Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairs advice

Options
  • 04-02-2012 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I got the grandfathers old shotgun out of the attic where it has been sitting unfired for 30 odd years with a view to repairing it.

I want to know what chemicals can be used to remove rust and strip all the crap off the metal furniture and what success have people had with the "blue in a bottle stuff" i am looking to get this thing looking smart cheaply!

the gun is a Neumann Bros double hammer and it very well used/abused. At some point the stock had been split through the pistol grip and was held together by what i am sure is fencing wire, the screws on the fore-end have also stripped the wood so that is held together by tape, but these are not my stumbling points.

I have it taken apart and will sort out the stock and the foregrip as per my original goals. but i am thinking now that i would like to get it all nice and shiny again!

I should also mention that it is de-activated (my father got wind that the "new licence" would be 10 pages long and €80 a year) :D:D:D:D it was too late before i got to him, he had the barrels drilled beneath foregrip and firing pins drilled out, i just want to tidy it up and have it as a nice paperweight/ heirloom. i actually shudder to think about how many nice pieces could have met a similar end.

Also one of the problems was that the ejectors were bent and had been removed in order to close the gun, could i replace this part or does it need to stay off now its de-activated? if not does anyone know where i'd get one handy?

Photos below for your amusement:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19/img1180v.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/img1170yg.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/710/img1171fb.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/710/img1172sc.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/46/img1175my.jpg/

again lads and ladies, any chemicals or methods ye have had success with any advice or tips other than; chuck it in the bin!
    all greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Eo1n8wrd

I just spent 40 minutes writing that, now i realise its in the wrong section!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Naval jelly will strip it to white metal.
    You can then reblue it, question is a hot blue or cold blue?
    Cold blue comes in a bottle, you paint it on leave for a few mins than was off.
    You then buff and repeat till it looks nice.
    Hot blue is a more complicated process that involve lye and other such stuff, look it up online, theres a few articles

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭palo

Hello Eo1.

Honestly I dont think it looks that bad as it is afterall it was your Grandfathers and to shine it up too much would only take from it I would say light emery paper and gun oil. and wrap another bit of fence wire around the stock of it and hang it on the wall.

the photos don't show the rust :D it was some effort to get the screws out without stripping the heads.
    Definately going to repair the stock and foregrip though, i'll look into that naval fluid stuff but i doubt i will go down the hot blue road.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

want to know what chemicals can be used to remove rust and strip all the crap off the metal furniture and what success have people had with the "blue in a bottle stuff" i am looking to get this thing looking smart cheaply!

Alright Lets stop right there!!There is no such thing as as getting "a gun smart cheaply".Cheap is "the blue in the bottle stuff" AKA cold gun blue.
    It sounds easy to do,and cheap,but is a running disaster if it goes wrong.
    Not to mind a totally naff way of destroying a proably intresting piece of history.Contray to what alot of people think alot of old guns were not blued either,they were browned!So what you might think is rust is actually a brown finish under a patina of rust.So think twice before you fire up the ol wire rust removing wheel.
    Also did you do some research as to who Neumann Bros were??
    The history of the gun might be more important than its looks,and the surest way to ,if it is valueable,i'm not saying it is...Is to butcher its value with new finishes and trying to tidy it up cheaply.

the gun is a Neumann Bros double hammer and it very well used/abused. At some point the stock had been split through the pistol grip and was held together by what i am sure is fencing wire, the screws on the fore-end have also stripped the wood so that is held together by tape, but these are not my stumbling points.

Looks like your Gramps decided to hammer in a few fence posts on the way home with it!:eek::D:D.Fixing the wood stock is a major challange to do that right.
    I have it taken apart and will sort out the stock and the foregrip as per my original goals. but i am thinking now that i would like to get it all nice and shiny again!

Dont try to get it back to like new factory finish.You wiill only destroy its chacter.:eek:

Also one of the problems was that the ejectors were bent and had been removed in order to close the gun, could i replace this part or does it need to stay off now its de-activated? if not does anyone know where i'd get one handy?

Meh!! If its a deact I wouldnt be too worried about them.:P

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

I did a bit of looking alright, the hallmarks on the barrels put it to early 1920's, they were a belgian manufacturer churning out cheap'n'cheerful shotguns, they did some nice examples with good engraving and damascus barrels but the basic model i have would make less than 100 for a mint example.
    Just was a waste in my opinion to have it sitting in the attic.

It's not completely rust, just spots and pitting which i would like to tidy up, the stock should not be too hectic as its a fairly clean split and they mate together nicely, planned on running a stainless threaded bar into the end stock following the angle of the grip and up into the broken piece, with a short vertical pin beside it, i have some epoxy to finish it that was recommended to me by a knife-maker, good for a tonne i think off the top of my head, should ram a few fence posts home!

Advertisement