Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many times can I split the phone line?

Options
  • 04-02-2012 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My parents house has 1 phoneline coming in and the socket is located at the front door. Many years ago I split this line, one for the home phone and I ran the other one upstairs to my old dial up internet PC.

Since I moved out, and the line for the PC upstairs wasnt used anymore, they ran it back down to the kitchen for an extra phone there. So now there are 2 phones coming off the main socket, using a splitter.

Herein lies the question:

They have sky in the living room which was never connected to a phone line.

They also have sky in the kitchen which is also not connected to the phoneline.

They pay 2 seperate subscriptions. I have suggested they get mutiroom as it would be cheaper.

However, both boxes would then need to be connected to a phoneline, so essentially, as well as the 2 phones, they will need 2 more phone connections for the sky boxes.

Can the existing kitchen phoneline be split again into 2 or 3. (it's one branch of a split line already), one to feed the kitchen sky box, one for the kitchen phone and one fed into the living room sky box?

That would then mean that one of the 'split' branches from the main house socket would again be split into 3.

Can this be done or is it an engineer job to put new phone sockets in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

You can "split" the line as much as you want really. What matters more is how many phones / modems / etc. are connected, and it doesn't sound like you have too many to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

What would be the best way to do it at the end of the extension in the Kitchen as that has the easiest route to the living room.

It's a male connection into the existing phone there.

Could I put a coupler on the end and then put a 3 way splitter into that?

Or would I be better putting a socket on the end of the extension and putting the splitter into that instead. I would imagine it would be the same thing.

Essentially then I would have the main socket branched into 2 at the front door and then the end of one of those branches split into 3 in the kitchen to feed 1 phone and 2 sky boxes.

Any help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

As you have guessed it's pretty much the same whichever way you do it. Fitting a socket might look neater, but it really doesn't make any difference from an electrical point of view.

Advertisement