Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing flowers for wedding Boquet

Options
  • 04-02-2012 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking for some advice. I want to grow my own flowers for my wedding Boquet but have no idea where to buy them or what conditions they would nd to grow. I have access to a glass house and a pollytunnel. The flowers are as follows Lilly of the Valley, Stephanotis plant, Jasmine and Ornithogalum Thyrosides. Am I asking too much to be able to grow them myself? I have a year and half to try accomplish this. I have tried to attach a pic of what I would be aiming for :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You have a year and a half, but at the end you will be looking for all of them to be in perfect flower at the same time. Professional growers would have perfect conditions and specific variaties that will the produce the sturdy, long stemmed, long lasting flowers that a florist would need. There is no harm in trying, but do you really want that hassle on the day of your wedding?

My daughter in law tried something similar - though for church flowers - as she is a keen gardener. Between us we got some great successes and some total failures! We didn't have cover though and the weather was against us. In the end we used some to make a huge display for the entrance to the church, and smaller flowers for the pew ends. She had a florist make up her bouquet and the altar/side flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

first of all, what time of year is your wedding, and what part of country are you, because you will see flowers in bloom near south west coast, while inland and more north of the country there may be no blooms, also look around you and see what is in bloom and when, say if you had a summer wedding, hydreangia would make a huge display with little effort, i know you have the cover, but that could do for bouqeus, but there are lots of different bulbs selling that would give huge displays gladioli come to mind aubritia, they are sure to grow and give a good yield, and when buying the bulbs you have the choice of colours,

Advertisement