Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise Needed - Working In Swords, Want To Live Near City

Options
  • 04-02-2012 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

I'm due to start work in Swords in a few weeks time and was wondering if those who've worked there before or know the area have any advise for me? Is the public transport good enough to commute to swords and back on a daily basis? Also as a student I'd prefer to live somewhere reasonably cheap. Any advise would be appreciated as I'm completely unfamiliar with this area of Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Drumcondra. Near to the city, and the bus stop at Drumcondra railway station has the 33/41/41c that all go through Swords. It'll take about an hour, and the buses are regular enough.

Also, consider east of DCU, so that you can also get said buses, but also be near enough a college that you'll able to live in a "student house".

What college are you going to, btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

How near, walking distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

the_syco wrote: »
    Drumcondra. Near to the city, and the bus stop at Drumcondra railway station has the 33/41/41c that all go through Swords. It'll take about an hour, and the buses are regular enough.

Also, consider east of DCU, so that you can also get said buses, but also be near enough a college that you'll able to live in a "student house".

What college are you going to, btw?

Cheers will look into those areas. I was told I could be working as early as 7am. Is the bus still an option to travel to swords at this how of the morning?

I'm in UL, hence my lack of knowledge of the wider Dublin area.
    Icepick wrote: »
    How near, walking distance?
    Ideally somewhere roughly a half hour from Swords and within a half hour from the city. Cost of accommodation would be my priority though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yes, there are early morning buses to Swords. They start at 5am!

Drumcondra to Swords on the bus that early in the morning would take around 30 minutes. It has a lot of student accomodation so will probably be in your price range.

Whitehall and Santry would be nearer to Swords again, but not sure on what the accommodation situation is like in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cheers will look into those areas. I was told I could be working as early as 7am. Is the bus still an option to travel to swords at this how of the morning?
    The 41 starts at 5am and leaves Dublin city centre every half hour. The 41 stops going from Swords to Dublin at 11:30PM, so you should be okay. Ring DublinBus and see what sort of documentation you need to get a student weekly ticket: it'll save you money in the long term.
    I'm in UL, hence my lack of knowledge of the wider Dublin area.
    The only UL that Google brought up was University of Limerick, so... what's the full name of the university?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Ideally somewhere roughly a half hour from Swords and within a half hour from the city. Cost of accommodation would be my priority though.
    check Hazelwood Student Apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

The only UL that Google brought up was University of Limerick, so... what's the full name of the university?

That's where I go.

Cheers for all the advise guys now time to begin the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

That's where I go.

Cheers for all the advise guys now time to begin the search.

I guess you're doing your work placement so.

Google DCU student accommodation and loads of the tax built apartments will come up. You've very good choices these days. They discount during Summer weeks (off peak) too.

Look at Google maps for proximity to Swords Rd. you can get full bus routings on Dublin Bus website.

Advertisement