Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael Healy-Rae vs The Number 13

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

smash wrote: »
    You clicked my link right? I know the owner of that car. Do a cartell check if you want :rolleyes:

Now... go eat some humble pie!

show me the link with the 3 numbers 666 on them please ??? ( on their own )
    becasue that is what i was talking about , you cant be issued them

in fact dont argue with me go here

Registration Section,
    Central Vehicle Office,
    Rosslare Harbour,
    Co. Wexford.

Telephone: 053-9161200.

and here

Contact RTÉ

RTÉ
    Donnybrook
    Dublin 4

Main switchboard
    Tel: 01 208 3111
    Fax: 01 208 3080

and tell them they are also wrong

and can i ask you, was your mate who has the wh666 number did he buy the car with it or did he buy the number and was issued with it? becasue that is what i have been saying , THEY WILL NOT SELL THE NUMBER 666 TO MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC
    as per the dept of revenue yesterday evening , he may have got it with the car but no way did he buy it
    as per my previous posts

but in fairness to you that is the first time i have even seen ANY reg with the prefix 666 on it so well done on that one :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

dj jarvis wrote: »
    oh sweet jesus - it was implied in the post that it was 666 on its own
    why in gods name would i say that they wont issue a number 05 d 766689 ????
    what has the above number got to do with the number of the beast ????
    have you ever watched the omen ?? he did not have 766689 on his head he had 666

you just did not understand what i was posting about , that does not make me wrong

really son i would stop now - you are making yourself look simple

I will direct you back here again - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76961697&postcount=100

show me the link with the 3 numbers 666 on them please ??? ( on their own )
    becasue that is what i was talking about

chop chop
    Please see above, in 2 different posts.

chop chop

The sound of silence...

I'm glad I quoted this "really son i would stop now - you are making yourself look simple"

The sound of silence...

I'm glad I quoted this "really son i would stop now - you are making yourself look simple"

LOL - your gas , ok i think i know where your getting confused ( i think )

we were talking about BUYING a reg number , the poster who said you could BUY this number was owen ( i think )
    i respond to him on the premiss of BUYING a reg number , he said you could BUY any number , i replied you can not get 666 by BUYING it

this is not the same as getting a car and randomly being given the number 06ww666 - we were talking about purchasing the number

i remember the tv clip was either 6 one news or nationwide and they were talking to the revenue people in wexford and the interviewer asked could the " number of the beast " be reserved and bought , answer was no

same answer i got yesterday from them - you can not BUY the number 666 becasue they wont ISSUE it

not to be confused with it going with a car , is this where the confusion lies for you???
    and this brings me to my comment about reading my post again , you may have missed what was typed and implied

and in fairness this is why i rang them yesterday - to confirm this very point , if your still not getting it then sorry , nothing i can do about that

you see - having the facts from the horses mouth prevents looking foolish

Let me make this clear. I know that car, I know it's owner. I know he bought that number!

I also know another person who bought the number 666 for their car, I can post that car too if you want?

Let me make this clear. I know that car, I know it's owner. I know he bought that number!

I also know another person who bought the number 666 for their car, I can post that car too if you want?

ok whatever - so you have a mate who paid 1000 euro for the number 666 to put on a 98 car ???
    you do know its not retro fitted dont you ?
    you cant get a 96 car and ask for a number to put on it , its not like the uk

so this must mean your mate bought this reg in 98 ? ( in fact it had to be 97 , because you can only get it for the following year )
    really ????

ok :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I have a registration number for Michael, UR 4 KN08. That stupid cap he wears is obviously shrinking his brain if that's all that's bothering him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Plates weren't always 1000 Euro, they were 315 Euro previously. You can buy 666 - as proved by the Fiat above in the photo. I've seen 2 different cars in Cork with it. If you still don't believe me, go to Cartell and type in a few registrations.

05D666 is a Chyrsler PT Cruiser
    04D666 is a Piaggio Scooter
    03D666 is an Alfa Romeo 3.2 Spyder

And I didn't 'skulk away in silence', I'm not subscribed to this thread, I had to look it up. I'm not always on boards despite my post count saying otherwise ;)

Oh, and Arsebiscuits.

ok whatever - so you have a mate who paid 1000 euro for the number 666 to put on a 98 car ???
    you do know its not retro fitted dont you ?

so this must mean your mate bought this reg in 98 ? ( in fact it had to be 97 , because you can only get it for the following year )
    really ????

ok :D
    I'm really glad I quoted your post now because you sound moronic!

The car was an import, you can buy reg plates for imports. You also should know that 1000 fee was only introduced in 2009. Before that it was 350.

Do some research before you talk. And here's the 2nd car. http://www.octane.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=23890

You can clearly see the reg was bought after import because the photos show it on uk plates.

Run along now!

You certainly can, if the car was a 1996 UK car, you can reserve a 1996 plate like 96MH666 if it hasn't been issued previously, and have it assigned to the car.

• Advertisement

you see - having the facts from the horses mouth prevents looking foolish

Indeed. I wouldn't put much stock into what some person at the Revenue understands about the Cherished Plate scheme either, I worked in the Motor Trade (And still do, albiet in another discipline) for 7 years and had to order a lot of plates for people down through the years. The amount of times you'd get through to someone who didn't understand the Chersished Plate scheme, or thought a free number had already been assigned was phenomenal. Eventually you just get through to someone who has a handle on it, and ask for them each time you phone up.

How's that humble pie now Jarvis? :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Owen wrote: »
    You certainly can, if the car was a 1996 UK car, you can reserve a 1996 plate like 96MH666 if it hasn't been issued previously, and have it assigned to the car.

jesus lads you would not know it was a full moon !!!

ok ill take the word of some random internet warriors over 2 people that work in the revenue office - i stand corrected - your superior intellect astounds me

one thing about you reasoning does bother me !!!

so your telling me that a county registers LESS than 666 cars and then ten years later you happen to pick 666 ?? total arsebiscuts :D
    what county only uses up to 665 and then stops ? none
    any car i have re reged from them uk has been at up in the 3000's at least

so lets make this clear you are saying that in 96 meath reg numbers stopped at 665 ??? and you then bought 96mh666 ??? REALLY ???

but i digress - internet warriors you win - now out and howl at the moon:eek:

so really the only way to get 666 ( 13 d 666 ) is to reserve it now for next year - this we all agree on
    BUT revenue said " we dont issue or reserve that number " quote

so i dont know lads - i will never trust the news or a revenue employee ever again

Plates weren't always 1000 Euro, they were 315 Euro previously. You can buy 666 - as proved by the Fiat above in the photo. I've seen 2 different cars in Cork with it. If you still don't believe me, go to Cartell and type in a few registrations.

05D666 is a Chyrsler PT Cruiser
    04D666 is a Piaggio Scooter
    03D666 is an Alfa Romeo 3.2 Spyder

And I didn't 'skulk away in silence', I'm not subscribed to this thread, I had to look it up. I'm not always on boards despite my post count saying otherwise ;)

Oh, and Arsebiscuits.

again not disputing the 666 reg , the point is did these people BUY the number or did it just come with the car ??/
    does cartell tell you if the reg was bought ???

Really? Like honestly? You can not be that slow. You have been proven wrong and are now clutching at straws. Go ask in the motors forum and see how well you hold up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Michael Healy Rae isn't a christian obviously because Christians dont believe in lucky or unlucky numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

Is this poster still claiming that you get 666 on a reg plate despite the evidence posted? And then trying to insult all the people who point out the clear untruth of this statement.

He isn't that stupid, surely?

I can't be arsed to read all his posts- maybe someone could explain to me why he thinks the revenue won't issue a 666 plate, inspite of the fact that many people have 666 plates on their cars, as seen above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Simi wrote: »
    Let me guess. One of his relatives prints license plates for a living

and the 3 key on the machines keyboard is broken

Is this poster still claiming that you get 666 on a reg plate despite the evidence posted? And then trying to insult all the people who point out the clear untruth of this statement.

He isn't that stupid, surely?

I can't be arsed to read all his posts- maybe someone could explain to me why he thinks the revenue won't issue a 666 plate, inspite of the fact that many people have 666 plates on their cars, as seen above.

ok my final vomit on this

if i insulted anyone im sorry , people started being smart with me and i responded - not really out of character for AH but is for me
    so i apologize if i was a dick to anyone - must be the full moon

now the reason i think revenue wont issue 666 plates is becasue that is what they told me less than 24 hours ago , that is the second revenue employee who has said it , so forgive me for taking as gospel what was being said to me by the very people who issue the plates and numbers.

what MOST people failed to pick up on my first few posts was that the revenue said they dont issue THAT number and it cant be reserved , christ -this is why i wanted to back up this by ringing them to confirm this , and they did .

so by trying to back up and confirm the facts before i posted i started getting abuse for it - so cant win really

and in fairness if you read the posts the debate was, could you get a 13 d 666 , not if you stood on one leg and shook a dead chicken they would give you one for a imported car from the late 90's

if all you are correct then humble pie is been eaten as we speak , as i said it would be

still dont get why they would say it on RTE, and then on the phone when i call them , can someone please answer that on for me ??

and for balance im going to ring them back tomorrow and try and book 13 d 666 or 13 ww 666 ect ect - and will report back then

can we ease up on the abuse till then , its a full moon and i have guns :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

OMG next year the friday the 13th will also have the year 13 in it. That will be a mega bad luck day to be driving a 13 reg car.

I actually think Jackie has a point, there are people who it will deter. Like there are still people in the Empire that still read their Horoscopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There probably won't be any need for 2013 plates anyway.:(

The number 13 is considered to be an unlucky number in some countries. The end of the Mayan calendar's 13th Baktun is superstitiously feared as a harbinger of the apocalyptic 2012 phenomenon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13_(number)#Unlucky_13

What do you think their reason for not issuing this plate is?

What do you think their reason for not issuing this plate is?

i saw a interview on rte - it was either six one news or nationwide.
    they were interviewing staff in revenue at the car section in rosslare co wexford.

they started to talk about picking your own number , and the host asked could she pick any number - the revenue replied numbers within the range available - then she asked her about the number 666 - could she get that

the revenue employee replied no , not that number , we dont issue that number - it could cause concern for some people , then laughed and said " sure its the number of the beast " , then they continued on with other questions

so when this thread started i asked why was 13 any more mad a request than 666 seeing they dont issue it ( so they had said on the tv )

some one questioned that - owen i think ,and to make sure i was not imagining it i decided to confirm it by ringing the dept and ask them,
    got a real nice lady on the phone and told her there was a Internet debate
    on this question , she laughed and said we dont issue that number but hang on and ill check , got back a few seconds later and said no we dont issue that one

so i hope this clears up why i was defending my position , two members of the staff that issue the numbers said they dont sell or issue that number

i can be pulled up on being a smart arse with some of my replies but not on defending my position with the information that revenue gave me

do you understand my position now ?

You've already been told - I've said as much - that a lot of staff even in the Vehicle Registrations Office in Rosslare, Wexford don't understand the Cherished Number process. I've dealt with hundreds of plates, and even reserving something simple has been very difficult with them. You get the wrong person at the end of the line, and they'll tell you it can't be done, or that the number's already taken when it isn't. It's the joys of dealing with Civil Servants.

To answer your other question, yes, the Revenue do get to 665, then jump to 667, same at 746 (Reserving 747 for wannabe pilots) and jump to 748. They also block reserve everything under 250 so that those who want a low number to make it look like they didn't import their car can do that too, keeping the number 1 for the various counties that use the Lord Mayor's private plate. They reserve a hell of a lot of numbers. Even numbers like 1000/2000/1500, models of car like 320, 3201 (So people can put a screw on the 1 and make it look like 320i), 911, 916/996/998 (For Ducatis), 1150 (For BMW R Series Motorbikes), and everything else thing think might possibly sell like 33333. When these numbers were 315 Euro to purchase, everyone and their mother did it. Now that they're 1000 Euro, they're more rare.

It's been explained to you at this stage ad nauseum whatever anecdotal evidence you think you have, you don't. RTE aren't exactly known for digging deep into motoring facts - the motors forum here has proved them wrong on several occasions.

We've given you a list of cars which have the 666 number, on their own, but feel free to pop to http://cartell.ie and have a look for yourself. There's hundreds of cars out there with 666 on them.

You were being deliberately obtuse and borderline abusing posters claiming you knew better without knowing all the facts, and now that you've been called on it, you're backtracking and clutching at straws. Just man up and admit you were wrong, no one'll think any worse of you - as opposed to digging deeper into the hole you're in ;)

the revenue employee replied no , not that number , we dont issue that number - it could cause concern for some people , then laughed and said " sure its the number of the beast " , then they continued on with other questions

But, you see now that they do issue that number? Right?

So that report was inaccurate. Wasn't it?

• Advertisement

Sitting on the sidelines eating popcorn, I decided to check test the number in cartel.ie and had a couple of successful results, so yes 666 is issued. I wouldn't know if it's only as a "cherished" number or not, but will accept that it is given the info Owen has posted, it is!

Has there been any further developments on the "13" fiasco!

You've already been told - I've said as much - that a lot of staff even in the Vehicle Registrations Office in Rosslare, Wexford don't understand the Cherished Number process. I've dealt with hundreds of plates, and even reserving something simple has been very difficult with them. You get the wrong person at the end of the line, and they'll tell you it can't be done, or that the number's already taken when it isn't. It's the joys of dealing with Civil Servants.

To answer your other question, yes, the Revenue do get to 665, then jump to 667, same at 746 (Reserving 747 for wannabe pilots) and jump to 748. They also block reserve everything under 250 so that those who want a low number to make it look like they didn't import their car can do that too, keeping the number 1 for the various counties that use the Lord Mayor's private plate. They reserve a hell of a lot of numbers. Even numbers like 1000/2000/1500, models of car like 320, 3201 (So people can put a screw on the 1 and make it look like 320i), 911, 916/996/998 (For Ducatis), 1150 (For BMW R Series Motorbikes), and everything else thing think might possibly sell like 33333. When these numbers were 315 Euro to purchase, everyone and their mother did it. Now that they're 1000 Euro, they're more rare.

It's been explained to you at this stage ad nauseum whatever anecdotal evidence you think you have, you don't. RTE aren't exactly known for digging deep into motoring facts - the motors forum here has proved them wrong on several occasions.

We've given you a list of cars which have the 666 number, on their own, but feel free to pop to http://cartell.ie and have a look for yourself. There's hundreds of cars out there with 666 on them.

You were being deliberately obtuse and borderline abusing posters claiming you knew better without knowing all the facts, and now that you've been called on it, you're backtracking and clutching at straws. Just man up and admit you were wrong, no one'll think any worse of you - as opposed to digging deeper into the hole you're in ;)

i said i was being a smart arse - that is it , take it or leave it - i really dont care

as you said i did not know all the facts - but seeing i had done checks on the facts with relevant people and they, in turn confirmed what i thought

no back tracking was done , i presented my argument with the facts that were presented to me by the relevant authority - easy to debate when you have 4 or five people shouting at you - i stand by my defence of this opinion based on the facts presented to me by supposed relevant authority

my argument was based on facts that might be false - seeing i tried to clarify these facts and they were indeed confirmed ( not everyone knows that revenue motor dept are compulsive bull****ters apparently )

so the lesson here is do not believe one word that RTE publish or transmit and dont take the word of a employee of the revenue dept ???

not everyone knows that revenue motor dept are compulsive bull****ters apparently

Nowhere has anyone said the Revenue are liars. What we have said is that the Revenue don't have ALL their staff fully trained in the Cherished number procedure, and that the results you will get will vary from staff member to staff member. I booked 888 for one of my cars - I knew the number was available, but it took 3 phone calls to 3 different Revenue employees before I got to someone who knew enough to check properly.
    so the lesson here is do not believe one word that RTE publish or transmit and dont take the word of a employee of the revenue dept ???

No, the lesson is make sure you have all the facts before you go insulting other people and defending a position absolutely and firmly when you really have no clue what you're talking about.

