Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raging - What's the most cash you lost?

• 04-02-2012 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭

So I was out last night, and i lost €100 out my pocket - only raging.:mad:
    Stupidly didn't put in in my wallet, and think i pulled it out looking for change....

What's the most cash any of you guys have lost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

Maybe someone really needy found your €100 and were able to buy their kids a nice meal.

(I'd rather lose €100 in this manner than be force to hand it over to unsecured bondholders by the 'government' via some contrived tax)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Probably about the same...might not have lost it though, woke up with an empty wallet and a savage hangover. Are you sure you weren't pick-pocketed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

as sure as i can be, yeah

fúcking steaming over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

A 10,000 euro bankers draft, but thankfully someone handed it in and I got it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

over 9000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Could be worse, could have paid the household charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

About €250, which was my entire weeks wages at the time.

Luckily, I left it in an honest taxi drivers cab, who found some ID in my purse and dropped it back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

marketty wrote: »
    Could be worse, could have paid the household charge

He's probably just paid someone elses though so everythings grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Gronkosaurus

It's not losing money, but we splashed out on an oil painting by a local artist for our landing; a beautiful picture of Arranmore which cost us almost two thousand (weve never spent that much on art before, it was a complete one time only purchase)! Other half was carrying it in from the car in such an awkward position that she tripped and dropped it, fell over it and put her knee straight through the canvas. Have had it restored since but its very obvious that there was a tare in it so its now hidden away in the spare bedroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

she tripped and dropped it, fell over it and put her knee straight through the canvas.

If you want something done right.........:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Gronkosaurus

dmc17 wrote: »
    If you want something done right.........:rolleyes:

The painting we ended up hanging where we had intended the oil paint for is actually a print that cost less than E100 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Does it count as lost if you know where it went?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Does it count as lost if you know where it went?

Only if you cant find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Grilled Cheesus

alproctor wrote: »
    Stupidly didn't put in in my wallet, and think i pulled it out looking for change....

I've woken up many a time after a night out and thought I'd lost €100 or more...
    It's always unfortunate that I can never remember the night before to track it down :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Not really the same thing...

but I lost €200 on a horse once, had never before of since bet that kind of money.

Kept the losing betting slip in my wallet for 6 months, whenever anyone gave me a tip for a sure thing, all I had to do was look at that slip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

about three fiddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

about three fiddy

took longer than i thought
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

200 euro or around about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

I got pickpocketed in Amsterdam just after taking a 100 out of the ATM:mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Actual physical cash was 200 quid I left in a jacket on a CIE bus. It never surfaced at the lost and found. I was more upset about the jacket as it was worth nearly more. It was an old style Soviet Army design complete with the Red Star and all, made me feel like a commi..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Who had post number 2 in the ' When will the bailout be dragged into this sweepstake'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Who had post number 2 in the ' When will the bailout be dragged into this sweepstake'?

Me and I'm not giving the money to any ****er, it's my money and I'm keeping it for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

found a jacket with 200 euro in it a while ago near a supermarket, told the customer service I brought it home(said I found it when the shop was closed) and gave them my number for if anyone came in asking for it, no one claimed it so fair game I think on my part, there was no identification or anything so not much else I could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

It's not losing money, but we splashed out on an oil painting by a local artist for our landing; a beautiful picture of Arranmore which cost us almost two thousand (weve never spent that much on art before, it was a complete one time only purchase)! Other half was carrying it in from the car in such an awkward position that she tripped and dropped it, fell over it and put her knee straight through the canvas. Have had it restored since but its very obvious that there was a tare in it so its now hidden away in the spare bedroom.

I hope you divorced her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Dublin Chick

Other half was carrying it in from the car in such an awkward position that she tripped and dropped it, fell over it and put her knee straight through the canvas.

And they say chivalry is dead.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭windy bee

Maybe the guy was carrying something heavier like a baby in a car seat! Much more valuable :D

windy bee wrote: »
    Maybe the guy was carrying something heavier like a baby in a car seat! Much more valuable :D

And maybe he wasn't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

alproctor wrote: »

bad luck anyhow

i've heard it said that wallets are a bad idea as you tend to lose more if everything is stored together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

And maybe he wasn't...

He should have been carrying a video camera, it would have looked great on Youtube.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Cash? Dunno really!

Am in negative equity to the tune of €160k though! :(

image003.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Lost about €400 once.

I lost it in a 50-100 yard straight line in an enclosed area, with no more than 20 passer-bys, and had noticed no more than 5 minutes after it was lost.

Still no idea how that's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

ooohhhhhh ......... i would have to say around 400,000 euro

the day i signed for my house , bought it for little over 1/4 mill , plus interest it will stand me half a mill , now worth under 100,000

so that would make 400,000 euro loss - not bad for one day :D

also walked away from a atm , leaving 200 euro , when i went back it was gone , cursed my stupidity and forgot about it

7 years later got a letter off the AIB bank telling me they had it all along and were only FORCED to return it by the regulator after a audit

the machine issued the cash but becasue i did not take it , it took it back but still debited my account and then said nothing , dirty feckers them banks

mind you i got it back with interest - one up for the little guy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Lost €40 one day, not sure if I left it at the ATM or it fell out of my pocket :rolleyes:

As for losing money from betting, I'd rather not say :o The horse in question was only beaten the width of a gee hair, oh the sickening feeling before, during and def after the race :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

dj jarvis wrote: »
    the machine issued the cash but becasue i did not take it , it took it back but still debited my account and then said nothing , dirty feckers them banks

Many moons ago, before they debited you for failing to take the cash, it was possible to withdraw £300 which would push out 3 notes. The clever thief could then grip the middle note and wait for the machine to pull the other two back. Of course the silly machine assumed you had not collected any cash didn't debit you when in fact you had made off with £100.

I'm not sure if their machines were specifically designed to prevent the above fraud but it's an interesting piece of trivia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

I dropped my wallet getting onto a bus on the quays. I reckon that in trying to slip it back into my into my inside pocket, I missed the pocket and the wallet must have just fallen through my coat onto the ground.

I realized just after sitting down that my wallet was gone and I performed a panicked search of the seating area before asking the bus driver to pull over so that I could run back to the stop just down the road. Nobody standing there seemed much interested in my plight or saw my wallet, so either one of them had it, or a person behind me getting on the bus must have scooped it up
    I'd just taken out 400 euro to pay my rent.... livid! Not to mention that my bank and credit cards etc were all in there too.
    I pretty much hated all humanity for about a whole month after that.

About a month later and for the second time in my entire life, I did exactly the same thing getting out of a taxi (thankfully there was only about twenty quid in it that time.) I only realised the next morning, and just before I was about to go through the laborious nightmare of replacing all my cards I got a call from sombody that had found it in the street and tracked me down via a work number in my wallet.
    My faith in humanity was restored, I gave the guy a couple of bottles of nice wine as a thank you when we met up to hand me back my wallet and never again did somthing so dumb as fail to perform the 'pat test' to check that wallet was actually in my pocket .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Never really carry much cash... which is a good thing given the amount of times I lose my wallet.

My most annoying thing to happen to me money related was - I was duped out of £250 trying to get Arsenal tix for the OH's bday present by a dodgy ad on Craigslist, purely my own fault for not being cautious in my desperate search for tickets :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

That's funny. I found 100 euro on the same night.

Advertisement