Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Dual sim phone

Options
  • 04-02-2012 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a pretty basic dual sim phone - any recomendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

theres a samsung one available in cpw at the moment for less than 50 quid.
    its the gt-e2222 also known as the ch@t 222 i think
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_ch@t_222-3993.php

i got one. its basic but seems to do the dual sim thing well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Thanks - I have a 02 golden sim but they won't allow me to transfer over my number.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

The Samsung chat phone is €29.99 including a €10 top up in the Carphone Warehouse in Mahon Point

Kilsmum

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

My O/H uses a Samsung C6112, it's around €100 on ebay but has both SIMs live and can switch primary card with a dedicated button on the side. Works really well, and perfect for use with a golden SIM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

kilsmum wrote: »
    The Samsung chat phone is €29.99 including a €10 top up in the Carphone Warehouse in Mahon Point

Kilsmum

Which samsung chat phone, theres more than one of them. Only the ch@t 222 is dual sim though.

• Advertisement

Random wrote: »

I actually was looking at that in the shop, was thinking thats a decent keypad for a cheap (its sim free obviously) phone. Does it charge off Micro USB or just the proprietary samsung charger that I can see in this video

http://welectronics.com/gsm/Samsung/SAMSUNG-Gt-E2222-Chat222.HTML

Cork wrote: »
    Thanks - I have a 02 golden sim but they won't allow me to transfer over my number.

Same here. I was thinking of switching my existing sim/number from bill to prepay and sticking in an old phone (something like the samsung cobble) and just check it every now and then for missed calls. Then switch my main phone to the golden sim. Eventually, most people would have your new number and you could throw the old sim away. This chat duo looks far better than the cobble though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I thought that none of the networks would sell a proper dual sim because it would cost them a fortune in lost call charges. I know someone who got a Chinese dual sim & set it up so that it used the cheapest PAYG network depending on the time.

Most of them require you to manually change sims. The good ones run two sims simultaneously without switching but I don't know if they would work on our networks. You can also get dual sim adaptors for some mobile phones.

I think a lot of the more recent dual sim phones, keep both sims active.

One I was looking at before was the X1-01. Or the Nokia 101 or the C2-00.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Fonez sell the X1-01 cheap. I bought one for dear wife so she could use 48months to yabber away when the mood takes her. :)

http://www.fonez.ie/nokia/218-nokia-x1-01-dual-sim.html

If you want a filthy cheap dual sim then try one of these ( no real warranty but usually works ok)

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/l601-3-5-android-2-2-dual-sim-dual-network-standby-quadband-gsm-tv-cell-phone-w-gps-wi-fi-72031

• Advertisement

Those both seem expensive.

BostonB wrote: »
    I think a lot of the more recent dual sim phones, keep both sims active.

One I was looking at before was the X1-01. Or the Nokia 101 or the C2-00.

I thought that was a network problem in having one IMEI linked to two networks simultaneously. I would want a dual sim to be able to receive a call on either sim without me switching over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Random wrote: »

How does the sim switching work? Are both live at the same time?

you can read up about it on GSM Arena but they don't have a review of the samsung.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_x1_01-review-629.php
    http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_c2_00-review-627.php

Sorry Boston B - The Samsung Ch@t 222

Kilsmum

Seems odd that its cheaper than the other shops in the chain and their own website. Perhaps its a pricing mistake. Good deal so.

Just had a look at my receipt. The phone was coming up as €19.99 and the top up €10 - I had a look at the Carphone Warehouse website and your right! Its priced at €49.99 and that doesn't include any top up!

Kilsmum

Top up with who? Its a sim free phone not on any network. So you couldn't get a top up. If you get a top up, it suggests it might be locked to a network. or maybe the shop is a bit confused about what its is. Might not be aware its a dual sim.

Boston B - I was told in the shop the phone had to be bought with a top up. They were aware it was dual sim and Meteor was written on the end of the box even though I got 02 credit.

Kilsmum

• Advertisement

Very confusing. Once it works happy days, you got a great deal!

Cheers! :)

Does that Samsung feature simultaneous dual sim. In other words can it accept incoming calls on either sim without you manually switching it ?.

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    How does the sim switching work? Are both live at the same time?

both sims are live at the same time
    when you want to dial out you can press button to select which sim you call with
    Discodog wrote: »
    Does that Samsung feature simultaneous dual sim. In other words can it accept incoming calls on either sim without you manually switching it ?.

yes

I wonder of something has changed. I am sure that I read somewhere, maybe here, that you can't connect one IMEI to two networks. Does the phone have dual IMEI's ?

Discodog wrote: »
    I wonder of something has changed. I am sure that I read somewhere, maybe here, that you can't connect one IMEI to two networks. Does the phone have dual IMEI's ?
    it has 2x imei

Deadly, lot cheaper than the Nokia X1-01 which also has two IMEI Numbers or the C2-00

In Nokia speak a Dual Sim has 2 IMEI and a Two Sim has one IMEI number which could cause bother if both sims were connecting to one network, eg the Nokia C1-00 is a Two sim and one IMEI phone.

One online criticism of the Samsung is that you have to select the sim when you reply to a text. In other words it doesn't remember what sim the text came in on. Does anyone know if this is the case ?

Does it store texts in separate folders for each sim or combine them in one list ?

from my limited usage of the phone so far then when you click reply to will reply with the number it came to.

the msgs all show in one list but it has the sim number next to it so you know which number it came to. there may be an option to use separate folders but ive not looked.

• Advertisement

Is there a 3g equivalent dual sim ?

Advertisement