Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School Meals Programme

• 05-02-2012 1:28am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi, Yesterday one friend of mine told me about School Meals Programme. Her child's school provide sandwiches, milk, vegs and fruits for pupils. I asked another friend and she told me the same about their school. My child is in 5th class of primery school in Leixlip and I never heard such a thing. Does your school participate in the program?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Only ever heard of it in DEIS (disadvantaged schools.)I know of a non-Deis school where a company provide lunches, but at a weekly cost per child.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭cocoa123

Their schools don't seem to be DEIS - Dan Laoghaire, Lucan, Swords. How could you know if your school is DES or not? We live in Leixlip.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?pcategory=17216&ecategory=34279&language=EN

There's an excel here listing home/school liasons, which would have a good no. of the DEIS schools listed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I'm aware of a local authority providing funding for school lunches to a number of schools in an area, maybe its the same case with the school above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

One of the reasons I picked my sons school - a junior school only to first class - was because it a DEIS school. Two schoolfriends of my own teach there and they advised me on it. It is the city centre(good for work), my wee man gets his lunch every day and there are tons activities and clubs at a minimal cost to myself, which is great because although I am manager and have a good wage I am also a single parent with no maintenance. My sons school is so obliging and flexible and aware of our needs. The local primary was just a no no for me.

Good luck in your quest.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭cocoa123

It is not just a local authorities initiative. This program is funded by EU and taxes we are paying including myself. That's why I think all national public schools should benefit from it.
    "Organisation and Funding
    The national roll-out of the Food Dudes Programme is being funded by the Department of Agriculture, Food & the Marine and managed by Bord Bia. It is intended that the programme will be introduced to all primary schools over the next number of years. The programme has the support of the Department of Education & Science.

Ireland is participating in the EU School Fruit Scheme and, from September 2009, the fruit and vegetables provided in the Food Dudes Programme are co-funded by the EU through the School Fruit Scheme."

Food Dudes is only for fruit and veggies is a short term programme. It doesn't cover milk or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

My kids go to a school that is not a DEIS school and they provide free milk and sandwiches to any child who wants it - sometimes my kids take it and others times they dont - I dont think it has to be a DEIS school - I think all schools get funding and its up to them how they spend it. My friend has a child going to a school up the road and nothing is provided - up to each school I suppose.

We certainly don't get funding for lunches!If a child has no lunch they may get some biscuits and milk from the staffroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Absolutely not true that all schools get funding for lunches. I've worked in a few schools and never heard of free lunches in any of them. I've been on Boards of Management so I would have known if money was provided for this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement