Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More stupid newspaper reports

Options
  • 04-02-2012 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

I was listening to the Colm Hayes show on Wendnesday where there was a discussion on gun ownership,he mention an article that said that there are 215,000 legally held guns in I reland which equated to 1 gun in every seventh home,cant remember the paper cos I wanted to send an email to them.some shooters rang in and gave a great account of the shooting community and explained our sport very well,fair play.
    I would have rang myself to debunk that silly report but was at work.
    anyone know the paper in question,I tried google but only found reports on the court cases and a stupid picture of a guy holding a Glock17 as usual.
    Just goes to show the medias attitude towards us and the misinformation and bulls___e they feed to joe public,no mention of the actual numbers and type of guns either,airguns/starting pistols,humane killers etc just a broad and ill informed report,some thing never change.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

News hacks are the same the world over - sensationalism sells more newspapers and TV shows than factual accounts of ordinary folks with a different interest.

As you say, in a country where even a piddling little airgun that has a hard time breaking a bloon is classed as a firearm, there is no possible hope of reading or seeing anything else other than total sh!te whenever guns are in the headlines.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

I have been surprised not to hear any debate on the last word with matt cooper about the current court cases

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Another story that hit the papers Sunday mentioning
    Gun Nut, Hunting etc etc (The papercopy had the words Gun Nut on the front page)
    http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/sw-irish-crime.php

(It does make me wonder though how a Criminal managed to Licence
    his own rifle with moderator if its his own gun thats featured in the photo published)

~B

'McNally was labelled one of Ireland's dumbest criminals after a bungling raid on a shop in Kells, Co Meath in September 2007. His hand got stuck in the till during the raid, the getaway car could only go in reverse gear and when gardai caught up with McNally and his girlfriend Amy Fay, the stolen money fell out of their pockets. McNally was sentenced to seven-and-a-half years after being caught with €200,000 worth of heroin in Raheny in 2006. He was released from prison last year.

Our exclusive pictures show McNally posing with a rifle. He was a gun enthusiast who, despite his criminal convictions, was involved in hunting.'

What a stunning verdict on Irish gun laws this is - a criminal gang-member, in jail for seven years for taking part in armed robbery and in possession of 200,000eu worth of heroin, yet still judged by his local Garda superintendent as a suitable and totally trustworthy candidate to not only have a sporting rifle of some kind, but a moderator as well - something that not every legitimate shooter is allowed to have.....

IF this is true, surely questions should be asked at the highest level about the judgement of this particular police officer?

tac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I wonder how old the photo is?

I mean most minor convictions disentitle you from having a firearm. Armed robbery would be pretty high up on the list. So if the photo is before his "career" took off then its simply sensationalism, as per usual. Also is it actually his rifle? Does it say he was licensed on it?

Him standing with a gun looks better than him with friends, family, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I can't see the pictures in the link , is this the picture of him holding a tikka with a black plastic stock ? it was in the evening herald also if it is.
    I have no doubt that the rifle is unlicenced , probabily stolen , no superintendent would sign his name to a licence for a convicted criminal like him, it would be professional suicide if the gun was used in a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Crime Correspondents with the Sunday World [EMAIL="news@sundayworld.com?subject=Enquiry%20via%20Sunday%20World%20website"]news@sundayworld.com[/EMAIL]

Suggest a serious amount of emails sent their direction pointing out that either[1] there is a Garda Cheif Super or Superintendant out there who is clinicly and /or professionally insane and issued a convicted criminal a FAC.:eek::eek:
    Or [2] they have got some serious facts wrong,and need to recheck the storys facts,and please quit publishing tripe about firearms.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Crime Correspondents with the Sunday World news@sundayworld.com

Suggest a serious amount of emails sent their direction pointing out that either[1] there is a Garda Cheif Super or Superintendant out there who is clinicly and /or professionally insane and issued a convicted criminal a FAC.:eek::eek:
    Or [2] they have got some serious facts wrong,and need to recheck the storys facts,and please quit publishing tripe about firearms.

Well, I didn't like to say that in case somebody here took offence at a half-furriner casting aspersions on the sanity of a fine Irish pleeceman. But I agree with you 100%.

tac

Advertisement