Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What size tank do i need?

Options
  • 05-02-2012 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭

for a cornsnake, at the moment it's 2.5 feet long

How long do they grow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

darokane wrote: »
    for a cornsnake, at the moment it's 2.5 feet long

How long do they grow?

http://www.facebook.com/groups/168383266599837/

join their on facebook , plenty of info ,

what type setup do you have , how old is the snake ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

autocann - please stop posting up links to facebook groups, if you want you can put their link in your sig to direct people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

star-pants wrote: »
    autocann - please stop posting up links to facebook groups, if you want you can put their link in your sig to direct people there.

will do but reason i post it is , their is not many people that respond to these questions , about reptiles ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

That's fair enough but people come here to get advice, not necessarily re-directed, and it's frowned upon for posters to keep re-directing people to the one place whether it be their own site or someone elses'

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Dutchology

a 36" x 18" x 18" wooden vivarium would be perfect. You would set that up with a heat lamp on the ceiling of one side of the tank, covered with a guard to prevent burns and on a thermostat to prevent overheating. Ideal substrate in my opinion would be Repti Bark, which allows for burrowing and to maintain humidity.

Your snake will most likely grow to around 4-5 foot depending on the morph, over the years. Corns have been known to reach 6 foot, but in general, they're not a big, stocky snake. Corns have great temperaments.

Frozen, defrosted (thoroughly) mice should be fed. Your snake at that size should be fit for small adult mice, which should be fed at the rate of one every 7-10 days.

All of the above is based on a number of years experience of keeping & also breeding them. They're a very rewarding and easy to keep animal once the right conditions are attained.

Emerald Isle Reptiles is a shop based up North that does online selling. They are the cheapest you'll find including delivery for a full setup including the tank, thermostat (dimming thermostat for a reflector bulb, I recommend the Microclimate over the Habistat), guard and anything else you might need. Tony is very helpful and can explain the equipment you need to you and put together a package for you.

If you Google for Irish Reptile forums, there are 3 of them floating around, the links have been posted here in other reptile related threads, I run one of them myself. There are lots of experienced keepers of reptiles there.

If there's anything else you need to know, don't hesitate to shout.

• Advertisement
Advertisement