Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serving Drinks Etiquette in Dublin Pubs

Options
  • 04-02-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭

Anyone come across particular etiquette in dublin pubs? Particularly the older style ones.

Was out last night and "interrupted" the barman with a two pint order while he was pulling a pint. He replied with a smart answer something along the lines of "you want to add to this order then is it?" - a round about way of saying wait your turn.

No problems at all waiting my turn but its pretty much a given in Ireland that a barman has the ability to remember 3 or 4 separate orders, having worked behind a busy bar for a few years myself.

Is there an etiquette in some pubs that I wasn't aware of? Or was I just dealing with a disgruntled barman? Thought is would be interesting to find out any other types of etiquette that people have come across before.

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

When the barman asks me what do I want, I tell him.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I've never come across this, but then again I'd never interrupt a barman. I always wait for them to come to me, they've enough going on in their heads without punters giving them further orders and confusing them. A lot do seem to be able to remember an astounding number of orders at once though...

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Should have just said yes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

I was in the pub trade along time and i can serve 5-6 rounds at any one time
    when very busy you just go into auto mode. just looks like that barman was lazy cheeky and untrained, if he had just two pints on the go and could not take an order and even say be a min or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Moved from tGC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Neary's?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Just ask them for what you want but add 'whenever you;re ready please' at the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Go to Nearys in Chattam st. Dublin...they'll put manners on ya...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Wait until they ask you what you want...?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Most barmen/women i have dealt with are fine, but you'll always have the tw@ who can't do two things at once, or who ignores you for the women, etc. I bring my custom elsewhere when i meet ones like that. If i had a bar i wouldn't hire anyone for serving unless they had a bartending course done.

I will give major major Kudos to the blonde working behind the bar by the door in the Foundry in Waterford. I won't say her name, but she is definitely one of the best bar-person i have ever had the privilege of being served by. 10/10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Click your fingers next time OP

Barmen just love when you do that to get their attention...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

mikemac1 wrote: »

And waiters/waitresses!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Anyone come across particular etiquette in dublin pubs? Particularly the older style ones.

Was out last night and "interrupted" the barman with a two pint order while he was pulling a pint. He replied with a smart answer something along the lines of "you want to add to this order then is it?" - a round about way of saying wait your turn.

No problems at all waiting my turn but its pretty much a given in Ireland that a barman has the ability to remember 3 or 4 separate orders, having worked behind a busy bar for a few years myself.

Is there an etiquette in some pubs that I wasn't aware of? Or was I just dealing with a disgruntled barman? Thought is would be interesting to find out any other types of etiquette that people have come across before.

cheers

There may have been other orders to be dealt with or customers waiting before you maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Moved from tGC
    Dublin forum???

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The op should try drinking in the UK,the barstaff can barely handle an order of 2 drinks at a time.Absolutely useless,rounds were a waste of time as the barstaff nearly had a mental breakdown trying to remember the order.

A local barman down here would put them to shame,the guy is a machine when it comes to orders and serving drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

patwicklow wrote: »
    just looks like that barman was lazy cheeky and untrained,

More like the OP was being rude and cheeky by not even waiting to be acknowledged by the barman before ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

If you get unwarranted lip from a barman, move on, go somewhere else. They should be glad you are in there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Did all the Pubs outside of Dublin close then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

mikemac1 wrote: »

And waiters/waitresses!

Everybody knows (or should) it takes more than two fingers to make a waitress come.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Dublin forum???

What about it?

Do people not order drinks outside Dublin?? The thread title says Dublin, fair enough, but come on!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Aren't some pubs in Dublin unionized?
    It's a reason they don't open St Stephens Day, only the biggest session of the year for the rest of Ireland

rabble rabble, I blame the unions for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From AH, there may be a difference between Dub pubs and then rest of the nation, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

OP sounds like a cock. The barman was right to make him wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Most barmen/women i have dealt with are fine, but you'll always have the tw@ who can't do two things at once, or who ignores you for the women, etc. I bring my custom elsewhere when i meet ones like that. If i had a bar i wouldn't hire anyone for serving unless they had a bartending course done.

I will give major major Kudos to the blonde working behind the bar by the door in the Foundry in Waterford. I won't say her name, but she is definitely one of the best bar-person i have ever had the privilege of being served by. 10/10.

In that case you should head off to america, because majority of bar people in Ireland. 95% don't do a course. Its a trade you acquire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

skregs wrote: »
    OP sounds like a cock. The barman was right to make him wait.

thanks skregs, how did you guess, I am a cock!

In a busy bar, you will never queue up, you will never get a ticket and wait to be served, there is no system for ordering drinks, therefore catching the barmans eye is the only way of ordering in a busy bar. pretty ruthless unfortunately most of the time. When trying to perform this task,If a barman does have too much on their mind, then asking you to hold on is the normal response, which I completely understand having worked in a bar. If you fancy just standing back and waiting your turn to be served, you'll be pretty thirsty by closing.

So,etiquette? or rude barman?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Chinafoot wrote: »
    More like the OP was being rude and cheeky by not even waiting to be acknowledged by the barman before ordering.

Agree. Would definitely wait until until the barman had made eye contact with me (at the very least) before giving him my order. Would never just shout it out while he was attending to someone elses order. That's just being rude and pushy. Also, others may have been there waiting to place an order before you. Whether or not the bar man can remember your order it is irrelevant. When you are in a restaurant or Starbucks or just the humble chipper, you don't shout out your order to the waiter/server as he is attending to another table/customer. You wait until he is ready to take your order. It's just good manners. Why should a pub be any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Agree. Would definitely wait until until the barman had made eye contact with me (at the very least) before giving him my order. Would never just shout it out while he was attending to someone elses order. That's just being rude and pushy. Also, others may have been there waiting to place an order before you. Whether or not the bar man can remember your order it is irrelevant. When you are in a restaurant or Starbucks or just the humble chipper, you don't shout out your order to the waiter/server as he is attending to another table/customer. You wait until he is ready to take your order. It's just good manners. Why should a pub be any different?

point taken, however - there is no system for ordering drinks, therefore catching the barmans eye is the only way of ordering in a busy bar

never mentioned about shouting out an order

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

cheers

Next time order 10 pints of Guinness, wait till they're poured then tell'em you've changed your mind and walks out

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I've been a barman (amongst other things) for 10+ years and the OP has probably done the one thing that I find most irritating when working in busy bars. There's no way that in any other social setting you would interrupt someone who is clearly busy by telling them what you want.

It would be considered exceptionally rude. If I'm honest, it is exceptionally rude. The "etiquette" is to wait until you are called on to place your order. If you feel that other people (hot girls) are getting served before you, either send a hot girl up to order your drinks or complain to someone in charge.

(Before you complain - You also have to consider the value that a pub will place on having hot girls who are getting drunk there vs. ignorant old lads who get cranky if they can't get a drink.)

There's nothing wrong with being animated when your waiting at a bar, the easiest way to be served is to get the attention of the barman, but there's no call whatsoever for rudeness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

point taken, however - there is no system for ordering drinks, therefore catching the barmans eye is the only way of ordering in a busy bar never mentioned about shouting out an order

Yes, but in your original post you specifically mentioned "interrupting" the bar man as he was pulling pints for others. You don't normally interrupt someone that you are have eye contact with. Hence my presumption that you got his attention by raising your voice above the throng in order to place your order.

Advertisement