Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travel buddy to australia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Anthony1993

A month haha very short time, but still atleast youd know people over there for a bit, ah well thats good, if ya have a good CV you should get work in any country. Ya im applying for mine once i get my passport back. I dont know when im going yet but if im around we can go on the same date or what ever, or if im there before ya we could meet up till we get settled and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭McGeezerr

A month haha very short time, but still atleast youd know people over there for a bit, ah well thats good, if ya have a good CV you should get work in any country. Ya im applying for mine once i get my passport back. I dont know when im going yet but if im around we can go on the same date or what ever, or if im there before ya we could meet up till we get settled and stuff

Yup the more the merrier I've noticed alot of people taking the plunge on their own lately so it can't be all that bad :)

ya alot of people are, the hardest thing is knowing where to meet people, thats the hardest thing, everything else falls into place

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Anyone ever used Meetup.com? I'm thinking an 'Irish in Melbourne' group would do well, open to everyone of course but a great way for Irish to connect in Melbourne at least..

Anyone ever used Meetup.com? I'm thinking an 'Irish in Melbourne' group would do well, open to everyone of course but a great way for Irish to connect in Melbourne at least..

Ya that does sound like a good idea, atleast it wouldd be handy to go over and have people to meet up with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 erikaboxer

hey guys! 24yr old girl from Wicklow here
    hoping to go over to Melbourne or Brisbane (cant decide) in June
    anyone else heading over the same time?

-also if anyone has info on which destination is best to get some fruit picking done asap.....

cheers

erikaboxer wrote: »

-also if anyone has info on which destination is best to get some fruit picking done asap.....

cheers

Hi i hope to go over in may or June, Im 20 yo guy from clare. Im on the exact same boat as you, I want to get the regional work done asap so i get it done out of the way, I was thinking of going to Brisbane, as its closer to quennsland for the reional work, and youd be going in winter so itd be raining in melbourne.

Hi i hope to go over in may or June, Im 20 yo guy from clare. Im on the exact same boat as you, I want to get the regional work done asap so i get it done out of the way, I was thinking of going to Brisbane, as its closer to quennsland for the reional work, and youd be going in winter so itd be raining in melbourne.

ah good point regarding the weather! im sick of the rain here and same story when I went to Canada I was living in Vancouver which is similarly wet haha. main reason I was thinking Melbourne is cos a friend from Canada is over there about 6 months but she's really just arsing around and isn't interested in the 2nd year. plus I've heard Tasmania can be a good spot for fruit picking during their summer months, but overall I would be more inclined to head to Brisbane area too

I haven't got the visa yet, going to sort that out during the week. was going to avoid usit cos I know theyre fond of money but the promo theyre doing right now seems a pretty good deal - return flights, insurance and the visa for 1200. and if they do the free first flight change like they did for Canada visa I may go with them

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭McGeezerr

cheers

I'm on the same boat also, have my visa but not enough funds atm. Plan on getting over for July there abouts. I have contact for a farmer in Gatton which is about an hour outside Brisbane for the regional and it's not meant to be slave labour either.

ah good point regarding the weather! im sick of the rain here and same story when I went to Canada I was living in Vancouver which is similarly wet haha. main reason I was thinking Melbourne is cos a friend from Canada is over there about 6 months but she's really just arsing around and isn't interested in the 2nd year. plus I've heard Tasmania can be a good spot for fruit picking during their summer months, but overall I would be more inclined to head to Brisbane area too

I haven't got the visa yet, going to sort that out during the week. was going to avoid usit cos I know theyre fond of money but the promo theyre doing right now seems a pretty good deal - return flights, insurance and the visa for 1200. and if they do the free first flight change like they did for Canada visa I may go with them

Ya id be more into going to a city, and going to a agency to help me with regional work and also getting there, I dont mean to sound smart but would u bother getting return flights if you dont know when youd be coming back, but the visa is 280 on its own, so im just doing the visa and then doing the bank account and tfn when i get over to OZ and save my moneys

• Advertisement

Ya id be more into going to a city, and going to a agency to help me with regional work and also getting there, I dont mean to sound smart but would u bother getting return flights if you dont know when youd be coming back, but the visa is 280 on its own, so im just doing the visa and then doing the bank account and tfn when i get over to OZ and save my moneys

