Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travel buddy to australia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

This is what i applied for and when it came to the payment it said it cost 420 dollers https://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/417.aspx

cheers mate sure il do it and see how i get on if i can save 40 beans il be delighted :P

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Anthony1993

ya shur see what it says when you get to the payment stage

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Still contemplating going but don't have the balls to actually do it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

You should do it. It's an awesome experience. I recommend to anyone thinking of coming out here to get out of the cities and work somewhere rural, see the real aus..

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gem19

Hi sideways wht area r u in hw lo g r u out there its a big step abd I knw everyone had to take ot wen travelling out there im hearing mixed reviews abt work etc

• Advertisement

Slideways wrote: »
    You should do it. It's an awesome experience. I recommend to anyone thinking of coming out here to get out of the cities and work somewhere rural, see the real aus..

I agree sideways but none of my friends are interested and I'm too afraid to go on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kate07

Im the same, Id love to go and see what its like, im trying to build up the courage to go on my own...but deep down i think im too much of a coward! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

I came here on my WHV on my own. You'll not be on your own for long if you don't wish to be.

Hostels are great places to meet new friends

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gem19

I think were all in the same position vt if u dnt taje the plunge u will never know wht its like it is abig stepbt ive been speaking to alot of people and thy say hostels are great way of meeting people ao we might all meet each other over n oz some time;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I'll be going to Sydney in July for a few months - used to meeting people from online when i travel; always have a good laugh. So hope to do that again. Also hope to travel around a bit but depends on work commitments. Really looking forward to it now.

• Advertisement

I've made the plunge flights are booked for the 15th of October stopping in Dubai and kuala lumpur for 5 nights each and arriving in Melbourne on the 25th
    any advice on hostels there that we should stay in job opportunities etc please let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Phil UGC

I've made the plunge flights are booked for the 15th of October stopping in Dubai and kuala lumpur for 5 nights each and arriving in Melbourne on the 25th
    any advice on hostels there that we should stay in job opportunities etc please let me know :)

Have you thought about which part of Melbourne you want to stay in? The two most popular areas for backpackers are St Kilda & the CBD.

St Kilda: beachside suburb, lots of bars, cafes etc.

CBD: lots to do and easy to get around to work locations as public transport mainly originates from the CBD (apart from buses).

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

Hey,

I'm just back from Melbourne after a few days visiting the city. (I'm based in QLD normally).

If you're thinking the CBD for somewhere to stay hostelwise, check out Urban Central. Breakfast is included in the price (granted it is only toast and cereal, but it saves having to fork out for a meal). I went on my own and it was easy enough meet and chat to other people, once you make the effort. You never know, it may lead to job opportunities.

Hope that helps! :)

Hey,

I'm just back from Melbourne after a few days visiting the city. (I'm based in QLD normally).

If you're thinking the CBD for somewhere to stay hostelwise, check out Urban Central. Breakfast is included in the price (granted it is only toast and cereal, but it saves having to fork out for a meal). I went on my own and it was easy enough meet and chat to other people, once you make the effort. You never know, it may lead to job opportunities.

Hope that helps! :)

Hey

good to hear whats weather like there at the min ?

nice city yes? How have you been since you left, have you found work ?

Have you been travelling around?

Hey

good to hear whats weather like there at the min ?

nice city yes? How have you been since you left, have you found work ?

Have you been travelling around?

Its winter at the moment, so the weather is changeable in Melbourne, but overall it was cold and windy (around 11-14c), raining on occasion. A bit like home in October/November I thought but not as damp. However, having said that, Monday and Tuesday were glorious for winter time.

I don't know what summer is like in Melbourne but from chatting to others, its meant to be glorious.
    Amazing city, theres much more to do than Brisbane and in my opinion, much more pleasant than Sydney, though both cities have their own merits. Its very cultural, great vibes, people are helpful and friendly enough and it has a larger Irish community than Brisbane. (St Kilda's in particular).

Drive the Great Ocean Road, best thing I've done since I came to Oz. If you love history, art, theatre, sports, going out etc, Melbourne is for you.

I'm six months here in Oz but I'm not your typical backpacker, as I came out for a specific internship and spent the first four months working in an office in Brisbane, so I might not be best fit to answer any questions on job hunting in Melbourne.

However, I can tell you that Brisbane is a tough market at the moment. You really have to spend alot of time walking the streets and trawling through job sites. Thankfully I found something but it really does depend on which city/area you end up in and what time of year you arrive.

Seeing as you're arriving in October, you'll arriving just before summer kicks off. Schools and unis will be on summer hols from around late November I think so you may have to compete with students, depending on what roles you're looking for.

Check out other discussions in the Australia forum and I'm sure you'll find something/someone who can give you more specific Melbourne advice.

