Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travel buddy to australia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 itchyfeet2013

hey..

are u all booked and ready to go??

hav u found anyone to go wit u yet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Russian Blue

I posted here a couple of weeks ago. I didnt have anything booked as I was hoping someone might decide to go with me.

Anyway, I have got the flights booked and going to Sydney at the end of September. The time wont be long going, another 6 weeks! My plan is to work first and then travel a bit. If anyone is going the same time, give me a shout. Its really scary going on your own. It'll be nice to go with someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 suzi999

Hi guys. I'm a 20 year old female from Waterford and hope to fly to Melbourne at the beginning of October :) I just finished college so I'm looking to see if anyone else is flying around that time too. Be nice to travel over with someone else, even if we go our separate ways when we get there, just so it's less scary! Pm me if interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

Heading to Thailand in December and Oz in Jan, anyone else going around this time

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Hey, heading to Kununurra on November 7th, im male, 26, meant to start working in a hotel in the area before I do some farming work, if anyone ends up in that area give us a shout! Hope to be heading down towards Melbourne at some stage at the start of next year once I have a good amount of money behind me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 ShortieCake

Hi there,

Couldn't help seeing that you're heading to Kununurra. I did my farm work there in the dry season. There was very very limited work. A lot of people hoping to do farm work didn't get it and ended up hanging around for months running out of money. Get something already lined up before you get there or it could be a complete waste of time and money. The area is very remote too with a big aboriginal community. The hotel is nice though. Stay in Kimberly Croc lodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Hi there,

Couldn't help seeing that you're heading to Kununurra. I did my farm work there in the dry season. There was very very limited work. A lot of people hoping to do farm work didn't get it and ended up hanging around for months running out of money. Get something already lined up before you get there or it could be a complete waste of time and money. The area is very remote too with a big aboriginal community. The hotel is nice though. Stay in Kimberly Croc lodge.

Hey! Have work sorted for when I get their, landing on Saturday the 9th of Nov and starting work in a hotel their on the Wednesday, the brother currently works their and has sorted me out, just need to do the RSA cert thing when I get their! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Musicaddict1

Hi guys, I'm Matthew, 25 from Wicklow. I'm a first time poster to boards.ie

I'm wanting to head over to Oz either in Nov, Dec or Jan to search for work. But I don't want to go on my own. I'm looking for someone to go over with and to share the experience with. I've got my WHV and I'm ready to book flights.

I would like to start out in Sydney and take it from there. I also want to do the 3 months fruit picking in order to get the 2nd WHV.

If anyone is in a similar situation to me and is thinking of heading over around these times, let me know. PM me or post on here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

I'm wanting to head over to Oz either in Nov, Dec or Jan to search for work. But I don't want to go on my own. I'm looking for someone to go over with and to share the experience with. I've got my WHV and I'm ready to book flights.

I would like to start out in Sydney and take it from there. I also want to do the 3 months fruit picking in order to get the 2nd WHV.

If anyone is in a similar situation to me and is thinking of heading over around these times, let me know. PM me or post on here :)

If you can make friends with a random stranger from Boards why not make friends with new people when you get to Oz?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

LaHaine wrote: »
    If you can make friends with a random stranger from Boards why not make friends with new people when you get to Oz?

Good point! But then again I think to some people just having a friend to actually travel with makes them feel more comfortable and safe. Personally I would be most afraid of flying all that time alone

• Advertisement

LaHaine wrote: »
    QueenBee1 wrote: »
    Good point! But then again I think to some people just having a friend to actually travel with makes them feel more comfortable and safe. Personally I would be most afraid of flying all that time alone

Basically I feel that having another Irish person join me in the search for work out there would make the trip a lot less daunting. Having that guarantee of knowing that I would be there with someone who is in the same boat as me would give me great comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Basically I feel that having another Irish person join me in the search for work out there would make the trip a lot less daunting. Having that guarantee of knowing that I would be there with someone who is in the same boat as me would give me great comfort.

Each to their own. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

I can completely understand this I would feel the same way. Best of luck in finding a travel buddy I hope you find someone and best of luck on your travels :)

My daughter and her boyfriend heading to Perth on November 6th. They are both 21.

I'm wondering if anyone here is looking for people to house share with. They are hoping to find somewhere between city centre and the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

Hi all!

Really glad to see so many people take the plunge on their own. Although I am travelling to Brisbane alone and staying with family temporarily, I do want to branch out as soon as I can.

If anyone is heading to Brisbane around Feb 2014 and beyond, let me know, would love to mutually help a fellow Irishman/Irishwoman out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

Hey i'll be arriving in Sydney on the 11th Jan :) Going over to a friend but want to meet more Irish people to possibly travel around with.

EDIT: After receiving some very good advice on here by other posters, I'm now looking to go in the 1st week of February 2014. I still want to start in Sydney, spend a week or two there and then head off to do the 3 months fruit picking. If anyone's planning to go around this time, please get in touch. PM me or post on here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

EDIT: After receiving some very good advice on here by other posters, I'm now looking to go in the 1st week of February 2014. I still want to start in Sydney, spend a week or two there and then head off to do the 3 months fruit picking. If anyone's planning to go around this time, please get in touch. PM me or post on here :)

Best of luck, let me know if you pass through Brisbane. Newbie to Oz from early next year myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AdamOC

Hey Guys, Adam here from Tipperary im 18 and thinking about travelling to brisbane for a while its my first time heading their, so im a bit nervous was thinking about heading in around the end of june in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 airyfairy123

Hey Peeps, Flying to Melbourne on the 9th of Jan from Dublin, so If anyones flying that day pm me :) Be a little less daunting to have someone for company for the journey, anyone heading to Melbourne let me know, its always easier when people stick together :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭comfortseeker

anyone thinking about going April/ May time? Let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭HelpImAlive

I'm thinking of heading over July 2014 when I've enough saved.. Must try and sort my visa etc out now, too sick of Ireland at this stage. Any one else thinking of heading over around then? 20 here!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

Hi all

Myself and the GF heading late sept early october fromt he midlands anyone around that time let me know!
    ideas open where to actually go!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JohnG.

Hi all
    Also thinking of taking the plunge and heading to oz on my own in March. Planning on going to Melbourne and trying to get work as soon as I arrive to save and do some traveling. :) is there anyone else heading that direction would like to meet some Irish that would make the move a little less daunting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Anthony1993

Im 20 bit younger than ye and would like a travel buddy under 25 or around my own age, passport is being renewed and then ill apply for visa and stuff, id like a buddy to make it less nervous and easier to go

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭McGeezerr

Im 20 bit younger than ye and would like a travel buddy under 25 or around my own age, passport is being renewed and then ill apply for visa and stuff, id like a buddy to make it less nervous and easier to go

Im on the same boat turning 21 in June would like to make tracks for Oz in July there abouts. Need employment first to save though which I cannot seem to get :(

McGeezerr wrote: »
    Im on the same boat turning 21 in June would like to make tracks for Oz in July there abouts. Need employment first to save though which I cannot seem to get :(

Ya im 21 in september, I dont know when im going yet, id like to have more than the 3400 (5000 dollers) going over, i just want to have everything sorted before i go over.

Am depending where you are in the country some places you would get work, the likes of dealz, and super values and those types of places, itd be ****ty work but your getting paid for it, im sure your parents will help you out aswel. theres ****ty jobs out there, jsut if u want to do them

Ya im 21 in september, I dont know when im going yet, id like to have more than the 3400 (5000 dollers) going over, i just want to have everything sorted before i go over.

Am depending where you are in the country some places you would get work, the likes of dealz, and super values and those types of places, itd be ****ty work but your getting paid for it, im sure your parents will help you out aswel. theres ****ty jobs out there, jsut if u want to do them

Yeah I would be the same I wanna go to Thailand for a few weeks before but I think I'm dreaming :P

Nah trust me I've been trying everyday since the start of January literally applied the the bones of 200 positions and got one ****ty interview with Gloria Jeans:mad:

Ya i know ppl that have wanted to go to thailand, but they ended up going to OZ for like 9 or 10 months and then travel to thailand and came back to OZ then. Ah jases thats ****e, theres surley work somewhere, hopefully this wont be the case in OZ

• Advertisement

Ya i know ppl that have wanted to go to thailand, but they ended up going to OZ for like 9 or 10 months and then travel to thailand and came back to OZ then. Ah jases thats ****e, theres surley work somewhere, hopefully this wont be the case in OZ

Yeah few of my friends are going over in July for a month.

I know luckily I already have a couple of prospects, gonna apply for the visa at the end of the week I say.

Advertisement