I see what youre sayin but I know from goin to Canada that a one way flight is almost as expensive as a return, sometimes more. so i'd be more inclined to pay for a return and then if usit does do the first change free that's great and if not it would cost in the region of 150 to change it so that's still cheaper than 2 separate flights I think. of course if depends on funds at the time aswell I suppose.

think usit are supposed to call me this afternoon so i'll see what the story is. i'd have gone to Oz already but I have to be in Ireland 6 months before I can get travel insurance from here and im only back 5 right now

I plan to go for the year, come back and then go again

yeah i'd defo be goin to the city first alright
    also seems to be that people recommend having a car to get to certain farms easier but again its a question of money and buying a super cheap car isn't always the best, my bro did that in Canada and its cost him way more in the long run

McGeezerr wrote: »
    I'm on the same boat also, have my visa but not enough funds atm. Plan on getting over for July there abouts. I have contact for a farmer in Gatton which is about an hour outside Brisbane for the regional and it's not meant to be slave labour either.

sweet :)
    from lookin around online I think im pretty settled on flying to Brisbane and going from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

I see what youre sayin but I know from goin to Canada that a one way flight is almost as expensive as a return, sometimes more. so i'd be more inclined to pay for a return and then if usit does do the first change free that's great and if not it would cost in the region of 150 to change it so that's still cheaper than 2 separate flights I think. of course if depends on funds at the time aswell I suppose.

think usit are supposed to call me this afternoon so i'll see what the story is. i'd have gone to Oz already but I have to be in Ireland 6 months before I can get travel insurance from here and im only back 5 right now

I plan to go for the year, come back and then go again

yeah i'd defo be goin to the city first alright
    also seems to be that people recommend having a car to get to certain farms easier but again its a question of money and buying a super cheap car isn't always the best, my bro did that in Canada and its cost him way more in the long run

Ah yeah i get ya, oh ya **** i must look up some travel insurance. know any cheap places?? ya my uncle had a car when he went they cost around 1 to 2000 dollers for a ****ty one. Youd probally need a full licence aswel, i dont have one so im stuck to busses and trains, there is alot of hostels that you can stay in and they provide the busses to get you to your farm work. Getting paid varys on farms, i think on some farms the more fruit you pick the more you get paid. I was looking up this crowd they seem good and are in brisbane and help u with hostels and stuff http://www.2ndyearvisajobs.com/

Ah yeah i get ya, oh ya **** i must look up some travel insurance. know any cheap places?? ya my uncle had a car when he went they cost around 1 to 2000 dollers for a ****ty one. Youd probally need a full licence aswel, i dont have one so im stuck to busses and trains, there is alot of hostels that you can stay in and they provide the busses to get you to your farm work. Getting paid varys on farms, i think on some farms the more fruit you pick the more you get paid. I was looking up this crowd they seem good and are in brisbane and help u with hostels and stuff http://www.2ndyearvisajobs.com/

cheers for the link, looks like a very helpful website :)

i just did a quick search on multitrip.com, think it told me 139 or thereabouts, which sounds right. i did my 2nd yr in canada right after the first so couldnt get insurance here so it cost me a small fortune from worldnomads online

im going with usit. getting their basic package for 459 (visa and insurance - i looked up cost of visa and it said 310 so 459 is actually pretty dead on for those two things) and flights are 836 (theyre currently having a sale til friday apparently, but this price is the same as the cheapest ones i found on ebookers. so im going with usit for the first year like i did with canada.
    if you look on their website they dont actually have the promo deal pr starter deal but what im paying isnt much more than the promo anyway

i could get a car but to be honest i think gettin a place in a hostel that provides the transport is best bet. if i come away from first year with a bit more than i went with, which would be the plan, i may get one for the 2nd year.

are you just tryin to save and then decide when to go?
    im fairly lucky i had a full time job while in canada and got a christmas job when i got back here plus i'll be gettin my tax return from canada in a few weeks so i'll be set. im flying out 9th june - with malaysian airlines - dublin amsterdam kuala lumpur brisbane.

just have to email back the visa application to usit, they said it should take less than 2 weeks. im shocked at how straightforward it is, canada requires everything and the kitchen sink!

