Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon TV Watch [SPOILER ALERT]

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

BTH wrote: »
    Poor Bjorn. He travelled to Austria 70.3 for the swim to be cancelled, and now this!!

Thornton tearing it up.

Is it on tv anywhere? Or even highlights later?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Pity about the swim. It looks like the best morning of the week as well.

Must be pretty cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

Is it on tv anywhere? Or even highlights later?

Its on the official website - just the finishers though at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

Suppose to be on BBC at 13.00

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

Swim was shortened due to air temperatures....what exactly they were expecting for London at 7am in September I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Saw something on twitter this morning about water temps being 15.9 but air temp was 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Swim was shortened due to air temperatures....what exactly they were expecting for London at 7am in September I don't know.

Have to say its a farce. Immediately penalises the stronger swimmer. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Have to say its a farce. Immediately penalises the stronger swimmer. Crazy.

Race entry was €200+. I'd be fair pissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

The ITU water/air temperature rules are far too narrow, and overly restrictive. A warm-climate runner, or biker, or swimmer, is expected to adapt to cooler conditions if they race in cooler climates; why shouldn't triathletes? The swim is already insulated with wetsuits, why not loosen the temperature rules and insist on extra layers for the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bombidal

If the top 10 guys all had different colour hats on that would help the tv coverage... Seems a no brainer surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Eilte mens swim wasn't shortened though.

Bryan Keane in 45th position, in the 3rd chase group.

Hi guys. Would be far from an expert on Triathlon but thoroughly enjoying this race although im heartbroken for Alistair who is a true winner in the Alex Ferguson/Brian Cody sense of the word.

Some finish in store with the other two great triathletes Gomez and Jonny Brownlee going head to head. Phenomenal athletes! Really dont get enough credit in the mainstream despite their dominance of what i imagine is a gruelling hard sport

• Registered Users Posts: 41 darrenoconaill

Great finish. Alastair just called the brother an "idiot" and a "total tactical numpty" for blowing the race. Gas man.

Great finish. Alastair just called the brother an "idiot" and a "total tactical numpty" for blowing the race. Gas man.

I feel a fit Alistair would have pissed that race. One thing for sure he'll be back with a vengeance next year although i hope he hasnt done any permanent damage today finishing that race. He seemed to be really struggling.

What a finish, five months of racing & the world title is decided by a second.
    Johnny made the same mistake as Alistair did in Hamburg & went too soon.

Does anybody think the BBC commentary is brutal? I turned down the volume on the TV & listened to the commentary on triathlonTV instead.
    And what were they doing with Chrissie Wellington on, her sport is completely different. They should have had somebody like Helen Jenkins or Tim Don on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

PWEI wrote: »
    What a finish, five months of racing & the world title is decided by a second.
    Johnny made the same mistake as Alistair did in Hamburg & went too soon.

Does anybody think the BBC commentary is brutal? I turned down the volume on the TV & listened to the commentary on triathlonTV instead.
    And what were they doing with Chrissie Wellington on, her sport is completely different. They should have had somebody like Helen Jenkins or Tim Don on.

Agree. Beebs coverage was a brownlee documentary. Chrissie just repeated herself over and over and herself and Shah looked like they didn't like each other. Zero chemistry. At least the ITU lads get on. ITU coverage leagues better but its set up just for tri. I doubt a national broadcaster could invest as many cameras. The last shot of Shah, Alistair and Chrissie all looking like strangers was cringeworthy.

I was actually rooting for Gomez. Great race.

Good run by Keane to push up the field. Solid weekend for the Irish. Would be great to have a couple more on the series circuit. A team for world team sprint champs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

A fitting end to the series today. I was yelling Gomez on at the end, thought Johnny had it though! Delighted for him, it can't be easy as it must feel like 2 V 1 most of the time. He is a great example of a champion and how to be humble at the same time.

Fair play to Keane though, hopefully he will get a good winter under his belt now.

