Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen pizza issue!

Options
  • 04-02-2012 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭

Here's one. Does anyone go into Spar, buy a frozen pizza, and then get them to cook it? I do this and it's handy to sit down in the café part and eat it. Recently one of the managers said he's going to charge me extra the next time I do this. So is he out of order on this or should I be expected to pay extra for this service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Nolanger wrote: »
    Here's one. Does anyone go into Spar, buy a frozen pizza, and then get them to cook it? I do this and it's handy to sit down in the café part and eat it. Recently one of the managers said he's going to charge me extra the next time I do this. So is he out of order on this or should I be expected to pay extra for this service?

I think there is a different VAT rate for food eaten on premises versus food taken away. Dunno if it applies to frozen food.
    He'd be well within his rights to charge for cooking and providing somewhere to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Are you really asking if he's out of order to charge you for cooking your food and supplying an area for you to eat it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I expect you to pay extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

He's providing a service, and is well within his rights to charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Does anyone go into Spar, buy a frozen pizza, and then get them to cook it?

Only when my apartments rooftop water tank has run out of dead pigeons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

See what you can make of this:
    2 Food and drink supplied in the course of operating a catering business (including Vending Machines, Take-Aways, and Supermarkets).

2.1 Food and drink normally chargeable to VAT at the zero-rate becomes liable to VAT at the reduced rate when supplied in the course of operating hotels, restaurants, cafes, canteens, public houses, caterers and other similar businesses or by means of vending machines.

2.2 Food and drink normally liable to VAT at the standard rate becomes liable at the reduced rate when supplied in the course of provision of a meal by any of the specified classes of business (see preceding paragraph) excluding alcohol, soft drinks and vegetable juice.

2.3 Alcohol, soft drinks, bottled waters and health drinks are liable to VAT at the standard rate in all circumstances.

2.4 All hot take-away food is liable at the reduced rate irrespective of the rate which would apply if it were supplied otherwise (but see paragraph 4.1).

2.5 Vending machine sales of zero-rated food and drink are liable at the reduced rate. Food and drink other than zero-rated food and drink sold by means of a vending machine are taxable at the appropriate rates e.g. cakes the reduced rate, confectionary the standard rate.

2.6 Zero-rated food and drink remains free of VAT so long as it is not supplied by means of a vending machine or in the course of operating any of the specified classes of business (see paragraph 2.1 above).

2.7 Cold take-away food and drink supplied by supermarkets, etc. are taxable at the zero, reduced or standard rate, as appropriate (see paragraph 4.1).

From here:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/food-and-drink.html

I'm not sure as the pizza was sold uncooked but you consumed it on the premises cooked.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

This has nothing to do with vat and everything to do with charging for a service. Would you buy a loaf of bread and a packet of ham and ask the deli to make you up a sambo for no extra charge?

Here's one. Does anyone go into Spar, buy a frozen pizza, and then get them to cook it?............

I would have thought not.
    Years back I worked in a Texaco station that had an O Briens deli in it, on a Sunday the Deli was closed, I suppose if someone asked me to microwave a Pizza for them I would have but there was no seating in the service station so it was a tad different.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Just as a matter of interest do they make pizzas in there as well?
    I know some Spars do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

:D

Pull up a chair sweetheart, is the booth seating comfy enough? Will i stir your tea? Here, you look a little low on sugar, fancy a digestive biscuit with you tea, sure i made a pot, youre as well to help yourself to a cup. Youre clearly special and paying is only for those "customer types"

Ive never heard of such a practice. If such a practice exists there should be a standard charge of "€X" per pizza across the board in all Spar shops so that people are aware of it and it's standard.

The manager did a good job, in so far as he didint refuse you on the spot, didint charge you extra at the time, and clearly didint laugh you out of it!! (I might not have restrained myself so well)

Stay in business = profit. How can one cook a "buy for home" pizza and allow you to eat in on the premises and make a profit? Enlighten us as to why you think he is out of order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

If anyone is out of order it's you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I agree they should charge but surely they either have a policy to charge or they don't, cant just do it when it pleases them.

They don't have a policy for it because it's not a common thing. First time i've ever heard of it.

Although I do go to extra vision, rent a movie and ask them to put it on there in the shop to watch it (not really, because doing something like that would be weird wouldn't it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Corholio wrote: »
    cant just do it when it pleases them.

Of course they can, they own the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Saw it advertised in the Spar on Middle Abbey Street - yesterday. DId strike me as strange! Especially when they have a hot food counter!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

Wow, I've never heard of someone doing that before! Bit cheeky, no? I think he's well within his rights to charge you a bit more since you're using his electricity to cook it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

This thread has to be a joke, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

al28283 wrote: »
    They don't have a policy for it because it's not a common thing. First time i've ever heard of it.

Although I do go to extra vision, rent a movie and ask them to put it on there in the shop to watch it (not really, because doing something like that would be weird wouldn't it?)

The difference is xtra vision definitely wouldnt do it, this store did it for this customer, so either they tell him next time they dont do it anymore or they keep doing it!

As for doing what they want cos they own the place, surely the store knows whats things it does and dosent do.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Corholio wrote: »
    As for doing what they want cos they own the place, surely the store knows whats things it does and dosent do.

They can decide to do it for him one day because they are not busy or just because they feel like it and the following day , like the manager decided, they dont want to anymore. Thats their choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Of course you should pay extra.
    Actually seriously, wtf! .
    I'm gonna go to a restaurant and ask for uncooked food and see do I get it for free.
    Get tae fook and do not pass go.

Last comment was what I'd expect from restaurant and not what I mean to say to op

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Would you be upset if someone asked to use your toilet but also demanded you wipe their ar$e for them aswell ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This thread has to be a joke, surely?

Of course it's a joke. The OP never even came back to respond to anyone. I have just come here from After Hours and there is some nonsense there but this one is up there with the best of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I purchased steak of my local butcher yesterday. I wonder if I call him will he call and cook it for me foc..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - let's treat this as a genuine question.

OP - you are consuming their electricity, space and staff time. So yes, they are entitled to charge you for the privilege. In fact, I am amazed that you were allowed to do it for free before.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Balls of steel OP
    You're a cheeky sod for even asking :P

I'm going to buy a steak in my butchers and ask the restaurant to cook it for me.
    I'll pay for the breadrolls but I'm not paying for the steak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Well you're all wrong. I had a nice frozen cheese pizza in a Dublin 1, Spar today and they cooked it at no extra charge. It was a different Spar to the last place though so that other manager wasn't there.

Well you're all wrong. I had a nice frozen cheese pizza in a Dublin 1, Spar today and they cooked it at no extra charge. It was a different Spar to the last place though so that other manager wasn't there.

We're not wrong, you should be charged extra

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

This is the best ''issue'' iv seen in a while!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Who said you'd never be charged? You asked if you should be expected to pay for it, and you should be. Just because you weren't charged doesn't change that

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement