Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which pork for sausages?

Options
  • 04-02-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Excuse silly question. Due to work hours and kids I find it hard to get to a proper butcher so I was wondering what cuts of pork should I be using to make sausages. In tesco's I could only see loin chops, escalopes and belly pork strips? Any advice gladly accepted. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

You should get some shoulder meat (60%) and and some belly(40%) from your butcher. Or more shoulder if you want a bit of a bite in your sausage.

If you use all belly, the sausages will be very greasy.

You could use loin chops but they are a bit too lean and too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭trixyben

i have been making my own sausages now for over a month and alot is trial and error, the best parts of the pig is shoulder and belly, more shoulder for a leaner sausage and more belly for a wetter type sausage (due to belly being mainly fat)...the fat is crucial though because if there isnt enough of it in the banger it will be very tough and most likely bust anyway when filling or cooking...there really is no comparison with home made ones compared to ones in the shop (shop sausages are around 50% pork, the rest is fat,rusk,water and preservatives!! i make mine with about 85% pork, you can experiment with loads different flavours and come up with some crackers!

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

i didn't see any shoulder in telco or dunes, so off to the butcher then? Thanks for your replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

tinner777 wrote: »
    i didn't see any shoulder in telco or dunes, so off to the butcher then? Thanks for your replies
    Ask your local butcher to keep you some shoulder and belly trim. If She or he is doing a decent amount of pigs and are not making sausages themselves, they will be only happy to sell you the off cuts. Don't forget to get small amounts and freeze them.

Advertisement