Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael Healy-Rae vs The Number 13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I think the current system of reg is brilliant. Simple and to the point.

Year of Reg - County - No. of the car registered.

Many people from abroad whom I have spoken to about the issue think it is brilliant too.

I cannot believe that not only is this gobshíte only talking about crap constantly, but he is raping the Irish tax payer of €150,000 a year to do so!

And as for the whole people feeling bad for not having a reg as new as their neighbours, they should invest in a good self help book and a good dose of cop on if all they are concerned about is what year car neighbours have.

It is true of Des Bishop and Tommy Tiernan when they said money didn't suit us!!!! We were better off poor and more concerned about things that mattered rather than our over-inflated egos!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Just as well that his dad & his FF cronies have ensures that very few of us will be able to afford them, then!

I used to think that Kerrymen jokes were clichéd and borderline racist!

Maybe Michael could organise a telephone poll vote to see what the public thinks ? We could allow his ****wit da into Leinster House specially for the day and all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

dj jarvis wrote: »
    he got precedent on this im afraid gentlemen you cant get the number 666 on your car for the VERY same reason bad luck apparently to have the number 666 on your car so they dont issue it

Arsebiscuits. The Revenue hold on to desireable numbers so that they can sell them for 1000 Euro. 666, 777, 888, 999 are ones like that, as are 911 for the Porsche drivers out there, 12 D 89 for the Aston Martin Drivers. I bought 888 and 999 for a car and bike I had a few years ago and 666 was available at the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Nothing like a Healy-Rae to stir emotions. I personally think that they are
    caricatures of the Kerryman but it seems to work for them so.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ohD5pTJb4F0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭SugarCoat

To be fair the reason he gets elected is because behind all the culchie shtick he actually does his job very well .ie he's one of the very few politicians who listens to his electorate and actually does what he can to help them.

He may be a sterotype but he gets the job done ;) and we appreciate it.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Just as well that his dad & his FF cronies have ensures that very few of us will be able to afford them, then!

Maybe Michael could organise a telephone poll vote to see what the public thinks ? We could allow his ****wit da into Leinster House specially for the day and all!

Your motives seem cynical to me.:pac:

Your motives seem cynical to me.:pac:

What motives ? I'm just pointing out the obvious!

True, but where are your alliances usually? Honest question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

Michael Healy Rae is on RTE 1 now :eek:

• Advertisement

True, but where are your alliances usually? Honest question.

Honest answer - I've none. Had hoped that FG & Labour would be true to their promises and end the corruption & incompetence and unfairness, but that was as "the best of a bad lot" and I've been proven very wrong, at least on the last two, with a few shadows of the first showing their ugly face too.

Honest answer - I've none. Had hoped that FG & Labour would be true to their promises and end the corruption & incompetence and unfairness, but that was as "the best of a bad lot" and I've been proven very wrong, at least on the last two, with a few shadows of the first showing their ugly face too.

Turns out we aint too far apart, having said that my dad is the ultimate cynic, any politician calls to my parents door and they are met with a torrent of abuse.

Now my dad is not rude or agressive towards the candidates, but he is a man who can quote history like it happened yestereday and he is met with a candidate that is neither up on or perhaps informed of any history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Is anyone else watching TWIP?

This man is a joker. What the Hell is he doing with a cap on live tv? Trying to appeal to people's sense of humour?

That's all very well, but don't do so and then attempt to present yourself as a serious commentator or agitator against social and economic policy which is affecting hundreds of thousands of individuals in the state, none of whom are laughing at this discussion, or at the wider discussion that is going on in this country in relation to the Irish economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

He might be a good local politician who can forward on a few passport applications, but what he really is is a county councillor not a national politician.

He does remind me of the chimp with the hat in futurama though...maybe that's why he wears it the whole time?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭baldbear

He looks ridiculous with that cap on tv but sure didn't his dad get a hospital built whilst blackmailing the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I want to know what Paul McAdam has to say about this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

The absolute definition of first world problems.
    If he'd get out of simi/ the vintners pockets he'd spot that the country's fecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

He still got 3 stars for Nettle soup.
    And as far as we know, no phone in. . .

Has anyone not spotted the irony yet ?

The phone number at the centre of his con-troversy was.....

1513 717107

Odd that he had no issues with THAT unlucky number......until he was found out, that is!

1513 717107

Odd that he had no issues with THAT unlucky number......until he was found out, that is!

John O'Shea or Healy Rea?

• Advertisement

policarp wrote: »

1513 717107

John O'Shea or Healy Rea?

Well the thread is about Healy-Rae and his supposed objection to the number 13, so I'm not sure what John O'Shea would be objecting to.

So what does the idiot suggest as an alternative? (I've not read the original story) X12 what a tool!!!

Maybe he just wants a blank space or perhaps we can adopt hexadecimal for that year "D" .

The biggest joke is this "saving the Irish car industry" , there isn't an Irish car industry just Irish car salesmen
    :rolleyes:

Well the thread is about Healy-Rae and his supposed objection to the number 13, so I'm not sure what John O'Shea would be objecting to.

You missed the Goal. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

where is Jean Luc Picard when ya want him?

policarp wrote: »

You missed the Goal. . .

I didn't - I'm aware John O'Shea is with Goal (actually interviewed him once about it) but I certainly missed whatever point you were trying to make by mentioning him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Is this irelands attempt at a false flag or smokescreen to keep us focussed away from the country going down the tubes?

• Moderators Posts: 51,866 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

The government salting the icy roads must be a nightmare for him. Must spend days throwing salt over his shoulder :pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

SugarCoat wrote: »
    To be fair the reason he gets elected is because behind all the culchie shtick he actually does his job very well .ie he's one of the very few politicians who listens to his electorate and actually does what he can to help them.

He may be a sterotype but he gets the job done ;) and we appreciate it.

Pretty much sums it up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Simi

Let me guess. One of his relatives prints license plates for a living. Either that or he's a simpleton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

It bewilders me how Michael Healy-Rae or his father before him ever got elected to the Dáil. In my opinion, this displays a major flaw in the functioning of our modern democracy. But sure they're great craic up there spouting their nonsense and making a fool of themselves anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

It's that ****ing cap he wears, you don't wear a cap IN-****ING-DOORS, gimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Spouting about your fear of a number is one way to lose the respect of all those around you. When someone says "take the shoes off the table", or "don't open an umbrella indoors" you just have to wonder what age they are mentally.

This Healy Rae shyster probably has financial interests in a garage down his way.

I suspect that the Father Ted character 'Father Bigley' was inspired by that ugly attempt at a man MHR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Father_Ted_characters
    Father Bigley, an unseen character within the series who is awarded many peculiar attributes. He was mistakenly considered dead; it emerged that he just looked dead. He has facial blotches and "big puffy lips", possibly due to an altercation with an exploding kettle. ("Hell"). He is an avid Dana fan, he is now in a home following some suspicious fires. He also wears perfume, and performed OJ Simpson's wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

What a clown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Owen wrote: »
    Arsebiscuits. The Revenue hold on to desireable numbers so that they can sell them for 1000 Euro. 666, 777, 888, 999 are ones like that, as are 911 for the Porsche drivers out there, 12 D 89 for the Aston Martin Drivers. I bought 888 and 999 for a car and bike I had a few years ago and 666 was available at the time too.

ok the news report i saw on rte a few years back about this very topic was as you put it arse biscuits also ???

im just putting out what i have seen and read - tell you what, if you think im wrong , prove me wrong and ill accept it no problem
    but you just stating you got one once does not cut the mustard im afraid , so till im proven wrong ill stick by what i saw as a filler bit on the six one news ,

and thinking about it, since they changed the format of the reg numbers i do not recall EVER seeing a 666 on the public road , and i do on avg 55,000 miles a year for the last 20 years - so if someone has a picture of a ACTUAL car on the public road with the demon reg number i would love to see it :-)

ok i have done some checking on the revenue site and it does say you can reserve a number for a grand BUT it does not list numbers it wont release ( like 13 d 1 , that is reserved for the lord mayor of dublin ) so some are withheld
    this is bugging me because i did see a news report about this and they did say they dont give out 666 :-{

link for revenue here : http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/reserve-reg-number.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I think in order to assauge poor Michael's superstitions, we perform a whip around for a set of vanity license plates on his behalf.

I do believe that MUPPET1 is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Again our elected representitives are looking after the interests of the motor industry which is a private industry. It was bad enough when it was propped up with the scrappage scheme when the money spent could have been put to better use paying for nurses, building schools etc. Its disgusting!!

On a side note I feel sorry for anyone in the calender industry, their profits next year are gonna be fooked altogether!!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

and thinking about it, since they changed the format of the reg numbers i do not recall EVER seeing a 666 on the public road , and i do on avg 55,000 miles a year for the last 20 years - so if someone has a picture of a ACTUAL car on the public road with the demon reg number i would love to see it :-)

Here you go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I've been getting a name amongst my mates recently for being a moany old codger who rants about everything these days. So last night my wife made me promise that I would have a more positive outlook and try be happier about things. I was actually doing really well today, and then I click into this.

Thanks after hours, I'm back at square one again. What an absolute clown, indicitive of everything thats wrong with this country. That the likes of the Healy-Rae's and Michael Lowry can garner votes in elections boggles the mind. I thought he embarrassed himself enough with the phone thing but this takes it to a new level. Moron, bloody gombeen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I feel sorry for the people who have this man to represent them.

It could be argued that life is too serious and people like Healy-Rae are good to counteract that.

I don't know that I could believe that.

More likely he's a complete out of his depth a-hole, who just doesn't get it, ie doesn't get anything.

He was on The Week In Politics on RTE on Sun night wearing a cap.
    W T F.:(

With Aengus O'Snoddigh also on the panel of The Week In Politics it was like a show for the mentally challenged.

• Advertisement

LOL nice try :-) 666 on its own

i have just got off the phone with revenue in wexford ( rosslare )
    the very nice lady in registration reservation dept said that you can request numbers as a poster said but, you CAN NOT reserve or request the number
    666 because they dont issue it ,

feel free to ring up and confirm this info if doubt still lingers

so poster owen who dared question my word - slink away into the background and be very very quiet

( just in case someone wants to call my bluff :-) )

Registration Section,
    Central Vehicle Office,
    Rosslare Harbour,
    Co. Wexford.

Telephone: 053-9161200.

I think you can get 666 on a plate, can't you?

The one in the picture illustrating the Journal.ie article has all the nines, so I can't believe they would have an issue with 666.

999 has no problem , its just 666 , i kid you not, they banned it becasue it might upset people, it being the number of the beast and all that sh1te

its also the first 3 digits for every garda station in dublin - freaky :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭SugarCoat

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ironically he actually did fix the road :o

LOL nice try :-) 666 on its own

So , you claimed that you can't get 666 on a reg plate, when it was shown that you can, you change the rules...

Anyway, it's seems like they think it's the number of the beast but only on its own, or rather, with only the year and county designations, and the eu flag.

Did you really ring the registration people? You've got to ring Joe Duffy about this.

so mr cat - you either cant read or did not read the posts regarding the issueing of the number 666 ( and ill spell it out for you, seeing you obviously did not get it or read it ) i stated the 666 registration number is not issued

now even other posters got the blatantly obvious point of my post by stating you can get 888 or 999 so why not 666

i pointed out that 666 ( ie the only ****1ng numbers on the reg plate ) is not issued becasue of superstition and religious reasons - so how is that different than gob sh1te JHR asking for number 13 to be banned - are both not as mental ??
    you do remember the reason for this thread dont you ?

so no i did not change the rules - you just cant keep up with the rest of the class - everyone else understood what i was getting at , well they must have , you are the only one bitching

as for ringing joe........ you see i rang to confirm my memory on this reg plate debate - and i was proven correct - becasue i would not want to post something that later could turn out to be wrong and make me look foolish

now would i ? - becasue shouting ones mouth off can make one person look rather stupid indeed

try reading posts in future and make sure you understand them before being a smart arse
    it could come back and bite you on the ass

I showed you one. Then you said it had to be whole number plate.

Oh, and brevity is the soul of wit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

smash wrote: »

They're reserved by the clergy.

ok ring the number and ask them , simple
    its on a previous post
    she was a really nice woman and got a good laugh out of me asking her this question

can you buy or reserve the number 666 ( and for smelly cat its six hundred and sixty six ) , her reply " no , this number is not issued "

so either she , me and the six one news are mistaken or you are ???

so again if im wrong ill accept with humility and grace
    but so far it looks like im right :eek:

and smelly cat will ya stop , please - your just making it worse for you
    READ my post and subsequent posts - slowly and i promise you eventually see that you just don't understand English
    why has no one else made the same misinterpretation of my post ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

can you buy or reserve the number 666 ( and for smelly cat its six hundred and sixty six ) , her reply " no , this number is not issued "
    You clicked my link right? I know the owner of that car. Do a cartell check if you want :rolleyes:

Now... go eat some humble pie!

[QUOTE=Stripey Cat;76961222]I showed you one. Then you said it had to be whole number plate.

Oh, and brevity is the soul of wit.[/QUOTE]

oh sweet jesus - it was implied in the post that it was 666 on its own
    why in gods name would i say that they wont issue a number 05 d 766689 ????
    what has the above number got to do with the number of the beast ????
    have you ever watched the omen ?? he did not have 766689 on his head he had 666

you just did not understand what i was posting about , that does not make me wrong

really son i would stop now - you are making yourself look simple

• Advertisement
Advertisement