Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patrick's weekend?

Options
  • 04-02-2012 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

St. Patrick's Day falls on a Saturday this year and there is a Bank Holiday on Monday 19th March.

Is the Saturday a normal trading day? Or will it be similar to Bank Holiday hours in the shops?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

I heard they have cancelled St Patrick's Day due to the large number of people drinking, getting sick, fighting and also having fun. Is this true, or do people only mind when it's students?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

people drink, get sick, have fun every weekend, every match, every holiday. However, when it comes to students they think (or don't think) about where they are doing it. To be honest, it is their first time away from home and they don't have the intelligence to think about where they are and what they are doing, hence heading home at 3 a.m. and blaring their music, knocking and ringing on doorbells, screaming and shouting. Thankfully tho the colleges and the residences have organised themselves and there are consequences. The quicker they learn the better. You can't deny that students go mad when they get their first taste of freedom away from their mammys and daddys. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Shop Street is always like the afters of a riot at around 5 on Paddy's Day. A few solemn soldiers of war (students) stumble through the wreckage and horror to meet up with their friends in Eyre Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭piscesgirl1

Shop Street is always like the afters of a riot at around 5 on Paddy's Day. A few solemn soldiers of war (students) stumble through the wreckage and horror to meet up with their friends in Eyre Square.

If you think shop street is bad you should never step foot in hole in the wall on paddys day. You have to sift through the vomit and broken glass to get to the bar!!!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So the 17th isn't the official public holiday, meaning the shops will be open regular hours, and everyone who normally works on Saturday will be working? The Post Office will be open? The buses will run to a Saturday timetable? Etc, etc?

What day is the parade on?

What day will ye all go out drinking?

And then there's a holiday on Monday to recover from it all????

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    So the 17th isn't the official public holiday, meaning the shops will be open regular hours, and everyone who normally works on Saturday will be working? The Post Office will be open? The buses will run to a Saturday timetable? Etc, etc?

What day is the parade on?

What day will ye all go out drinking?

And then there's a holiday on Monday to recover from it all????

Isn't the 17th a religious holiday anyway? Pretty much the only time I'm glad Ireland is still a religious state :rolleyes:

I've always been a fierce advocate of moving the national holiday to the 18th anyway. Would make a lot more sense :pac:

I wasn't aware that religious holidays had any effect on how things operate here ... I've certainly had to work most Good Fridays since I arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Really? Name another country where they whip out the bong at 18:00? Really curious to know if any other country does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The 17th is the public (National) holiday. Most shops will be open anyway as they usually are on StPs.
    Lots of people = lots of commerce.

If you work on a public holiday time can be taken in lieu or you receive extra pay.
    This is between you and your employer.

Eman Resu wrote: »
    Really? Name another country where they whip out the bong at 18:00? Really curious to know if any other country does this.

In certain Muslim countries, there is public prayer five times a day.

Don't think I've ever seen anyone stop to actually pray at 6pm.

• Advertisement

:eek: now that sounds like a religion I might subscribe to

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

JustMary wrote: »
    In certain Muslim countries, there is public prayer five times a day.

Don't think I've ever seen anyone stop to actually pray at 6pm.

Granted, but does any other national television channel have a "stepford wives" (the original NOT the remake) moment at six o'clock?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

well in the muslim countries you have the "call to prayer" a few times per day, over a "tanoy system" for everyone to hear.

Advertisement