Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad idea???

Options
  • 04-02-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

So I'm thinking of using my car as a greenhouse. Any obvious reasons not to? :)
    It's just for this time of the year (maybe a month or two until they get too big). I'm sowing tender stuff like toms and peppers this weekend. But I have trouble with light as the house is east-west. Can't get up to the allotment to be shifting stuff in and out of the tunnel and covering with fleece. Anyway it would be too cold until April. At least with the car I can orientate the back window south facing all day and have it with me while I'm at work and at home, and easily bring stuff in when it gets too cold in the evenings.
    Stupid idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

We used an old moblie home as a makeshift nursery a few years ago, worked grand.

The only issue I would think would be possible burning the seedlngs if in direct light for too long and also ensuring good ventilation but sure you know that yourself.

Just be a bit messy and smelly in the car this all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

ya, next time youg o to bed at night hop out into the car at 3-4am, if its freezing cold, as it has been the last few days would destroy anything in the car from frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Might be easier to get a small cloche or two. Even a window propagator would work. Put them on a trolley thing and haul indoors when frost threatens.
    Trolley could be a board with casters on the corners, doesn't have to be fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks for the replies, sure I'll give it a bash.
    Tommy, the problem is the house is east-west so early in the year that gives me hardly any decent light and the seedlings get leggy and lean over to follow the sun too much. Even the front and back gardens are shaded most of the day this time of year by houses. The plot is too far away to be popping up twice a day. But thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

the problem is the house is east-west so early in the year that gives me hardly any decent light
    Yeah ,I keep forgetting how lucky I am living out in the middle of nowhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement