Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRCSET with a 3rd Yr 2.2 (Maths)

Options
  • 04-02-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi, I was wondering if there is any point at all in my applying for IRCSET funding to do a research master's in mathematics when my record is as follows:

Leaving Cert - 590 (If that even matters at all)

Under Grad Results (Course of Study is Mathematics)
    1st Year - 84%
    2nd Year - Fail (Passed repeat exams, permitted to continue)
    3rd Year - 52%
    4th Year - I think I'll get a first.

Illness throughout 2nd year and for the first half of 3rd year is what brought my grades down. I could prove that with a medical cert if they wanted me to. I'm grand now and expect to get a first this year, but it seems the relevant IRCSET results are published at the end April and I won't even have done my exams by then. Though I know that sometimes they award scholarships on condition that you get a certain grade or higher (how often does this happen though?).

What might work in my favour is having worked with 3 lecturers on 3 different projects, whereas most people have only one project with one lecturer.

My question is, given my record, is there any hope?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭littlecat

Hi there,

You should definitely apply. In my experience you do need a 1.1 for IRCSET, and they do send out the first round before you get your results; however, part of your application is (or was back in the day!) a personal statement, and you need a letter from a lecturer.

In the statement you can explain your circumstances - not in a "poor me" way, but in a manner that shows your dedication, how ill health hasn't halted your enthusiasm and willingness to work hard etc. Such factors should be taken into account, and if the lecturer's letter can confirm your ability and the high chance that you'll get a 1.1 then i don't see why you wouldn't have as good a shot at it as anyone else.

Definitely go for it and good luck!

Advertisement