Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon TV Watch [SPOILER ALERT]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I thought i had read somewhere that Conor Murphy was in for this one but i dont see him on the start list (which seems small). Might it be they havent just updated it and listed all those starting yet?

Edit: I see he is not going for it now after recent crash - http://www.trimurphy.com/Latest_News.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bombidal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Mens:
    1st - J Brownlee
    2nd - Gomez
    3rd - Silva
    4th - Murray

Womens:
    1st - Jorgenson
    2nd - Moffat
    3rd - I do think Aileen has a shot here too so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Brownlee
    Murray
    Gomez

Keane 9th

Jorgensen
    Moffat
    Caelers

Aileen 6th

Paid to watch these races live :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Anyone else not getting the live feed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well thats Caelars race over, inexperience showing and a silly mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Anyone else not getting the live feed?

I am on to bbc red button from the off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

It's was free on saorview 301. Aileen did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

So...

Any Madrid predictions?

Anyone else think Aileen's races thus far have been interesting from a strategy point of view?
    Hard on lap 1 of swim, hard on bike and see what's left then?
    At a guess, this seems to be a focussed improvement plan with a goal of getting her up to 1/2 podiums again this season?
    Maybe start getting in the mind frame of leading races, involved from the start and showing her swim capabilities?

If so, you'd imagine Madrid would be high on the agenda after last year's result.

Slight problem in that it's quite stacked this year though with quite a few in top form.

I reckon she could be really putting it on the line here today, and aiming for a podium.
    Don't think Moffat is racing.

Women's Top 5:
    1 - Haug
    2 - Jorgenson
    3 - Reid
    4 - Abram
    5 - Stanford

Men's:

Hard to look past the usual's, but will Gomez have the legs recovered enough after Barcelona?

1 - J Brownlee
    2 - Gomez
    3 - Murray
    4 - Mola
    5 - Justus/Vasiliev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

That advertisement banner is annoying me!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

F*cking red button doesn't have this on till 5 past three.

Must stay away from twitter until then...

Nice gap formed for the breakaway but the chase group should catch them no problem.

Reid and Hewitt have their work cut out. Haug and Findlay way back! Non wetsuit really makes things interesting.

Aileen should be fresh for the run anyway!

God, Aileen's bloody transition again. Not slick enough. She looks like she's struggling too early on the run. Stanford looks great though!

God, Aileen's bloody transition again. Not slick enough. She looks like she's struggling too early on the run. Stanford looks great though!

That was a brutal T2

That was a brutal T2

Yeah, it's happened all too often now with Aileen

Reminds me, must practice my own transitions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

From a mail I got from Active Europe:

The IRONMAN series returns to Channel 4 & 4HD this weekend, with the first show on Saturday 22nd at 7:30am and the second show on Sunday 23rd at 7:30am, which will cover 70.3 UK and Jenson Button racing 70.3 Berlin

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Am I correct in saying mens race in Kitzbuhel tommorow starts at 13:06??? That`s an odd time, will this be the same as Irish time?

• Advertisement

Is it on red button? Last year I got ITU live and they were all on red button, now they're not :(

According to the Beep website, Kitzbuehel: 12:00 & 15:20 BBC Red Button on Saturday.

God so much sport in one day!

I was watching the BBC's highlight show of the recent Hamburg ITU event. The BBC commentators never cease to amaze me with their arrogant and condescending manner. They really could not see another winner in the relay event and were so very disrespectful and dismissive of other countries. It never seemed to enter their little heads that a mechanical, a crash or anything else that might go wrong. It's sport. It happens. Regularly.

BTW the replay was great to watch. The running dives were a particular highlight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I was watching the BBC's highlight show of the recent Hamburg ITU event. The BBC commentators never cease to amaze me with their arrogant and condescending manner. They really could not see another winner in the relay event and were so very disrespectful and dismissive of other countries. It never seemed to enter their little heads that a mechanical, a crash or anything else that might go wrong. It's sport. It happens. Regularly.

BTW the replay was great to watch. The running dives were a particular highlight :)

Ah c'mon - you're watching a British TV channel with the Brits dominating the sport and you expect them to be neutral? if only that welsh one hadn't fallen off the bike! ;)

Ah c'mon - you're watching a British TV channel with the Brits dominating the sport and you expect them to be neutral? if only that welsh one hadn't fallen off the bike! ;)

Haha....silly Welsh ejit!

Well TBH I don't think it's too much to ask for a little humility and just to even contimplate for one second that team GB is not invincible. I have had a problem with the Beep's athletic presenters for quite a while now and this just enraged me! It was nice to hear them flailing around and be left scratching their heads when Ger came into T2 first. They actually were sure that the Germans had got it wrong and that Non just just be so far ahead that they were concentrating on the battle for 2nd. Crashing/mechanical never entered their heads. It took them an age to realise what happened.

Upon reflection perhaps I should have posted this in the 'gripes' thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Well TBH I don't think it's too much to ask for a little humility and just to even contimplate for one second that team GB is not invincible. I have had a problem with the Beep's athletic presenters for quite a while now and this just enraged me!

One of my pet hates El D - have a listen to some of the RTE guys and be objective, we are no better. Any Des Cahill presentation and Jimmy McGee and boxing is cringeworthy.

One of the best TV moments I saw all year was Peter Collins trying to put a positive spin on Fionnulas Brittons after a disappointing world championships. Fair play to Catherina McKeirnan no matter how much he tried to put words into her mouth she wasn't biting and was pretty critical over her performance, poor Peter wasnt prepared for that at all

Sweeny in the Indo wrote a good article about it the following week
    Athletes lead field in straight talking

Peter Collins was struggling Sunday lunchtime. He wanted a nice feel-good wrap-up dwelling on the positive aspects of Ireland and Fionnuala Britton's performance in the World Cross-Country Championships but, tee her up though he might, Catherina McKiernan was giving him nothing.

He pointed out that Ireland had finished fifth and were the first European team home and that Britton's 14th place equalled her previous best performance in the championships. But McKiernan was having none of it. The possibility of medals for both Britton and the team had been mooted in the build-up and she wasn't going to be pretend that the race hadn't fallen short of expectations.

She wanted to speculate why this had been the case and so, while Peter tried to make her look on the bright side, the greatest Irish cross-country runner of them all suggested Britton's build-up had been poor because she had run the wrong kind of races. Maybe she was right, maybe not but she was determined to get her points across and they were far more interesting than some patronising insistence that both team and individual deserved nothing but pats on the back.

I like Peter Collins. But he was no match for McKiernan. She was implacable and you haven't heard implacable till you've heard it in a Cavan accent. For that matter the other pundit, former Olympian Thomas Chamney, was less interested in soothing the nation's tortured soul than attempting a forensic analysis of why things hadn't quite worked out.
    Athletes are the least sentimental of people. They work harder than almost any other sportspeople, must depend on themselves rather than a team and can't cod themselves about how good they are. The clock doesn't lie.

That's why there's a certain clear-eyed and flinty [COLOR=#009900 !important]quality[/COLOR] about them as analysts. Jerry Kiernan has it in spades but so too do Chamney, Ailis McSweeney and David Matthews. It makes them the most knowledgeable and interesting of pundits. A performance like that of McKiernan and Chamney this day last week is a breath of fresh air.

Other sports take note.

Yeah I vividly remember that CW. It was fun and frustrating to watch at the same time!

Stockholm ITU kicking off in next few mins. BBC are there so maybe on the been red b. Bryan Keane on start list for the men later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Stockholm ITU kicking off in next few mins. BBC are there so maybe on the been red b. Bryan Keane on start list for the men later

Women's race was on today, men's race will be on tomorrow (Men's race and women's highlights: Sunday 25 August; BBC Two 14:50-18:00 BST)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Mmmmm I see The championship on my guide for BBC today - is it on the red button (bloody UPC)

A pity as my favourite triathlete Vanessa Raw should be getting a good bit of coverage as well for a change ;)

Advertisement