Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travel buddy to australia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jbpc

Heading over to Perth on Feb 15th with a mate, hopefully see ya's all for a pint once we get over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Anyone arriving in Sydney?
    I got here 2 days ago. PM if anyone else is going here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

hi everyone ,i stumbled across this thread and had a little read through it ... was in oz in 96 and 02 ..
    for what its worth mind your money bigtime until your earning.. if u run out ure living on favours and that adds tension all round .

perth i found was quieter than syd or melb.. but the travelling north of perth is breathtaking..

syd is lively but really soaks up the cash.. melb is more laid back..

you gotta get out of the cities to experience oz.. wages might be less but you dont spend as much either.
    by far my best times were out in rural oz or travelling on the road havin a look around but then im a country guy..

most of all im jealous as hell of u all headin out ... have a great time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

hi everyone ,i stumbled across this thread and had a little read through it ... was in oz in 96 and 02 ..
    for what its worth mind your money bigtime until your earning.. if u run out ure living on favours and that adds tension all round .

perth i found was quieter than syd or melb.. but the travelling north of perth is breathtaking..

syd is lively but really soaks up the cash.. melb is more laid back..

you gotta get out of the cities to experience oz.. wages might be less but you dont spend as much either.
    by far my best times were out in rural oz or travelling on the road havin a look around but then im a country guy..

most of all im jealous as hell of u all headin out ... have a great time.
    Nice to see a realistic point of view from someone who has been there done that! Cheers for sharing your advice !

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Best option for work? My son is hoping to head to Australia when he finishes college this summer. We've heard stories of amazing money to be made in the mines and I wonder if anyone knows if this type of work is still available? He would hope to work really hard for a couple of months and then maybe head to one of the cities to look for more regular type work. Any advice much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Russian Blue

Hi, I am thinking of going to Australia. I would love to but I am absolutly terrified too. Its one big country and to go over on your own - very very scary!

So I would like some one to go over with.

I have nothing booked yet as I have no real plans yet. I would go over no problem if I had a job to walk into. But I don't, so its even more scarier. No work and not knowing anyone.

Anyway i'm thinking maybe August or September if anyone is interested in going over together.

I forgot to add that I am interested in going to Sydney or Melbourne. Im female and 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭peterc1991

I'm going to Australia sometime in the next few months(April/May).

Just wondering about money wise.I wont be going over there with $5000 or anything but will have maybe 2000. I have a lot of family over there and will have accommodation for as long as i need(until i get work and set up etc).So i don't need to pay accomodation.

Will the $2000 get me through the first while over there until i find work?

Also, was going to go with a friend but possibly could be going on my own.Bit nervous and thinking I probably should just leave it if I end up on my own but should I just go for it? I mean has anyone you know went over on their own and enjoyed it or got on well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

peterc1991 wrote: »
    I'm going to Australia sometime in the next few months(April/May).

Just wondering about money wise.I wont be going over there with $5000 or anything but will have maybe 2000. I have a lot of family over there and will have accommodation for as long as i need(until i get work and set up etc).So i don't need to pay accomodation.

Will the $2000 get me through the first while over there until i find work?

Also, was going to go with a friend but possibly could be going on my own.Bit nervous and thinking I probably should just leave it if I end up on my own but should I just go for it? I mean has anyone you know went over on their own and enjoyed it or got on well?

Hate to be blunt but even with free accommodation sorted, I wouldn't be going over to Australia with less than $5000, $2000 is nowhere near enough imo. Australia by all accounts I've heard is very expensive and that money will disappear in no time ( I'm not there yet but I'm going in just over 3 weeks. )

Then there is the possibility of being stopped at the airport to prove how much you have with you. I know most people say that they never ask but do you really want to run the risk?

Do you yourself a favor and spend an extra couple of months saving up so that you don't have to worry so much when you get over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sparklyEyes111

Hi, I am thinking of going to Australia. I would love to but I am absolutly terrified too. Its one big country and to go over on your own - very very scary!

So I would like some one to go over with.

I have nothing booked yet as I have no real plans yet. I would go over no problem if I had a job to walk into. But I don't, so its even more scarier. No work and not knowing anyone.

Anyway i'm thinking maybe August or September if anyone is interested in going over together.

I forgot to add that I am interested in going to Sydney or Melbourne. Im female and 30.

I should be going in August/Sep to Sydney! :) I'm also going on my own though I know some people there, but most will have left by that time. I'm also a little worried as I'm leaving full time work here, and have no work lined up once I get there. . Don't even know will I get casual work with my degree but I'm going to try and am hoping they'll be lots available!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Annag15

Hi Natalie, are you still thinking about going to Oz or are you here already ?!

• Advertisement

Hey, I'm just wondering if anyone is going to Oz in August time by themselves, or with a gang? Especially anyone aiming to move to Sydney then?! I'm heading around that time I think, currently abroad at the moment but looking for something new but noone seems to want to leave here and come with me. PM me thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 VVVinoVeritas

Hey Guys!! 23 year old kildare girl here, hopefully heading over to oz in early june (fingers crossed into the final stages of an interview process for a great job) Also heading over on my own, have moved abroad before and loved it- but not so far so would love a travel buddy! Anybody going over around this time and is interested, give me a shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 NJR

Hi,
    I am heading over to Australia mid October and unlike most folk here i am just going on a 6 month holiday visa (i missed the age limit for the 1 year visa by 6 months :() Travelling alone which i was really nervous about but once i started researching and reading forums like this i see it is pretty common so i have now moved on to excitement mode!! :). Due to not being able to work, i have to fit in everything i want to see within 3 months or so (getting the 6 month visa as a precaution in case i just can't leave the sunshine and resort to living in a cardboard box :D). Have gave it a little thought and here is what i am thinking....

Fly to Perth and stay for up to 5 days.
    Backpack up west coast to exmouth and return to perth (8 days)
    Fly to Cairns
    Backpack down the East Coast taking in Great Barrier Reef, Whitsundays, Fraser Island, Brisbane, Byron Bay
    Stoppver in Sydney for a week
    Fly to Melbourne and do the Great Ocean Rd
    Fly to NZ and back pack north and south island for 3 weeks
    Fly back to Sydney or Perth for Christmas and New Year
    Fly to Thailand - south islands for 2 weeks
    Home to Dublin

If anybody has similar plans and are looking for company, PM me! Likewise, if anybody can offer some tips or advice (have i left out any "must sees" etc), pls send them my way :D

Thanks a mil
    Paula

Anyone going to Sydney in August??! Someone here has to be surely?!? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 VVVinoVeritas

Hey Sparkly Eyes - I'm off to Sydney end of july / start of august!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 spyzer

heading to kununurra june - july if anyone is up for going

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mcbeardo

Thinking about doing the yr in oz aswell, 30 now so last chance really. Would be great to meet someone in same boat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Russian Blue

mcbeardo wrote: »
    Thinking about doing the yr in oz aswell, 30 now so last chance really. Would be great to meet someone in same boat!

Hey, im also thinking of the year in oz. I've got the WHV booked. Just need to book flights. If I dont get work here or the UK within the next month, il be definately going to oz. Thinking about going in August or September. Im also 30, so getting old.

Ok cool, im yet to book the visa. How long did it take you to get? Where are you from/living? Are u m or f? Im from Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭AverageJoe82

Im heading to oz, not sure what part, and more than likely I will be heading over in November, I'm 31

• Advertisement

Cool, do you have your visa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭AverageJoe82

ya ive my visa sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Deyaz

Hey,
    I, m20, will travel to Hong Kong on 07th September for a few days, then to Bali. After that I will arrive in Sydney on 29th September 2013. I have an approx route and want to stay in OZ for nearly 1 year. Anyone wanna join? PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

My advice to all you young ladies and gents considering going to Australia - DO NOT BUY A SINGLE TICKET!!

Buy a return, you have no idea what will happen when you land. You might steam through your money, lose your job...whatever. It is important to have that return ticket in your back pocket, unless Mumsie and Dadsie are loaded and will pay your way home if you f**k up over there.

What you save buying a single now could be your biggest regret a fe wmonths donw the line. Australia is a long way away, its not like getting bus from London home, its a big deal.

Anyone going to sydney in August?! I know there has to be someone here that is!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cmc013

Hi, My name is Ciarán. I am 26 and I plan on going to Australia around late September on a Working Holiday Visa. I would like to travel around first and then get a job. Going on my own as all my mates have either already done the Oz thing or are never going to go.

It would be cool to find someone with similar plans before going, don't mind someone either male or female as long as we can meet up beforehand to make sure we'll get along.

Sure shoot me a PM or message on here if your in the same boat.
    Ciarán

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jamesoc85

Hi all, I'm James 27 and thinking of heading to Australia in early October. I'm looking for someone to travel with as none of my friends are up for it.. I'm easy going and always up for a good time I'm looking to work and travel. Anyone interested send me a PM!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭amg-slurp

Hi all,

Alan. 28 year old guy from Meath, heading to Perth in first week of November. Anyone heading around then, or already in, or going to Perth let me know.

Have mates here already, all settled, PRs, houses, relationships etc...so some other "friends" or travel buddies would be good to have!

Looking to get into motor trade when I'm there but may end up doing my regional work early on to give myself more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 itchyfeet2013

Hey all...

my friend is home in Oct for 3 weeks headin back to Sydney around the 4th of Nov on her 2nd year visa.

Ive decided im gonna go with her this time as I passed up the opportunity last year due to being in a long term relationship. Its all over now so if I dont go now I never will. Im 26, female.

Im nervous as she is basically settled over there and im giving up my job here to up and leave.
    Would love to jump straight into regional/farming as soon as I got there but need some company.

Is anyone heading around that time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭amg-slurp

Hey all...

my friend is home in Oct for 3 weeks headin back to Sydney around the 4th of Nov on her 2nd year visa.

Ive decided im gonna go with her this time as I passed up the opportunity last year due to being in a long term relationship. Its all over now so if I dont go now I never will. Im 26, female.

Im nervous as she is basically settled over there and im giving up my job here to up and leave.
    Would love to jump straight into regional/farming as soon as I got there but need some company.

Is anyone heading around that time?

Heading to Perth myself (see post above), a few days after your heading.
    I'm in a similar position, leaving decent job here, going to be living near two my best mates who are both married or due to get married soon. Well settled there. But I have no mortgage, no kids, no gf, so why not go now and try something different! I want to go, so il regret not trying it at least :)

Advertisement