Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you remember: Rollcage

Options
  • 04-02-2012 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭

Rollcage

198511_93416_front.jpg

Published by: Attention to Detail
    Developed by: Psygnosis
    Genre: Racing
    Number of Players: 1-2
    Release Date:March 24, 1999
    WARNING! 360 degree no rules, non-stop racing may lead to temporary disorientation, dizziness, loss of awareness or involuntary movements. But don't let that stop you... indestructible vehicles, jaw-dropping speed, awesome array of hidden features, split-screen battle tracks, drive anywhere you dare: on tunnel ceilings, on walls or through buildings. Featuring music by: Aphrodite, Ashley Beedle present the Uschi Classen Band, Danmass, Ed Rush & Nico, EZ Rollers, Fatboy Slim, Freestyles, Hoax, Les Rosbifs, pascal, Pressure Rise, Ratman.

If you didn't play this game, you missed out on a fantastic experience. I bought this game simply because i loved my Tyco Rebound, and Rollcage was racing weaponised Rebounds! I didn't know it would turn out to be a firm favourite and much loved game of mine. There are 4 "Worlds": Neoto City, based on an actual Japanese city; Harpoon Islands, a group of tropical islands; Sapphire Springs, ice and snow laden land; and Outworld: a mining planet on Mars. Each track got harder, and each world significantly so. And the weapons were just as hard, from a Leader tracking missile, a worm hole to teleport you in front of the person in front of you, shield and speed boosts, and a competition slowing Continuum Warper.

What made this game unique, was the Rebound feature, being able to throw your car into anything with the knowledge that you can continue driving even upside-down. It just freakin' rocked!!!

And the soundtrack was perfectly suited, with the excellent Fatboy Slim providing an original soundtrack along with other (then famous) artists. I do believe that this game was actually my introduction to Fatboy Slim, and i'm still a fan to this day. I got hours upon hours of this game, and it was succeeded by the just as fantastic Rollcage Stage II, which introduced extremely tricky challenges.

I still have Rollcage Stage II upstairs, and i think we should petition SCE Liverpool to make a new one on current gen hardware, it would be EPIC!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

YES!

I absolutely loved that game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

Haha yessss what a game. From what I remember I got the demo version of the game free with my PS1 on a multi-game disk along with other classics such as Shinobi, Abe's Odyssey and Overboard. Had some serious good times back in the day playing that bad boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I had almost forgotten about this game, I remember renting it out at least twice from the local Chartbusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Hell yea, I absolutely loved that game. When we got a little bit off topic in another thread the other day and Battlezone/Incoming was brought up, I remembered this 3Dfx-powered (I had it on the PC) pyrotechnic delight and fired it up again. Still plays brilliantly and is begging for a sequel to be made. Here's hoping Wipeout 2048 totally bombs so they decide to do something else with their tech :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I loved this game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Awesome game

Second one was crap though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Krieg wrote: »
    Awesome game

Second one was crap though

Ah it wasn't, it was more of the goodness, but lacked the Fatboy Slim excellence of the first one i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Ah it wasn't, it was more of the goodness, but lacked the Fatboy Slim excellence of the first one i believe.

I remember being really disappointed by it because of the monotonous shortened tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

I got the demo version of the game free with my PS1 on a multi-game disk along with other classics such as Shinobi, Abe's Odyssey and Overboard

I had the same demo but without shinobi? Was that not the sega 6 in 1 game?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Got the demo with an issue of Official Playstation Magazine. Played it over and over trying to get a fast lap time. OPM were running a competition - people with the top 10 times got to compete for a prize at some event.

Can't remember what the prize was, but it was compelling enough for me to phone up their offices to ask whether non-UK residents could enter. While on the phone they let me know that I'd need to shave another second, of half second, off my best time - which was not going to happen.

Didn't buy the game in the end. Too much random chance brought about by the main mechanic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I remember zooming along to fatboyslim and thinking "this is the future of gaming right here' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I only played the demo, I do remember enjoying it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Still have it and play it!

Nothing like double speed boosts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Ah, what a game indeed!

The feeling of dread when a leader missile overtook you... BOOM! The sense of impact was immense.

Loved the "hi-spec" mode that removed all the detail and competitors from the track but doubled the framerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Remember it? Hell, I still play it from time to time. Only played the demo of the first game, but clocked up a hell of a lot of hours on Rollcage: Stage II. Rediculous speed, and utterly chaotic gameplay. Loadsa fun to be had with that badboy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Can we start a petition to get it up on PSN??? :pac:

Big Knox wrote: »
    Can we start a petition to get it up on PSN??? :pac:

Never mind getting it up on PSN, lets start a petition to get a RollCage Stage 3!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I used Rollcage II as my "game of the week" over on the A&R forum a couple of weeks back.
    A truly stonking game, eclipses Wipeout 2097 imho too.
    Great soundtrack as well by Moving Shadow, kick ass dance music DJ/Producer from back in the early 00's.
    The visuals are fantastic and the weapons have great imagination.
    There was a third game, Firebugs, featuring the same kind of mechanics but lacking the style in preference for a load of Mario Kart/Speed Freaks wanna-be's, needless to say it tanked.
    But a reboot of the series would be great, although I think futuristic racers have gone off the boil lately, none of that genre selling aside from the aforementioned Wipeout, sadly.

That's because most futuristic racers are crap! RollCage, if made properly, would beat the shoite out of anything else. Basically, if they remade RollCage but made it shinier, faster, more vehicles, more tracks, and MP, it would be epic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Total non-recall. This must be one of them titles I judged by its cover and avoided like the plague!! oh what fun I did miss.

• Advertisement

That's because most futuristic racers are crap! RollCage, if made properly, would beat the shoite out of anything else. Basically, if they remade RollCage but made it shinier, faster, more vehicles, more tracks, and MP, it would be epic!

Are you insane?? :eek:

deathrider wrote: »
    Are you insane?? :eek:

Ah 500mph is nothing by today's standards! I think it should be ramped up to 800mph!

@LH Pathe: You missed a truely unique (at the time) racer. Actually, how many other racers let you drive on the ceilings?? And let you shoot a worm hole that instantly put you in front of the car in front of you? Or let you flip the car upside-down and continue on as if the world wasn't after turning upside-down?!? All to a pounding soundtrack by the likes of Fatboy Slim?

Was it not a whole lot faster that that later in the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

.. an acquired taste?!! monke this completely slipped my gaydar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Dante

Gandalph wrote: »
    I had the same demo but without shinobi? Was that not the sega 6 in 1 game?!

Chrisht, I'd have to seriously rack my brain to remember that, for some reason I seem to recall Shinobi being on that disk...The chances are that I'm horribly wrong though!

deathrider wrote: »
    Was it not a whole lot faster that that later in the game?

It definitely felt faster!

I remember breaking out the old PS1 about four or five years ago, and playing through Stage II again. The speed in the later levels still blew me away. Certainly a lot faster than that video. Either that, or these old glasses have become rose tinted after all.

Advertisement