Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Dual sim phone

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

Has the Samsung chat 222 wi-fi?

I have a pc & I don't need to get facebook on mobiles - can you just just use the phone to make and get calls?

What is the battery life on the phone like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

No Wifi
    kilsmum wrote: »
    Just had a look at my receipt. The phone was coming up as €19.99 and the top up €10 - I had a look at the Carphone Warehouse website and your right! Its priced at €49.99 and that doesn't include any top up!

Kilsmum

I picked one up myself, to use as a backup, to catch any calls on retired sims, and use up credit on old sims. Charged the same as yourself. 19 + 10 credit. For a €20 phone its well featured compared to the Samsung Cobble which has almost no features. That said the Cobble is so basic and small you can't but love it.

3.5mm jack, SQ is ok, not brilliant but not woeful either. Good reception on radio, charger and charges MicroUSB. MicroSD slot, plays MP3 and shows album art. Bluetooth, and VGA camera, the later is not good, but useful for remembering something etc. Sim Free and Dual Sim. Like the way the keys work, all logical and easy to use. Only thing I dislike about it, is the screen itself, (at least my one) is quite poor, not sharp and poor viewing angles. If you don't use it much, just for the occasional call and text you won't mind. But if you look at your phone a lot, like a heavy texter, the screen might annoy you. The screen is dire on the cobble too. I think most cheaper phones are the same though. I just picky about screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I saw the phone the other night. It would be great for 2 sims.

I only use phones to make and recieve calls - Is it a bit bulky?

What is the battery life like?

Battery life I dunno. It had 2 bars when I bought it, on Thurs and its still working now. I haven't charged it yet. Haven't used it really though, other than to test it. I wouldn't say its bulky at all, not like touch screen phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Ok - heads up re this phone.

It doesn't recognize a 3 Ireland sim. Even with an 02 and 3 sim I get a message on the phone to insert a sim. The phone doesn't work at all with one incompatible sim and one compatible sim.

When I put in two 02 sims no problem at all.

Tried putting in the 3 sim on its own and get the message to insert a sim.

This is despite the fact that the manager of the Carphone Warehouse swore to me that the phone was unlocked and accepted all sims (a lesson learned).

Just a warning in case you buy this phone and think it will accept any sim from other european countries.

Just as well it didn't break the bank!!!

Kilsmum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

It doesn't recognize a 3 Ireland sim. Even with an 02 and 3 sim I get a message on the phone to insert a sim. The phone doesn't work at all with one incompatible sim and one compatible sim.

This is despite the fact that the manager of the Carphone Warehouse swore to me that the phone was unlocked and accepted all sims (a lesson learned).

Just a warning in case you buy this phone and think it will accept any sim from other european countries.

Kilsmum

Three are slightly different than all other networks. Its the same with older non 3G compatible handsets, the three sim wont work in most (odd exception). Any other sim will work though.

You could return it, as it isn't as described by the retailer so not fit for purpose.

Its a 2G phone. 3 is a 3G only AFAIK. Any 3 sim I every had never worked in any of my old 2G phones.

Thanks Davy and Boston B for the replies.

I wouldn't bother bringing it back it didn't exactly break the bank.

Just out of interest when I went into the network selection in the settings and manually select the networks you only get the option for 02 Ireland, Meteor and Vodafone Ireland.

I just assumed the lad in CPW knew what he was talking about. I wonder then would you be able to use it with sims from other countries?

Its interesting that in 2011 Samsung bring out 2G phones and my trusty old unlocked Nokia 6630 launched in 2004 can handle my 3 sim. When I looked into it more a lot of the dual sim phones are only 2G. Must be a cost factor.

The phone itself is nice and light switching between the sims to send texts is easy enough. I would definitely consider buying a more expensive higher end android dual sim phone.

Kilsmum

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would definitely consider buying a more expensive higher end android dual sim phone.

Kilsmum

So would I but I don't think that there are any.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Discodog wrote: »
    So would I but I don't think that there are any.
    There are. Mainly in Asia and from noname manufacturers for round €200

• Advertisement

...Just out of interest when I went into the network selection in the settings and manually select the networks you only get the option for 02 Ireland, Meteor and Vodafone Ireland.

I assume it can't pick up a 3G only network.
    I just assumed the lad in CPW knew what he was talking about.

In my experience most people working in mobile phone stops know very little about what they sell. Its just a shop.
    I wonder then would you be able to use it with sims from other countries?

Its interesting that in 2011 Samsung bring out 2G phones and my trusty old unlocked Nokia 6630 launched in 2004 can handle my 3 sim. When I looked into it more a lot of the dual sim phones are only 2G. Must be a cost factor.

Most network have a fall back to 2G. 3G uses more battery life on the phone, but I dunno why they'd leave 3G off a phone. But considering most budget phones, especially in poor countries are 2G only I doubt a 2G phone is that much of a limitation. Also in poorer countries people might share mobiles and swap sims. Which is why these dual phones often have multiple phone books etc.

Its a sim free phone for €19, and its much better than most other budget phones.

Boston B,

The phone doesn't appear to be able to pick up a 3G network.

I agree with you about the price and its a handy little phone. Samsung recently launched a few more dual sim versions but all to the Indian market so what your saying makes sense.

http://www.crazyengineers.com/samsung-launches-5-dual-sim-phones-in-india-includes-3-galaxy-duos-1815/

Pity they don't launch some of them here - the Samsung Galaxy Ace duos would be something I'd consider.

Kilsmum

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I got this:

http://www.belsimpel.nl/Alcatel/Alcatel-OT-918-Dual-Sim-Black

Does all I need, Podcasts, music, voip, Whats App.

Capacitive screen and charges off Micro USB.

Perfect for me and its a decent recognised brand.

1 Sim is 3g and the other is 2.5g.

Selecting sims for messaging, calls and data is easy too.

All in all good value.

Keith, did you buy it from the site you put up the link for?

Kilsmum

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Keith, did you buy it from the site you put up the link for?

Kilsmum

Yes, but I live in the Netherlands, really good service though, came 2 days after ordering.

Reason I got it is becuase I work over the German border and its handy having a Dutch and German (work sim) in one phone and not having to pay a fortune for the wife to ring.

Also works as a Wifi hotspot so I have Internet on the laptop pretty easily too.

But you can also get the same phone on Amazon etc.

Thanks for the info Keith. My interest would be in particular for the 3 Ireland sim.

I'm on Vodafone as is my husband and a good number of friends etc. My four children having being with various networks all moved to 3 because the deal here is great for the teenagers. My plan only gives me 300 texts a month. It would be great for me to have a dual sim phone so I could always have the option for the 3 to 3 calls where they could ring me without using up their credit.

I'll have a look at the Amazon site.

Thanks for the heads up.

Kilsmum:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There are. Mainly in Asia and from noname manufacturers for round €200

I have seen those but it's a bit risky with no guide to quality etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Kilsmum

sim1 - three
    sim2 - o2
    it shows an invalid sim and does not detect o2 sim

sim1 - o2
    sim2 - three
    it detects the o2 sim fine and just acts as though there is no second sim

my phone is definitely unlocked though. ive used meteor/o2/vodafone combos without issue.
    as others have said i think its just the 3 issue with their sims not working in some 2g only phones.

Random wrote: »
    s...
    as others have said i think its just the 3 issue with their sims not working in some 2g only phones.

Have you ever had a 3 sim work in any 2g only phone?

BostonB wrote: »
    Have you ever had a 3 sim work in any 2g only phone?
    yes, ive used it in a 6230 to name one

• Advertisement

Curious mine didn't work in any 2G phone I had SE W810i, Nokia 3410.

i havent tried it recently.

Advertisement