Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thomas hearns,Sugar ray leonard v May and Pac

• 05-02-2012 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

2 dominating groups of greats, different eras !

I would personally have hearns beating pacquaio easy enough 6 tf 2 great boxing ability speed and power

I couldn't pick a winner on hearns and floyd. with height an reach advantage v floyd i'de prob give the edge to him. but incredible defence an boxing ability goes to floyd .

leonard v pacman i imagine leonard putting an ass whoopin on him.

leonard v may would be a total super fight and again i couldn't pick a winner !

Opinions ????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

I can't see Pacquiao-Hearns lasting long, Manny loves to give back as good as he gets. Hard to predict this match.

Manny never faced a fighter with Hearns dimensions before while Hearns never fought a fighter with the hand speed of Manny nor a fighter who punches from the angles Manny does. IMO Manny wins 6/7 out of 10 fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Simple: If Manny and Floyd competed in the early 80s they never would have ventured to 147 lbs. Floyd may have tried, but he loses to Hearns and SRL, and it's not all that close either. He may make 12 rds, but he hasn't the size, power, or offense to trouble Hearns and SRL.

Manny would be pulverised vs. SRL, and Hearns has too much height and power too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

pacman would be ko'd by hearns and leonard

floyd would struggle against hearns but i'd give him a chance against leonard

i don't see floyd getting ko'd though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I think Manny gets knocked out by Hearns, too eager to engage, probably within 6-7 rounds. I'd see Sugar Ray stopping him late.

Mayweather gets frustrated and beaten fairly well by both, but not really sure about the KO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Pretty sure Hearns and SRL would beat both, fairly comfortably too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

kryogen wrote: »
    Pretty sure Hearns and SRL would beat both, fairly comfortably too

Nobody beats Mayweather comfortably.

This thread is full of Nostalgia, everyone is always remembered better when there in the past-In 20 years Mayweather will be talked of in the exact same way.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

Mayweather has a serious chance at beating both. Theres no way you can say he gets beaten comfortably. Great point about nostalgia and another reason why I don't like fantasy match ups.

i'd give floyd a very good chance against leonard....floyds defence was much better but leonards attack was a bit better

i agree, nobody is a clear winner against floyd at WW, not even ray robinson....he gives any fighter in history a tough fight or else beats them

By comfortable I would think that SRL and Hearns are never troubled or in danger of losing. Floyd sure will make it tricky, but I dont think he has the necessary combination of size, reach, power to bother these two, who were big and exceptional WW fighters.

I envisage Floyd spending most of his time trying to avoid shots, and being slippy. He commits, opens up, that is when both SRL and Hearmns I feel really trouble him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

Yes but Size , reach and power, while they make some of the main components of how you win a boxing match, they cannot be used as 'clear' indicators of why somebody will win a fight. There are too many variables, especially when it comes to someone like Floyd, such as confidence and the determination to protect his legacy etc that can't be determined. I think he is special.

If you look at (IMO) the undisputed greatest of all time Mohammed Ali and you use Size, reach and power in determining whether or not he wins fights, you will come out with a very different outcome to the one that the majority of the boxing public agrees with.

Just saying, sometimes it's more than physical attributes that wins fights, and more so in the case of the great fighters. I find it annoying that this is often ignored when making fantasy match ups on this MB.

minty16 wrote: »
    Yes but Size , reach and power, while they make some of the main components of how you win a boxing match, they cannot be used as 'clear' indicators of why somebody will win a fight. There are too many variables, especially when it comes to someone like Floyd, such as confidence and the determination to protect his legacy etc that can't be determined. I think he is special.

If you look at (IMO) the undisputed greatest of all time Mohammed Ali and you use Size, reach and power in determining whether or not he wins fights, you will come out with a very different outcome to the one that the majority of the boxing public agrees with.

Just saying, sometimes it's more than physical attributes that wins fights, and more so in the case of the great fighters. I find it annoying that this is often ignored when making fantasy match ups on this MB.

Yes, but Hearns and SRL were not just bigger, they were great fighters. As I said, exceptional WW boxers. I look at all the variables, not just physical, and it's too much IMO for Floyd to pose any decent threat.

One could look at the issues Oscar caused Floyd when they met. And, that was not a particularly great Oscar. SRL and Hearns at WW would have been far more troubling to a 147 lb Floyd. Remember Floyd was 150 lbs on weigh in for that fight.

Floyd to me is an exceptional 130-140 lb fighter. I don't think he's an exceptional WW. I think Hearns and Ray are, and yes, their natural size at the weight is "part" of why they are exceptional, and Floyd's lack of that natural WW size is why he very good.

Floyd with a couple of inches, and more a natural WW, yes, he then becomes a threat.

BTW, I think Hearns is the bigger problem for Floyd. As fast, clearly a harder hitter, wicked reach, 5 inches taller, whip like jab, very good boxing skills. I think Floyd finds him very difficult. I cannot see that being close.

walshb wrote: »
    Yes, but Hearns and SRL were not just bigger, they were great fighters. As I said, exceptional WW boxers. I look at all the variables, not just physical, and it's too much IMO for Floyd to pose any decent threat.

One could look at the issues Oscar caused Floyd when they met. And, that was not a particularly great Oscar.
    SRL and Hearns at WW would have been far more troubling to a 147 lb Floyd. Remember Floyd was 150 lbs on weigh in for that fight.
    ar.
    Floyd to me is an exceptional 130-140 lb fighter. I don't think he's an exceptional WW. I think Hearns and Ray are, and yes, their natural size at the weight is "part" of why they are exceptional, and Floyd's lack of that natural WW size is why he very good.

Floyd with a couple of inches, and more a natural WW, yes, he then becomes a threat.

the oscar v floyd fight was at LMW so it's not relevant when comparing WW v WW

that was floyds first fight at LMW....doesnt prove anything about him being a small WW.......floyd is now a decent size WW....he's grown into the weight

Leonard wasn't a huge WW, he wasn't terribly strong or a huge hitter.....floyd would have a good shot against him.....floyd is technically better and better defensively......floyd has never been beaten by a swarming pressure fighter like leonard has.....floyd does not have any obvious flaws

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

the oscar v floyd fight was at LMW so it's not relevant when comparing WW v WW

that was floyds first fight at LMW....doesnt prove anything about him being a small WW.......floyd is now a decent size WW....he's grown into the weight

Leonard wasn't a huge WW, he wasn't terribly strong or a huge hitter.....floyd would have a good shot against him.....floyd is technically better and better defensively......floyd has never been beaten by a swarming pressure fighter like leonard has.....floyd does not have any obvious flaws

Floyd glaring weakness was when the swarming pressure fighters came to prominence, he was no where to be seen.

Floyd glaring weakness was when the swarming pressure fighters came to prominence, he was no where to be seen.

Ricky Hatton was 43-0 when floyd ko'd him.....hatton was a great pressure fighter

Carlos Hernandez and Jesus Chavez were also excellent pressure fighter and combined they had records of 68-3....floyd beat both

floyd dominated baldomir

corrales was 33-0 when he got demolished in a 50/50 fight

the first castillo fight was close but i had floyd still winning....floyd was injured in the first fight....he well beat castillo in the second one

all above are examples of good pressure fighters

Advertisement