As for the beeps' coverage...well I've let my feeling know about that before!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

re the coverage overall, it's been very strange. After the womens elite yesterday there appeared to be way more of a focus on Jodie Stimpson for coming second than on the fact Non Stanford won the overall. then today having chrissie wellington seemed odd, she didn't seem at ease with this format and didn't add a lot, agree with those who say there was better choices

think the funniest of all was 220 triathlon tweeting that the engligh support was louder than any other country. well surprise surprise, the home crowd outnumbers everyone else and makes more noise...there's tomorrows headline

mossym wrote: »
    re the coverage overall, it's been very strange. After the womens elite yesterday there appeared to be way more of a focus on Jodie Stimpson for coming second than on the fact Non Stanford won the overall. then today having chrissie wellington seemed odd, she didn't seem at ease with this format and didn't add a lot, agree with those who say there was better choices

Probably because Stimpson is English & Stanford is Welsh.
    Yea having Chrissie on was really strange when you consider all the British ITU athletes then could have had. She had nothing to add at all & even when asked today about the impact the wet conditions had on the races, mentioned the women's race but didn't mention it practically cost Gwen Jorgensen a world title.

Fair play to Alistair Brownlee for finishing the race when he could barely run, most would have called it a day. Unlike Haug yesterday he had nothing to keep him going for as he wasn't going to finish in the top 3 overall but finished cause he's never quit a race. He also risked making his injury more long term doing what he did. Some of the top guys just quit when they are having a bad race.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

mossym wrote: »

think the funniest of all was 220 triathlon tweeting that the engligh support was louder than any other country. well surprise surprise, the home crowd outnumbers everyone else and makes more noise...there's tomorrows headline

I was more annoyed about how we were shown coverage of non Stanford sitting on the ground after the finish line instead of switching back to the battle for second place.....

• Advertisement

Probably because Stimpson is English & Stanford is Welsh.

ah good point, and grabbing the welsh flag coming down the chute rather than the UJ probably didn't sit well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Fair play to Alistair Brownlee for finishing the race when he could barely run, most would have called it a day. Unlike Haug yesterday he had nothing to keep him going for as he wasn't going to finish in the top 3 overall but finished cause he's never quit a race. He also risked making his injury more long term doing what he did. Some of the top guys just quit when they are having a bad race.

Not everyone would read this as a good thing. The biggest issue Alistair seems to have is his lack of regard for his body. As Berrie Shepley said he worries for a long career for him as he pushes himself over the brink a lot. He has had a lot of injuries already for someone so young. I personally thought it was foolish doing that run if there is already a serious issue there (which there seems to be considering they said he hasn't actually run since Stockholm). Who knows what kind of damage he may have caused now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I was yelling Gomez on at the end, thought Johnny had it though! Delighted for him, it can't be easy as it must feel like 2 V 1 most of the time. He is a great example of a champion and how to be humble at the same time.
    Yeah he comes across like a proper gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

It was a hell of a finish. I like both Jonny and Javier but Javier would be my fav elite there is. He is always very humble, works hard, races honest and has to be commended how he deals with the pressure on him. I for one didnt think he was capable of that. I didnt get to watch it til late last night but glad i did, one of the best finishes ever!!

the one thing that finish did was make me realise how special it must have been to watch the dave scott/mark allen race in Kona Live. imagine seeing things that close over long course rather than oly. (i know allen broke away before the end, but still...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

The last km
    That now famous NUMPTY comment

I know it's not triathlon but this might be of interest to most. On Ch4 tonight at 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

escape from alcatraz was on channel 4 over the weekend its probably on more 4 now,
    wasnt great coverage, really irritating commentary but leaving that aside, interesting race to watch

Does anyone know when the IM coverage starts on any of the channels? I would have thought it would be on by now. Last year they were typically on C4 2 weeks after each event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

http://racetriathlon.com/tv/

melbourne and frankfurt on next sunday only 30 mins though

Advertisement