Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats the most embarassing fright you ever got

• 05-02-2012 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Half an hour ago- after a few drinks my hubby went to the chipper down the road, i was happy to stay at home with my bottle of beer rather than walk down in the cold

Suddenly i heard a thump upstairs and then what sounded like someone walking across the landing.

So i went to the bottom of the stairs and suddently a voice boomed out- I tore out the front door and stayed out there till my hubby came back from chipper

Turns out our cat had gotten into the top of the wardrobe and knocked some shoes (hence the thump) dragged a runner across the landing into spare room- then jumped into other wardrobe and landed on a bob the builder toy(i had put away from my nephews birthday next week.) and set the thing off

So im ****n scarlet and my husband laughing his hole off me . The shame!!!

whats the most embarassing fright you ever got??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Can we fix it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I was in hospital with a heart problem. What must the neighbours have thought?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Oh classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I was having a smoke out the back of my parents house last week, it was dark and I was sitting on a bench, a gust of wind blew and right in front of me a leaf was blowing along the ground quite fast towards me, honestly thought it was a rat and it was trying to get me, jumped up and started to run away until I realised. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

IN a plane - shouted at the pilot that we were going to crash into another aircraft right in front of us, freaked the sh!t out of him and myself - It turned out to be a bastardin seagull. Got some slaggin i did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Whilst having an evaluation in work with my supervisor, one of my colleagues suddenly appeared in front of the glass partition and mooned me before running off.

I was taking a sip of water at the time, so ended up snorting water all out my nose and farting loudly at the same time.

Supervisor looked at me as if I was a complete and utter whackjob. I could have died right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Was walking towards a glass panelled door to open it, caught sight of my own reflection. Thought there was some guy who looked like me about to open it from the other side and jumped a mile, much to the bemusement of everyone watching :o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Suddenly i heard a thump upstairs and then what sounded like someone walking across the landing.

Sounds like you need to cut back on the cats food portions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Half an hour ago- after a few drinks my hubby went to the chipper down the road, i was happy to stay at home with my bottle of beer rather than walk down in the cold

So i went to the bottom of the stairs and suddently a voice boomed out- I tore out the front door and stayed out there till my hubby came back from chipper

Turns out our cat had gotten into the top of the wardrobe and knocked some shoes (hence the thump) dragged a runner across the landing into spare room- then jumped into other wardrobe and landed on a bob the builder toy(i had put away from my nephews birthday next week.) and set the thing off

Very similar - I was minding the neighbour's kids one night when she had to pop out unexpectedly to collect her husband - she was only going to be gone 10 minutes or so. The kids were in bed, so I went and sat in the sitting room. Was there a few minutes, watching the news iirc when suddenly this really deep man's voice said from the dining room "Time to say goodbye". I yelped, ran up the stairs, grabbed the poor kids out of bed, and locked the 3 us in the bathroom, furiously ringing the last dialled number (which happened to be the neighbour. Her husband rang a few other neighbours and the guards, and when they got home there was a posse carefully sneaking into the house while she sat outside with some others talking to me on the phone.

Turned out the kids had been playing with some fecking talking teddy bear thing, and after a certain period of inactivity, it said goodbye and turned itself off, but in a really sinister, deep, man's voice.

Thankfully they figured it out before the guards turned up, but there was a huge amount of mocking. I'd told the kids we were playing a game, so they went back to sleep eventually without too much hassle. They moved away some time later - I wonder if, when they're older, they'll be telling some psychiatrist about the mad lady next door who used play "let's hide in the bathroom" games.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PHIDIAS

Myself and my sister walked into a sports shop a few years ago, and they had loads of threadmills on display, so i decided to try one out and some smart arse had set it on high speed so when i switched it on it sent me flying half way across the store. Was dying laughing on the floor as was my sister and pretty much everyone in the place.. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Thoie wrote: »
    Very similar - I was minding the neighbour's kids one night when she had to pop out unexpectedly to collect her husband - she was only going to be gone 10 minutes or so. The kids were in bed, so I went and sat in the sitting room. Was there a few minutes, watching the news iirc when suddenly this really deep man's voice said from the dining room "Time to say goodbye". I yelped, ran up the stairs, grabbed the poor kids out of bed, and locked the 3 us in the bathroom, furiously ringing the last dialled number (which happened to be the neighbour. Her husband rang a few other neighbours and the guards, and when they got home there was a posse carefully sneaking into the house while she sat outside with some others talking to me on the phone.

Turned out the kids had been playing with some fecking talking teddy bear thing, and after a certain period of inactivity, it said goodbye and turned itself off, but in a really sinister, deep, man's voice.

Thankfully they figured it out before the guards turned up, but there was a huge amount of mocking. I'd told the kids we were playing a game, so they went back to sleep eventually without too much hassle. They moved away some time later - I wonder if, when they're older, they'll be telling some psychiatrist about the mad lady next door who used play "let's hide in the bathroom" games.

ha :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

I was dropping a dvd back to xtra-vision one night and for some reason thought the glass door was automatic, well not even the PUSH sticker gave it away, so i smack into the feckin door head first!

I got the biggest shock, thought someone had just punched me!

Considered legging it then realised i would look like a complete nutter, so walked in and pegged it over the counter, not been back since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Whilst living at a previous location, I had a set of my neighbours house keys in case her alarm went off in her absence, something she always flagged in advance. One morning, 10amish, I was alone in my own house, taking a shower when her alarm activated and stopped some 30 seconds or so later.............this was followed by banging and a second quick blast of the alarm then more banging:eek::eek: Out of the shower, paying very little attention to drying myself off and checked for her car.....not there, the banging continued intermittently and I thought "Time for the boys in blue!"

Called the cop shop which was round the corner and told them whoever it was was still in the house, hastily pulled on jeans and a t-shirt and waited at my front door for the cops who arrived within 3 mins, lights but no sirens........very quickly told them there was still the odd sound from her back bedroom, had I looked in the window they asked?? No, I was afraid..........so both headed down my back garden for a look..........."Yup, definetly someone in there" they agreed but with little urgency and no movement, It'll be alright they said, How I asked?? Well, very few housebreakers ever wallpaper the back room before they leave they tittered.....but thanks for calling love....queue a very embarassed Pandora2 but it got even worse when they left and I realised that the light Summer T-shirt I pulled on was both wet and transparent leaving nothing to the imagination, I thought those guys were very happy in their work!!!:D:o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

walkin down the road one day and just glanced into a shop window and caught my reflection, MY GOD, am i that good lookin:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

You were obviously wearing that mask from your avatar eh??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Whilst living at a previous location, I had a set of my neighbours house keys in case her alarm went off in her absence, something she always flagged in advance. One morning, 10amish, I was alone in my own house, taking a shower when her alarm activated and stopped some 30 seconds or so later.............this was followed by banging and a second quick blast of the alarm then more banging:eek::eek: Out of the shower, paying very little attention to drying myself off and checked for her car.....not there, the banging continued intermittently and I thought "Time for the boys in blue!"

Called the cop shop which was round the corner and told them whoever it was was still in the house, hastily pulled on jeans and a t-shirt and waited at my front door for the cops who arrived within 3 mins, lights but no sirens........very quickly told them there was still the odd sound from her back bedroom, had I looked in the window they asked?? No, I was afraid..........so both headed down my back garden for a look..........."Yup, definetly someone in there" they agreed but with little urgency and no movement, It'll be alright they said, How I asked?? Well, very few housebreakers ever wallpaper the back room before they leave they tittered.....but thanks for calling love....queue a very embarassed Pandora2 but it got even worse when they left and I realised that the light Summer T-shirt I pulled on was both wet and transparent leaving nothing to the imagination, I thought those guys were very happy in their work!!!:D:o:o:o

Pics or GTFO?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Any excuse to post this clip.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    thought the glass door was automatic, well not even the PUSH sticker gave it away, so i smack into the feckin door head first!!

lol my sister had a similarish thing last week(except she made a show of herself)

She had a dinner party that she was late for and i was in the car with her- and she stopped off at a well known (posh) wine shop, shes in no way posh but you dont scrimp on wine at a dinner party (apparantly :D)

so she goes to the door at it wont open- she keeps pushing and it wont open- she looks at the opening hours and shes an hour before closing so she starts banging on the door giving out. A poor bemusud man from inside then PUSHES the door from his side - the door says pull not push and she didnt see it.

Even thought she begged me to go in i refused and she came out scarlet:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

When i was younger i went to the cinema to see some harmless flick, Van Helsing, so was like a 12 reting movie or maybe even pg.....so anyway there we a sitting and at some stage this big bang occurs in the movie and compleately caught me off gaurd and i do this mad jump and was like ****, i never jump in movies ......and there she was sittin perfectly still not a bother in the world looking at me like what the hell? i was literally the only person in the whole entire place that jumped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Kevwoody wrote: »
    I was dropping a dvd back to xtra-vision one night and for some reason thought the glass door was automatic, well not even the PUSH sticker gave it away, so i smack into the feckin door head first!

I got the biggest shock, thought someone had just punched me!

Considered legging it then realised i would look like a complete nutter, so walked in and pegged it over the counter, not been back since!

If it's any consolation it's probably not as bad as this:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Myself and the wife are watching a dvd on the couch enjoying a nice bottle of wine - for some reason, she has one of her hairbands in her hand. About halfway through the movie she accidently flicks the hairband straight up in the air. I don't notice this, but the hairband travels upwards a few feet and then lands directly on top of my head.

For some inexplicable reason in the split second it takes for my brain to register that something has landed on my head, I'm convinced that a large spider has just dropped onto me.

I jump up (I may have emitted a girly scream at this point) spill my full glass of wine all over myself, the wife and the couch in my panic to remove the 'spider'.

Needless to say, when I see the hairband I feel like an idiot.

Wife still reminds me of this incident 5 years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I Am Legend scared the holy hell out of me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Worked as a waiter in a pizzeria many years ago, when I first came to Dublin from Belfast. One evening, I heard a loud bang and dropped the plates in my hand and dived under the nearest table, fearing a bomb had gone off nearby.

Actually something had blown up in the kitchen, but I felt like a fecking moron clambering out from between some oul one's legs when it became evident that the roof and windows weren't coming in around me. The fact that the entire restaurant was staring at me baffled didn't help either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I was dipping a biscuit into my coffee in the canteen in work, it completely fell in and I screamed like Ned Flanders.

Everyone looked around and there was me fishing it out of my coffee.

Suas11 wrote: »
    Pics or GTFO?

Cannot recreate that!! I was 2 months pregnant and the Boob Fairy had been;) It was a chilly Summer's morning and I was 20 something years younger:D These day's they'd lock me up for wasting police time!!!

Worked as a waiter in a pizzeria many years ago, when I first came to Dublin from Belfast. One evening, I heard a loud bang and dropped the plates in my hand and dived under the nearest table, fearing a bomb had gone off nearby.

Actually something had blown up in the kitchen, but I felt like a fecking moron clambering out from between some oul one's legs when it became evident that the roof and windows weren't coming in around me. The fact that the entire restaurant was staring at me baffled didn't help either.

Know what you mean!! Worked in the Europa for 18 months in the 80's....when I moved to Edinburgh, I used to get some very funny looks from door security in shops when I offered them a look at my open handbag on entering the shop. And once, in my last job, someone jokingly said "Sniper on the roof!", I was on the floor before they stopped talking:eek: About 20 colleagues fell about the place, I was mortified!!!!:o:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It happened a few years ago. I was going to the toilet in the middle of the night, around 3AM or 4AM and on my way back to bed, a shadow caught my eye at the bottom of the stairs.
    It looked like a person all in black crouched down so I shouted "Who the fùck is there?!" trying to sound threatening but the shadowy figure didn't move. I was at the top of the stairs, fists clenched and raised and in just my jocks ready to fight. A few seconds later, I realised I was shouting at a big black plastic bag full of clothes that my mother had left there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Oldest excuse in the book, buddy. You don't have to justify your fetish.

Dan133269 wrote: »
    Oldest excuse in the book, buddy. You don't have to justify your fetish.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

.... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

When I was about 22 or so I was in Disneyland or something with my family. None of the others were brave enough to go into this "Van Helsing" ghost-house thing, except myself and my older bro.

Barely 20 feet inside the door, a "statue" of a mummy in a wall alcove jumped out and although he probably shouted "boo" or something; my scream (Ned Flanders style) drowned out all other noise in the whole place.

The "mummy" was nearly bent over double with laughter...

:(

I checked and this is AH and I thought I would provide an Artist's Impression ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I was walking home through Dublin late one night when I passed a load of lads who were just standing around. As I passed them, they started walking after me - I was suddenly on full alert. I was keeping track of where they were by looking at their shadows on the ground - I suddenly saw one of the shadows dart towards me and reflexively kinda curled up into a ball on the street. When I turned around the lads were about 50 feet away with expressions of :confused:

yeah that was pretty embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

tbh wrote: »
    I suddenly saw one of the shadows dart towards me and reflexively kinda curled up into a ball on the street.

Are you a hedgehog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Seachmall wrote: »
    Are you a hedgehog?

no, a chicken

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

When younger I got hung over a bridge dangling by my feet by a bunch of older kids, I wet myself with the fright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Very traumatic grown up in Belfast at that time I'd say.

I have a friend whose mother, as a young girl, saw people shot down from a car in front of her while she was walking to school.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

tbh wrote: »
    I was walking home through Dublin late one night when I passed a load of lads who were just standing around. As I passed them, they started walking after me - I was suddenly on full alert. I was keeping track of where they were by looking at their shadows on the ground - I suddenly saw one of the shadows dart towards me and reflexively kinda curled up into a ball on the street. When I turned around the lads were about 50 feet away with expressions of :confused:

yeah that was pretty embarrassing.

Sindri wrote: »
    Very traumatic grown up in Belfast at that time I'd say.

I have a friend whose mother, as a young girl, saw people shot down from a car in front of her while she was walking to school.:(

Yeah, I can relate to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

:confused:

I'm joking about you being between an old woman's legs ;)

• Advertisement

Sykk wrote: »
    .... :o

yep thats pretty much what i looked like

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

Was in a water park on holiday once and was carrying a tray of food and drinks to the my family's table. A large hornet landed on my wrist and I panicked at the sight of it. I threw the tray one way and ran off screaming like a demented madman in the other direction. Everybody stared at me in disbelief, really embarrassing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

posted earlier, jesus this one covers a lot of bases actually! i was fairly shít shocked, but embarrassed about the whole thing at the same time. i just wanted to get on my way.
    xsiborg wrote: »
    myself i was involved in an accident years ago while out cycling my bike, i attempted to cross a four lane road on a dark night wearing no visibility gear, and failing to look left before i attempted to cross- my own fault basically.

i got hit by an oncoming car in the first lane. i wasnt badly injured but the driver was badly shook up. i made sure she was ok before retrieving my bicycle from underneath her car. she continued on her way.

slightly dazed and confused by the experience, i didnt have my wits about me when i hopped back up on my bike and went to carry on into the second lane. whereupon i was hit by a second oncoming car that didnt see me. this time the driver reversed back a bit off my bicycle, put the car in gear, and sped off in haste. i got up off the road and retrieved my bicycle, yet again, only this time it was in bits.

this time rather than attempt to get up on my mangled at this stage bicycle, i checked the next two lanes before i crossed the road safely, whereupon there were two young girls who had witnessed what had just happened, only one of them was lying on the ground, whereas her friend was frozen with shock. i asked the girl was her friend ok, her friend was unable to speak so i checked the unconscious girl's vital signs and deduced she must have just fainted.

i called 999 for an ambulance for the girl (back then i had a solid brick of an 088 phone that hadnt been damaged in either collision) and waited til they arrived. the paramedic didnt know where to look as i wasnt looking in great shape myself, yet trying to explain to him that it was for the girl that had fainted (who was by now sitting up, as i had told her not to try standing) that i called the ambulance.

i was quite embarrassed by the whole incident.

for those who are wondering- in Portlaoise there is a four laneway road called James Fintan Lawlor Avenue, which is quite a steep hill, you can go in along by the wall inside the shopping centre that leads down to the car park, and then come out onto the road through a small gap in the wall, to cross the road near the blue overhead bridge, to the street across from that to get to the main street in Portlaoise. that is where this incident happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

xsiborg wrote: »
    posted earlier, jesus this one covers a lot of bases actually! i was fairly shít shocked, but embarrassed about the whole thing at the same time. i just wanted to get on my way.

Yeah - Every post I go into this has been posted. A good one tho :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Was at a gig with a friend a few years back (Cake in Vicar St :D). He went off to the loo, and was gone longer than I expected so I thought I'd have a wee look around for him. The fecker was standing, and had been for about 5 minutes, silently, about half an inch behind my right ear. Gave me some jump, he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

I was watching the movie The Crying Game, got quiet aroused watching 'her' turned out to be a him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Last summer I walked into our front living room to play my guitar. Was greeted by a bird that obviously flew in through the open window and was trapped inside. It scared the bajesus outta me and I ran out of the room screaming like a girl. Proud moment for my father having to get rid of it himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Brought a girl to Fota Wildlife Park and while we were walking around it I spotted a large Ostrich egg about 30 meters from where the Ostrich was standing and about 20 meters from the fence - it looked like it had been rejected by the bird. I decided I wanted this interesting egg and it would have the added effect of impressing my date.

So I deftly leap the fence and scarper up the incline to poach the prize. As I was bending over to pick up the egg I heard my fair female cry 'WATCH OUT!'. I looked up to see what the danger was and there was a bloody great Ostrich staring angrily at me as if to say 'you touch that egg and I smash your skull with my beak'.

So I let out a little scream and turn tail and legged it back towards the fence not knowing if the angry bird was chasing me. When I got to the fence it was much higher from my side seeing as a dry moat was dug around the inside of the fence. I leap onto the fence and manage to get myself tangled in it eventually wriggling out of it and landing on my arse on the other side. My date was laughing her head off at what happened. I was glad that only my pride was injured as opposed to my skull.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

... in the bad snow in Dublin last winter I was standing in a small snow drift next to a traffic light, waiting for the green man. There was maybe three or four people around me waiting to cross the road, when, SUDDENLY, there's this CRACK and THE GROUND FALLS OUT FROM UNDER ME.

I let out a HUGE scream and everyone turned around.

... to see me standing upright, perfectly still, and somewhere between awkward and still terrified.

Under the snow had been a very shallow frozen over puddle, and the ice had cracked under my weight. My feet had fallen about an inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Raditub

once got a fright in university library ..a gentle feather fell on the book infront of me ...i fekkin screamed so loud! Dunno what was wrong with me that day...slightly agitated i guess...hilarious tho hahaha

• Advertisement
Advertisement