In regards to travelling, I have done so gradually, spending 4-5 days in both Sydney and Melbourne, checking out Brisbane and the surrounding areas, like the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast. Hopefully I may get to the Northern Territory/NZ before I go home at the end of the year.

If you want to know anything else, ask away. I found this forum was such a help prior to arriving.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

2ndbestleftfull.... Have you prior exp in any roles or a degree or anything? Plenty of jobs in Melbourne but I suggest you know what you wanna do in terms of travel first before job hunting. You wanna go to oz for year and leave or rather sponsorship? I've friends working in recruitment. I can get you a customer service job if you've any exp in that area.

Urban Central definitely the hostel to go too. Spotless and friendly. Good bar full of ppl every nyt too.

Hope this helps

dave3004 wrote: »
    2ndbestleftfull.... Have you prior exp in any roles or a degree or anything? Plenty of jobs in Melbourne but I suggest you know what you wanna do in terms of travel first before job hunting. You wanna go to oz for year and leave or rather sponsorship? I've friends working in recruitment. I can get you a customer service job if you've any exp in that area.

Urban Central definitely the hostel to go too. Spotless and friendly. Good bar full of ppl every nyt too.

Hope this helps

Pity I didn't know about you a few weeks ago Dave! :P

Hope this helps

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply!

Ideally id like to work for 6 months and travel north towards Sydney!

However if there was an opportunity of sponsorship if grab it with both hands no questions asked. Great to hear there is many job opportunities i currently work in a very customer service focused role for a large multi national company in Dublin (over 3 years) so if there was something in that area i'd love it!
    What is the salary like for these kind of jobs ?

Im just also worried about the initial setup the 2-4 week period with no job and no apartment it worries me a little but the excitment is overpowering that

Excuse the typos im writing this from my phone at 05:18 as i make the long trek to Dublin for work which i wont be home until after 7 this evening another reason i am leaving the country thr commute is just not doable anymore

Looking forward to hearing from you

Michael

Hope this helps

Also forgot to mention im a huge sports fan of everything basically and if i was to land a job id be looking for the 4th and 5th of November off as the melbourne cup is on and it would be a dream to go too!

Probably not the best thing to say to an employer though !but we can see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seanc619619

What's the craic everyone??? First time posting in here, Thinking of heading to Oz in the next few months, it's looking like I'm gonna go on my own and was just wondering is anyone else going traveling on there own and need a travel buddy?? Not to sure which part im going to yet, Maybe Sydney or Melbourne, anyone heading to those parts?? Gonna try and do the fruit picking or Farming and get it out of the way. Anyways if anyone has any tips etc of where to go and stay etc im all ears, Love traveling and have being putting this off for long enough now, hoping to hear from someone,

Cheers,

Sean :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Also forgot to mention im a huge sports fan of everything basically and if i was to land a job id be looking for the 4th and 5th of November off as the melbourne cup is on and it would be a dream to go too!

Probably not the best thing to say to an employer though !but we can see what happens

Melbourne Cup is Public Holiday in Melbourne & most of Victoria unless they have their own racing holiday

Melbourne Cup is Public Holiday in Melbourne & most of Victoria unless they have their own racing holiday

Cool, good to know although if I was lucky to get a jb straight away and have to work for it i wouldn't mind !

Preparation is going ok so far, I need to start thinking about setting up a bank account and tax file number. I have a friend in Melbourne so I can use his address for whatever needs to be delivered.

Should I arrnage a sim card for my phone before I go out or just go in to one of the shops?

Also with regards to the bank account I know they say you need a copy of the amount thats listed to show at the airport can this be in your irish bank account or does it have to be the Australian one?

How long do you think we should book a hostel for when we arrive, given time to setup look for a job etc?

I really don't want to depend on my friend as I think he just has a 1 bedroom apartment.

In that case is there anyone here that has a double room to rent in Melbourne close to the CBD or event 15-30 minutes away.

Thanks
    Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Preparation is going ok so far, I need to start thinking about setting up a bank account and tax file number. I have a friend in Melbourne so I can use his address for whatever needs to be delivered.

Should I arrnage a sim card for my phone before I go out or just go in to one of the shops?

Also with regards to the bank account I know they say you need a copy of the amount thats listed to show at the airport can this be in your irish bank account or does it have to be the Australian one?

How long do you think we should book a hostel for when we arrive, given time to setup look for a job etc?

I really don't want to depend on my friend as I think he just has a 1 bedroom apartment.

In that case is there anyone here that has a double room to rent in Melbourne close to the CBD or event 15-30 minutes away.

Thanks
    Michael

Tax file number is done online. It gets sent to your email address and posted out to you. Once you have the number thats all thats important to an employer. If you don't have it you get charged something like 48% tax until you get your TFN. It's easy to do once you get here.

Bank account is the same. Have an address you can use and walk in with passport and ID etc. I set mine up with Commonwealth Bank when I got here and it was easy. No stress at all.

Print out a statement before you leave with your savings listed. If they do ask you, show them that or have a screenshot on your phone or be able to access your online banking to prove your funds. It's no big deal. IT doesn't matter if it's Irish or Australian. I didn't show anybody anything when I entered. You dil out a declaration when you enter stating how much you have. You'd be unlucky to get asked to show it I think.

Sim cards are $2 in shops here. There are phone shops at the airports (Optus, Telstra, Vodafone etc...) so you can do that when you arrive.

Book a hostel for a minimum of 3-5 nights. Gives you time to adjust to timezone, jet lag, find your feet and start getting it together. If you need to, just book a few more nights if they have space available. If not, the next hostel isn't too far away.
    I've heard of people staying in hostels for months at a time even after they find work. It's cheaper than renting sometimes, no commitments, they enjoy the lifestyle of new people all the time etc... so a hostel isn't the worst place to be for a while if you thats what you need to do.

If you don't want to put your friend out too much, see if you can just use his place during the day as somewhere to go to use internet, relax, make some food and stay at the hostel during the evenings and nights if his place is too small.

pete4130 wrote: »
    Tax file number is done online. It gets sent to your email address and posted out to you. Once you have the number thats all thats important to an employer. If you don't have it you get charged something like 48% tax until you get your TFN. It's easy to do once you get here.

Bank account is the same. Have an address you can use and walk in with passport and ID etc. I set mine up with Commonwealth Bank when I got here and it was easy. No stress at all.

Print out a statement before you leave with your savings listed. If they do ask you, show them that or have a screenshot on your phone or be able to access your online banking to prove your funds. It's no big deal. IT doesn't matter if it's Irish or Australian. I didn't show anybody anything when I entered. You dil out a declaration when you enter stating how much you have. You'd be unlucky to get asked to show it I think.

Sim cards are $2 in shops here. There are phone shops at the airports (Optus, Telstra, Vodafone etc...) so you can do that when you arrive.

Book a hostel for a minimum of 3-5 nights. Gives you time to adjust to timezone, jet lag, find your feet and start getting it together. If you need to, just book a few more nights if they have space available. If not, the next hostel isn't too far away.
    I've heard of people staying in hostels for months at a time even after they find work. It's cheaper than renting sometimes, no commitments, they enjoy the lifestyle of new people all the time etc... so a hostel isn't the worst place to be for a while if you thats what you need to do.

If you don't want to put your friend out too much, see if you can just use his place during the day as somewhere to go to use internet, relax, make some food and stay at the hostel during the evenings and nights if his place is too small.

Hi Pete,

Thank you for all the info, very informative and I will definetely be taking it on board. I think it's just myself worrying about all the little things but it will just fall in to place, can you reccomend any central hostels?

Not a bad idea regards renting a hostel and using my friends place during the day, what can we expect to pay if we share a double room (couple) in an apartment $300-350 a week?

Heading to Melbourne in September with another friend as boardsie.

Anyone know the best places to live there? Want to be in close proximity to the beach and no more than 45 mins from Melbourne itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

If anyone here wants to meet for a pint somewhere around Sydney CBD tonight or tomorrow let me know here or PM. Could even be an unofficial Boards meetup! Would be nice to meet some Irish people or people on Boards from anywhere really.

I'm new to Sydney myself but enjoying it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 emma1919

If anyone here wants to meet for a pint somewhere around Sydney CBD tonight or tomorrow let me know here or PM. Could even be an unofficial Boards meetup! Would be nice to meet some Irish people or people on Boards from anywhere really.

I'm new to Sydney myself but enjoying it so far!

Hey! I'm heading to Sydney in December, by myself and was just wondering how you found settling in?! I'm a bit nervous that i'll find it difficult to make friends initially! Any tips or words of wisdom before I head over?!

What's the craic everyone??? First time posting in here, Thinking of heading to Oz in the next few months, it's looking like I'm gonna go on my own and was just wondering is anyone else going traveling on there own and need a travel buddy?? Not to sure which part im going to yet, Maybe Sydney or Melbourne, anyone heading to those parts?? Gonna try and do the fruit picking or Farming and get it out of the way. Anyways if anyone has any tips etc of where to go and stay etc im all ears, Love traveling and have being putting this off for long enough now, hoping to hear from someone,

Cheers,

Hey Sean, I'm heading to Sydney in Dec, also going by myself! I think i'm going to leave the fruit Hoping to set up base in Sydney for a while! When do you plan on going over?

• Advertisement

Cheers,

Hey Sean, I'm heading to Sydney in Dec, also going by myself! I think i'm going to leave the fruit picking until the end of my first year and then do some travelling. Hoping to set up base in Sydney for a while! When do you plan on going over?

Advertisement