Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamlet Help

• 04-02-2012 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hey Everyone,

just preparing essays for a couple of topics and i am doing one on deception. i remember doing it in class and there is a certain qoute that hamlet basically says in the court of elsinore words are more important than actions or something to that effect! but i cant find the qoute anywhere i would really appreciate if some could point me in the direction of that qoute!

also how many qoutes are you aiming to put in your essay ? as i was speaking wiith a couple of exam correcctors and they gave a lot of varying numbers as recommendations ?

thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lord Ned Stark

thanks but its not there though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Izymunz

Hmm I would argue the opposite ....
    although Hamlet lacked the Great enterprise of action, as it were he always
    preached that he "knows not seems" .
    In short he says he is beyond that. Another case appears later on when Hamlet rebukes
    himself, he curses his "tragic flaw" at his inability to ACT, "I must like a whore unpack my heart with words"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Izymunz wrote: »
    Hmm I would argue the opposite ....
    although Hamlet lacked the Great enterprise of action, as it were he always
    preached that he "knows not seems" .
    In short he says he is beyond that. Another case appears later on when Hamlet rebukes
    himself, he curses his "tragic flaw" at his inability to ACT, "I must like a whore unpack my heart with words"

I was thinking the same, Hamlet is actually very distressed about his tendency to overthink things. I wouldn't say he feels that words are more important than actions; he knows he has cause to act and is very frustrated that he can't seem to just do what needs to be done. He sees how passionate the player becomes about Hecuba and pretty much hates himself for his inability to be passionate when he has genuine cause to be... he prefers words alright, but I wouldn't say he thinks they're more important than action.

edit: the only instance I can think of would be "I will speak daggers to her, but use none", where he's saying he'll go to essentially chastise his mother because if he doesn't express his feelings towards her he could end up acting on them and he doesn't want to harm her.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lord Ned Stark

maybe im mistaken but im not saying Hamlet believes it but that he says it about the court of elsinore ? thanks for the help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Well I used this one in my mock paper to show how Hamlet was not going to accept people deceiving him or I said something to that effect anyway :/. It's in Act III Scene II

"You would play upon me, you would seem to know my stops, you would pluck out the heart of my mystery. You would sound me from my lowest note to the top of my compass.

'Sblood, do you think I am easier to be played on than a pipe? Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, you cannot play upon me"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Izymunz

maybe im mistaken but im not saying Hamlet believes it but that he says it about the court of elsinore ? thanks for the help :)
    no problem but to pick up on what you said ..
    Hamlet, if he does not believe in it, would not say it? lol :P
    i.e. why would he say that words are more important when he practically wants to "kill himself" at his own in actions :P
    just trying to logically reason it out :)

Advertisement