Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blue balls mystery close to being solved

• 05-02-2012 1:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I'd bet I'm not the only one very disappointed by the content of this article based on the headline. (See explanation of blueballs below the Guardian article)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jan/31/blue-balls-mystery-close-solved
    Blue balls mystery close to being solved
    They have provoked much speculation — some serious, many tongue-in-cheek.

But scientists believe they are close to solving the mystery of the blue balls that (apparently) rained down on a garden in Dorset.

Bournemouth resident Steve Hornsby reported how the sky turned dark, then yellow, then blue, transparent, "jelly-like" balls began falling out of the sky during what he thought was a hailstorm.

He wondered if they had dropped out of a plane. Others thought they may have been eggs from a marine animal, possibly dropped by a bird. Some of the more fanciful suggestions were that they might be the bodily secretions of angels while others began to prepare for an alien invasion.

A jar of the objects was taken to the school of applied sciences at Bournemouth University, which provided an initial analysis on Tuesday.

Research assistant Josie Pegg said: "Speculation on the nature of the mystery jelly balls has provided much entertainment, but now that we have possession of a sample we can rule out some of the early guesses. Having examined the balls under a high-powered microscope, we can discount living material."

So not eggs and, almost certainly not alien life-forms.

The clue may have been in the fact that the balls were only found in the garden and not on nearby roads or roofs.

Pegg said: "The balls do look very much like the florists' hydrating jelly, as suggested by some eagle-eyed members of the public.

"The next step will be to run chemical analysis of a sample of the mystery jelly, to determine its makeup, and at present a sample is desiccating in preparation for this process."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=blue%20balls

For those that don't know what exactly blueballs are

Comments

this is worse than the cum gum thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

It's been solved already.

Absorbent gel from nappies.

Woah. I was beginning to wonder who would willingly allow themselves to receive blue balls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

I clicked onto this thread thinking it was about a whole other type of "blue balls", if you catch my drift...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Someone on a plane flushed the jacks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

bluewolf wrote: »
    this is worse than the cum gum thread

:eek:

It really is always the quiet ones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

ajjmk wrote: »
    I clicked onto this thread thinking it was about a whole other type of "blue balls", if you catch my drift...

That's was exactly my point... should have explained that better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

thread dissapoints :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

it's no mystery. Blue is for balls pink is for ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

nice_very wrote: »
    thread dissapoints :(

I think I said in the OP that it was disappointing for me too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

A plane with a cargo of snooker accessories ?

Advertisement