SO EXCITED!!!!

* also with usit they dont do the first flight change free as thats only with british airways who they dont use for australia, but it will cost only 150 to change it with malaysian airlines and that includes changing the route so if i wanted to come home via melbourne or wherever i could.

and i can get the insurance no problem cos i'll have been here more than 6 months before i leave :)

and its probably a given, but stay away from the packages with usit where you get the bank account and tax file number and sim card, as these are free to get yourself and theyll more than likely give you a sim card thats goin to cost you the most money when you actually use it.

also, their 'sale prices' are only til 28th feb and are only for like off-peak i suppose; now til end of june and oct/nov

think im done with all my info for now haha

and its probably a given, but stay away from the packages with usit where you get the bank account and tax file number and sim card, as these are free to get yourself and theyll more than likely give you a sim card thats goin to cost you the most money when you actually use it.

also, their 'sale prices' are only til 28th feb and are only for like off-peak i suppose; now til end of june and oct/nov

think im done with all my info for now haha

ok jeepers thats alot to reply too haha, but ya i think im just going to get the visa on its own as someone on this said they did it last week and it was 280 and he got it in 6 hours. And insurance ill get myself. i hope to go in may or june not sure yet, go to brisbane for a week and get my tfn and all that sorted and then do my regional work, id probally stay for 2 years if i did decide too, not sure yet,. I was looking at flights, dublin to hethrow to kuala lumper to brisbane for like 700 or so but i havnt looked at flights properally yet. The hole thing confuses me haha, i dont want to land in brisbane at night id like to get there during the day

ok jeepers thats alot to reply too haha, but ya i think im just going to get the visa on its own as someone on this said they did it last week and it was 280 and he got it in 6 hours. And insurance ill get myself. i hope to go in may or june not sure yet, go to brisbane for a week and get my tfn and all that sorted and then do my regional work, id probally stay for 2 years if i did decide too, not sure yet,. I was looking at flights, dublin to hethrow to kuala lumper to brisbane for like 700 or so but i havnt looked at flights properally yet. The hole thing confuses me haha, i dont want to land in brisbane at night id like to get there during the day

haha loads of info, it does get confusing! but ive done Canada twice, and the application process is a lot more and can take up to 3 months to get the visa!

is that 700 for a one way flight? that is pretty good, especially if you don't plan to come back in between the 2 years, whereas I do so it makes sense for me. I might even break it up and do new Zealand in between, anything to stay out of Ireland as long as possible!

I think I am landing in birsbane at night, 7.50pm or something, leaving dublin 6am the day before! its not ideal, youre right there. I remember landing in Vancouver at night, cant get your bearings til the next day, just jump in a taxi and get to the hostel

I hope it takes 6 hours and not 2 weeks! not that im in a rush but would be nice to know I have it. should have no problems, they don't need much info anyway

ya i think my way is going to be get the visa, then decide when im going to go, and decide what hostel to stay in, then ill look at flights il also do my tfn and bank acc before i go,. ya it is,but i cant see anything about luggage, which website did you use to check your flights? Im sure you have a few after going to canada.Ah yes i hope to travel all around australia if i have the money!! ya cause if ur landing at night you could be going into a full dorm room and waking everyone haha, or what way did your hostel work in canada??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

Hi anthony,

where did your friend get the visa for 280? was it through the Australian government website ?

Hi anthony,

where did your friend get the visa for 280? was it through the Australian government website ?

It was just someone on this, he commented on one of my threads, ya through the australian government

It was just someone on this, he commented on one of my threads, ya through the australian government

Cool thanks will be getting it done next month !not travelling til october though !

ill be doing mine this week so ill tell you what it costs, im going over in may/june

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gem19

anthoy ur private msg never cme thru

gem19 wrote: »
    anthoy ur private msg never cme thru

Ahhh dam gem sorry, i will reply there in a little while,

€310 for a visa on the Australian government website !!seems the right price :):)

The visa is 271 euro 420 dollers, i just applied

The visa is 271 euro 420 dollers, i just applied
    can you send me the link for that price? cheapest i can see is 310?

• Advertisement

This is what i applied for and when it came to the payment it said it cost 420 dollers https://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/417.aspx

Advertisement