Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone know how to do Thermal Bridge Calculation Apex of Roof

• 04-02-2012 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,

We have built a 2 storey T shaped ICF house and my BER assessor is preparing the final BER (looks like it will be A2 rating). He has hit a stumbling block as he is not sure how to do the thermal bridge calculation for the apex of the roof.

The make of of our roof is:
    • Natural Slate
    • Counter Batten
    • Dupont Tyvek Suprpo Taped
    • Rafters 400m centres total depth 225mm (made up of 7" x 2" rafter + 2"x2" batten screwed to underside)
    • 225mm deep Daemmstatt Cellulose (lambda D 0.037 W/mK)
    • Intello Plus Membrane

I was wondering if anybody here can point us in the right direction.

Regards,

Windyboy

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

your BER assessor is taking the piss

edit:

infracted. post in a helpful manner or dont post at all.

sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭windyboy

Bryan,

Care to elaborate?

Windyboy

windyboy wrote: »
    Hi,

my BER assessor is preparing the final BER (looks like it will be A2 rating). He has hit a stumbling block as he is not sure how to do the thermal bridge calculation for the apex of the roof.

The make of of our roof is:
    • Natural Slate
    • Counter Batten
    • Dupont Tyvek Suprpo Taped
    • Rafters 400m centres total depth 225mm (made up of 7" x 2" rafter + 2"x2" batten screwed to underside)
    • 225mm deep Daemmstatt Cellulose (lambda D 0.037 W/mK)
    • Intello Plus Membrane

I was wondering if anybody here can point us in the right direction.

Regards,

Windyboy
    apologies if I seemed harsh, what I meant was, your BER assessor needs to either learn how to do thermal bridge calculations or if necessary pay someone else to do them. and really should know better than coming to you/the client for an answer to this.. best of luck with your BER, kind regards BryanF

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fatboise

Apology accepted but why jump in with your big size 10's to start with. I have already talked to the "Client" (he's a fiend) about getting the thermal bridging calculations done and the cost of getting them calculated. I have software that can calculate the thermal bridging factor but only for basic 90 degree junctions and I don't think there's any harm with putting the question out there to see if by chance anybody has had this thermal bridge calculated?

I hope that next time you find out a bit more information before you start making assumptions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Fatboise wrote: »
    Apology accepted but why jump in with your big size 10's to start with. I have already talked to the "Client" (he's a fiend) about getting the thermal bridging calculations done and the cost of getting them calculated. I have software that can calculate the thermal bridging factor but only for basic 90 degree junctions and I don't think there's any harm with putting the question out there to see if by chance anybody has had this thermal bridge calculated?

I hope that next time you find out a bit more information before you start making assumptions!
    Who are you and why did you open an account here?

muffler, forum moderator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Fatboise

I'm the BER assessor that BryanF is referring to

I'm the BER assessor that BryanF is referring to
    You are more than welcome to join in any discussion here but if your sole intention was to sign up just to have a pop at another member then you have made a big mistake.

If you care to read back you will see that BryanF's comment earned him an infraction so dont jump in here and attempt to undermine the forum moderators

assumptions!
    I found the OP's post strange.. to have a client on a forum looking for answers on behalf of an assessor? its usually the other way around, isnt it?
    my BER assessor is preparing the final BER (looks like it will be A2 rating). He has hit a stumbling block as he is not sure how to do the thermal bridge calculation
    my concern was solely for the OP/ 'the client'. and in response to the info given, I felt it necessary to question the assessors professionalism, albeit not very eloquently which I apologised for above.
    windyboy wrote: »
    Bryan, Care to elaborate? Windyboy
    OP as regards your question, if you would like to PM me, i can given you the names of several professionals capable of carrying out this calculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭creedp

BryanF wrote: »
    apologies if I seemed harsh, what I meant was, your BER assessor needs to either learn how to do thermal bridge calculations or if necessary pay someone else to do them. and really should know better than coming to you/the client for an answer to this.. best of luck with your BER, kind regards BryanF

In fairness BrianF, this wouldn't be the only BER assesser out there in trouble on this one. This is sometimes a problem as these issues are not clear to the client in advance. What did I know about a thermal bridge calculation in advance of acquiring a BER assessor? Nothing! There are very good guys out there and then there are others not quite up to scratch ... like all walks of life I suppose. Maybe its back to the point that what does a BER cost?

Right lads, lets leave it at that and stick to the topic please. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement