Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text language

Options
  • 05-02-2012 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

First of all, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask questions about boards.ie. if its not, could the mods please direct me in the right place.

Now I just wanted to ask. Is boards a "text-language" free zone?

I've seen it written in one of the posts so just wondering.

Also, another thing. I read some stuff about this before so I'm just curious now. Can one post in Irish (as gaeilge) anywhere he/she likes? I saw a mod getting banned because of it before.

Cheers in advance.

And please don't give me an infraction if I'm not meant to post here, as I really didn't know.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

anishboi wrote: »
    First of all, I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask questions about boards.ie. if its not, could the mods please direct me in the right place.

Also, another thing. I read some stuff about this before so I'm just curious now. Can one post in Irish (as gaeilge) anywhere he/she likes? I saw a mod getting banned because of it before.

Cheers in advance.

And please don't give me an infraction if I'm not meant to post here, as I really didn't know.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=98

Have you had a read of this, you will probably get some helpful information here. good luck

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056307178
    Txt speak is mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Absolutely. Text speak makes your eyes bleed, so it is not permitted on the site.

Generally speaking, no. Remember that the vast majority of Boards.ie users are not native Irish speakers and the language of discourse is English. This causes issues both for users and moderators. We recently had a native Irish speaker insult a moderator in Irish, which the moderator had to go an get translated.

However, in some cases, Irish is permitted, as long as an English translation is provided.

Why would we do something like that? :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Tom has answered you adequately enough, but I would just offer one correction to your use of the word "language" to describe text speak. I think somebody using a variation on the spelling of words and calling it a language would be incorrect.

Text speak was initially used because a text message only allowed 160 characters (and still does on some phones), including spaces, so people had to be as resourceful as possible with their spelling, and instead use phonetic spelling, or text speak, to try and squeeze as much information into that tiny 160 character box.

Since there's no limit on the amount you can type into these message boxes, using text speak is frowned upon because moderators have to read all the posts in the forums that they moderate. Trying to decipher txtspk in posts while trying to understand what the user is saying at the same time can be quite difficult - especially for some moderators who don't use text speak, and likely never will.

Take a read of this thread which is quite short, and tells you in 3 easy steps how to have to get the most from this site. If you have a question, it might be already in our Top 10 questions that new boards.ie users, so feel free to explore the site. You're bound to find a few forums that interest you enough to keep you coming back!

If you find yourself stuck on something, just head over to the forum for new boards.ie users and let us know what you're having difficulty with.

Welcome to boards!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

RopeDrink wrote: »
    It's basically either laziness or the misconception that it is 'cool'

Succinct but entirely inaccurate I fear.
    It's a simplification as a result of the character limits on text messages and the like.
    It is not the downfall of a generation.
    People used to do the same with telegrams.
    We have no such restrictions here so txtspk is frowned upon but I don't think mocking those who partake in it is necessarily the best way of stamping it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭anishboi

All questions asked and answered, thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

People using text speak on boards should be taken out the back and stoned to death with can's of alphabet soup.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

What about people who incorrectly use apostrophes? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

They get a night with a supermodel. :D

Oh's is that's so?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Shield wrote: »
    Oh's is that's so?

:pac:
    I see what you did their.
    Your funny. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The grammer in this thread is apauling.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,494 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I seen what you did their.
    Your funny. :)

Corrected that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Your all making a mess of this thread.

Their's no way I am allowing it to continue.

Its such a shame.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement