Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second hand car puchase advise

Options
  • 04-02-2012 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi All

Hopefully this is the correct forum for this post. I'm about to buy a second hand car having been out of the "motoring market" for quiet some time (was abroad). I've already picked out the car I plan to buy (almost) etc and what I'm wondering is what the procedure is, so:

1. Tax is expired on the car since end of Jan. Obviously if I purchase in Feb, I'm responsible for tax in Feb. But how about getting it home etc, am I given a grace period to drive the car after purchasing it, and how do I prove (if stopped) that the car has just been purchased ?

2. As far as I recall (from last time I sold a car 10 years ago) the seller is responsible for re-registering the car in the buyers name. Is this still correct ? Presumably I should have to sign this form also ? Should I receive a copy with the car (to prove I own the car) ? Should I bring a blank form with me and if so, where can I get it. Also, how long does it take for the change of ownership to be processed

3. From what I understand, a car cannot be taxed unless you've received notification from the tax office. So presumably I should receive something from the seller to allow me to tax it ? Or will this come through with the new car ownership log.

4. In addition to the NCT disc, I think there is also an NCT certificate. Should I receive this with the car, or will I recieve a new one in the post at the same time the ownership change is done ?

5. Any other advice/anything that I've forgotten ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IsThisOneFree

Just remembered one other question I forgot - if I buy the car in a county different than where I live (eg buy car in meath but live in Dublin) do I need to do anything different for tax etc ? eg "unregister" in meath and register in Dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Buffman

1. Tax is expired on the car since end of Jan. Obviously if I purchase in Feb, I'm responsible for tax in Feb. But how about getting it home etc, am I given a grace period to drive the car after purchasing it, and how do I prove (if stopped) that the car has just been purchased ?

I wouldn't worry about this, you'll have a dated receipt, and guards don't really worry about tax until it's 2 months out.
    2. As far as I recall (from last time I sold a car 10 years ago) the seller is responsible for re-registering the car in the buyers name. Is this still correct ? Presumably I should have to sign this form also ? Should I receive a copy with the car (to prove I own the car) ? Should I bring a blank form with me and if so, where can I get it. Also, how long does it take for the change of ownership to be processed

No forms for most car's today, you fill in the back of the VRC (registration certificate) that the seller has. Then you should both post it together so you both know it's sent. Time takes anywhere between a week and a month from what I've heard lately. If the car's pre-93 it's slightly different but I'm assuming it's not.
    3. From what I understand, a car cannot be taxed unless you've received notification from the tax office. So presumably I should receive something from the seller to allow me to tax it ? Or will this come through with the new car ownership log.

Well, as a new owner you'll have to use the RF100a, then for future taxing you'll get the reminders in the post. You need the car to be in your name to tax it and you tax it at your local councils motor tax office. (Ie, you'll have to wait until you recieve the new VRC from Shannon.)
    4. In addition to the NCT disc, I think there is also an NCT certificate. Should I receive this with the car, or will I recieve a new one in the post at the same time the ownership change is done ?

Yep, the certificate stays with the car, the seller should give it to you.
    5. Any other advice/anything that I've forgotten ?

This thread may be heplful.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Just remembered one other question I forgot - if I buy the car in a county different than where I live (eg buy car in meath but live in Dublin) do I need to do anything different for tax etc ? eg "unregister" in meath and register in Dublin ?

No, you don't need to do anything. You'll be taxing it in whatever county you live in.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Read the guide to buying used cars at the top of this Forum

1. Tax is only out 4 days so unless your very very very unlucky you should be fine . Get a receipt with date of purchase
    2. Yes fill in the Reg Cert , I suggest bring a stamped envelop and post it with the owner to shannon DOE before you part. no form needed
    3 a new cert will come to you within 10 days but you can tax online sooner
    4, get the full nct cert from the owner but this is not a show stopper
    5 Check the car isn't on finance or ex write off motorcheck.ie

Put details of car up here for advice
    Good luck

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the replies, greatly appreciated. Sorry for my late reply - bought my car now and so far so good !!

Thanks again

• Advertisement

bought my car now and so far so good !!

Happy motoring, what did you get?

Thanks very much, bought a Seat Cordoba '07 - was a toss up between that and the Ibiza. The Ibiza was nicer (more features etc) but over my budget. At the end of the day, the Cordoba was perfectly fine, just not quiet as exciting !!

Advertisement