Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serving Drinks Etiquette in Dublin Pubs

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Doom wrote: »
    Next time order 10 pints of Guinness, wait till they're poured then tell'em you've changed your mind and walks out

You think barmen are that stupid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I've been a barman (amongst other things) for 10+ years and the OP has probably done the one thing that I find most irritating when working in busy bars. There's no way that in any other social setting you would interrupt someone who is clearly busy by telling them what you want.

Would ya get a grip. You were not a brain surgeon. You were getting paid to work behind a bar. An ''i'll be there with you in a minute'' would be the right thing to say, any pub that employs lippy barmen with a bad attitude doesn't deserve custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

0.19 seconds sums it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Cicero wrote: »
    Go to Nearys in Chattam st. Dublin...they'll put manners on ya...:p

Just wondering about this. Has it a reputation for surly barmen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Neary's?
    Cicero wrote: »
    Go to Nearys in Chattam st. Dublin...they'll put manners on ya...:p

I was wondering the same as Delta bravo

What's so special about this place?

Does the owner kick people out over nothing? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

and "interrupted" the barman with a two pint order while he was pulling a pint
    As well as annoying the barman that type of behaviour shows arrogance to other polite customers who may have been there before you but are waiting patiently for their turn to be served.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Would ya get a grip. You were not a brain surgeon. You were getting paid to work behind a bar. An ''i'll be there with you in a minute'' would be the right thing to say, any pub that employs lippy barmen with a bad attitude doesn't deserve custom.

I agree.

But the OP did say he 'interrupted' the barman. As a former barman myself, I had no problem with anyone trying to get my attention. But interrupting someone is a different thing altogether.

It doesn't matter if you are a barman or a brain surgeon - everyone is entitled to some respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Anyone come across particular etiquette in dublin pubs? Particularly the older style ones.

Was out last night and "interrupted" the barman with a two pint order while he was pulling a pint. He replied with a smart answer something along the lines of "you want to add to this order then is it?" - a round about way of saying wait your turn.

No problems at all waiting my turn but its pretty much a given in Ireland that a barman has the ability to remember 3 or 4 separate orders, having worked behind a busy bar for a few years myself.

Is there an etiquette in some pubs that I wasn't aware of? Or was I just dealing with a disgruntled barman? Thought is would be interesting to find out any other types of etiquette that people have come across before.

cheers

if a barman has his head down and is concentrated on pulling a pint I leave him be. not everyone can multitask and he will get different orders if he is waiting for a pint to settle. If he looks up during the process of pintpulling I say 'two pints when you are ready please'

maybe an unrelated matter but are barmen revered too much in this country? for some folk to bet barred is a fate worse than death and when ordering these folk approach the almighty barkeep with great fear and reverence. I believe David McSavage lampooned this.

its a common feature of a superpub. they are wedged to the rafters so they can afford to treat the customer like dirt. usually its some pup who is not a real barman

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »
    Did all the Pubs outside of Dublin close then?

apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fuinseog wrote: »
    are barmen revered too much in this country?
    I'd say the opposite is true. Most people wouldn't shout their order in a shop, bank, butchers, takeaway etc. but patiently wait their turn to be served.

Have you ever heard "A bank draft for €100 when you're ready please" coming from the floor in a bank?

I will never forget the time I was in the Quays in Galway, a superpub with about ten bouncers and generally avoided by the natives. I ordered a few drinks and then realised I ordered one to many. when I tried to cancel it the guy behind the bar started shouting at me and insisted that I pay for all the drinks. I told him I wanted to speak to the manager. The manager arrived with three bouncers, who agreed that I had only to pay for the amount of pints I wanted. I got a the pint and the three bouncers stayed beside me until I drank it and left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

The only etiquette I'm aware of is to wait until the barman asks you, or if he's in the middle of an order wait for the eye contact.

I've never just wandered up to a bar and just said my order in the general direction of a busy barman.

I'd say the opposite is true. Most people wouldn't shout their order in a shop, bank, butchers, takeaway etc. but patiently wait their turn to be served.

Have you ever heard "A bank draft for €100 when you're ready please" coming from the floor in a bank?

in these places there is queue and people are served in that order. very often this not the case in a pub and the cute blonde who squeezes through will get served ahead of those who have been queuing patiently. it sometimes seems the barman serves who he wants to first and this will irritate the humble drinker of pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

David McSavage lampooning something doesn't necessarily mean anything, he's not exactly funny in any way.

Anyway, a person who can tend a bar correctly should be respected.

Des wrote: »
    David McSavage lampooning something doesn't necessarily mean anything, he's not exactly funny in any way.

Anyway, a person who can tend a bar correctly should be respected.

i hate McSavage , but he is supposed to comment on social matters so I thought I would mention him. Respect the barman by all means but grovel before him, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

In an old style bar like Mulligans or Nearys I'd wait. I don't drink in superpub wánker style pubs anymore -like The Turks Head, 4 Dame Lane, or The Mezz(do they even exist any more?), but when I did, if you didn't shout your order in, you may as well go home cos you won't get served.
    As for the barman being smart, that's out of order too. He should just tell you he'll be with you in a moment.

For future reference op: If people in the pub are mostly drinking stout and/or whiskey wait for the barman to make eye contact. If they're drinking lager like Heninken/Carlsberg/Miller shout in your order. If they're all drinking bud tell the bar man you'll syringe him if he doesn't serve you next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Fuinseog wrote: »
    maybe an unrelated matter but are barmen revered too much in this country?

It used to be apprenticed job or else you did courses with CERT, tourism training agency.
    It was a good job with good money

Now it's a McJob of little more then minimum wage. And if you have years experience you'll get a bit more but not a lot

Revered? You'd have less stress and the same money on the checkout in Tesco

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

Paparazzo wrote: »
    In an old style bar like Mulligans or Nearys I'd wait. I don't drink in superpub wánker style pubs anymore -like The Turks Head, 4 Dame Lane, or The Mezz(do they even exist any more?), but when I did, if you didn't shout your order in, you may as well go home cos you won't get served.
    As for the barman being smart, that's out of order too. He should just tell you he'll be with you in a moment.

For future reference op: If people in the pub are mostly drinking stout and/or whiskey wait for the barman to make eye contact. If they're drinking lager like Heninken/Carlsberg/Miller shout in your order. If they're all drinking bud tell the bar man you'll syringe him if he doesn't serve you next.

:D So true!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

Best bartenders in Dublin pubs IMO are in Toners....worst are in Whelans. I will generally wait for the barman to catch my eye, but I also note who else is waiting, and I do speak up if someone taller or louder tries to jump in ahead of me

Advertisement