireland) Act 1851 provides that:-

“The decision and regulation of certain matters relating to the trespass of animals shall be subject to the following provisions:

2. But when the owner of any such animal shall not be known, it shall be lawful for the occupier of such land or for his own servants, or for any other person on his behalf, to impound such animal in the nearest pound of the county (or in the nearest pound of the manor), specifying in the notice which he is required to give to such pound keeper (under the provisions herein-before contained relating to the impounding of animals) the nature of the land or crop in which such animals shall have been found trespassing; and such pound keeper shall afterwards deliver up such animal to the owner, if known, or to any person on his behalf, either upon being so authorised in writing by any justice, or upon being paid by such owner or person the amount legally due for the pound fees and rates of sustenance, and also the amount due under the above scales of rates of trespass on any land or crop in the nature specified in such notice; and such pound keeper shall thereupon pay over the amount of such rate of trespass to the person by whom such animal shall have been impounded, unless when required by any justice, or by such occupier by notice in writing, to hold over the same until any dispute as to the same shall have been decided at petty session.”

So in law you can deliver the horse to the nearest Pound.

Advertisement