RTE make mistakes all the time, and your recall of the programme - if there was one - seems to be one where a casual conversation was happening between the RTE staff member and a member of the Revenue who sounds from your description like she was just saying things to make a nice TV programme - 'sure isn't it the number of the beast' - very professional reasoning for witholding a number.

Nowhere has anyone said the Revenue are liars. What we have said is that the Revenue don't have ALL their staff fully trained in the Cherished number procedure, and that the results you will get will vary from staff member to staff member. I booked 888 for one of my cars - I knew the number was available, but it took 3 phone calls to 3 different Revenue employees before I got to someone who knew enough to check properly.

No, the lesson is make sure you have all the facts before you go insulting other people and defending a position absolutely and firmly when you really have no clue what you're talking about.

RTE make mistakes all the time, and your recall of the programme - if there was one - seems to be one where a casual conversation was happening between the RTE staff member and a member of the Revenue who sounds from your description like she was just saying things to make a nice TV programme - 'sure isn't it the number of the beast' - very professional reasoning for witholding a number.

ok so taking what you have just posted how is it so hard for you to see how i came to the conclusion i did ?
    i did not magic up this reason - it was based on supposed reliable information - nothing else

in fairness you might have more dealing with revenue than i do , but ANY time i have imported a car from the UK they have been spot on with what i have gotten from the web site before hand

so why should i have doubted this time ?
    it was not just the tv clip , it was word of mouth from a employee 24 hrs ago
    at what point should alarm bells have rang on what i was told?
    all the cartell numbers and results are great but they STILL dont show if they were purchased or came with the car - that was my point from the start - can you buy 666 ? i was told no

so the question really is , should i take the word of the people who actually work in the dept or some random heads from boards ?

And the answer is, yes, yes you can buy 666. And actually, your first post mentioned nothing about buying it - you were adament the number was unavailable under all circumstances.

• Advertisement

this was my original point !!! if this is so mad a reason, why was JHR wanting 13 held back any different - based on what i was told by revenue

it made no sense to me at the time and that is the question i asked , go to my first post - what came after is a fudge of the original point

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

This is funny considering that Michael Healy Rae is a disabled driver himself availing of the lower rate of motor tax and vrt reliefs as he was in a bad road accident around 20 years ago which left him with a profound limp.

And the answer is, yes, yes you can buy 666. And actually, your first post mentioned nothing about buying it - you were adament the number was unavailable under all circumstances.

YAWN

ring rosslare in the morning and ask them why they dont know , i shan't and wont keep repeating myself - they supplied the info , tackle them on its validity

if its wrong, its their mistake not mine , take it up with them

YAWN

I already know. Lack of training. I've explained it multiple times to you. What's more plausible? Their lack of training meaning some staff don't know 666 is available ... or ... hundreds of already registered cars being fake, driving on fake plates, and cartell.ie populated with fake data because the plate isn't available?

and for balance im going to ring them back tomorrow and try and book 13 d 666 or 13 ww 666 ect ect - and will report back then

You can not book a 13 reg until Nov at the earliest. You also can not book by phone, you must fill in a form and post it with a cheque/bank draft.
    they were interviewing staff in revenue at the car section in rosslare co wexford.
    What would they know? The cherished plates are managed by the VRO in Shannon.
    all the cartell numbers and results are great but they STILL dont show if they were purchased or came with the car - that was my point from the start - can you buy 666 ? i was told no
    I didn't only provide you with cartell links, I provided you with photos and a link to another site where you could see cars where the owners bought the reg numbers 666.

To back it up further: http://www.octane.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=14136

YAWN

ring rosslare in the morning and ask them why they dont know , i shan't and wont keep repeating myself - they supplied the info , tackle them on its validity

if its wrong, its their mistake not mine , take it up with them

The people in Rosslare weren't being insulting and abusive like a child in a playgroup though, were they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I didn't - I'm aware John O'Shea is with Goal (actually interviewed him once about it) but I certainly missed whatever point you were trying to make by mentioning him.

It was meant to infer that certain people with Kerry connections should keep their mouths shut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Politics in this country! Last year I was doing a course in France with a lot of people from other European countries, and they were all having heated debates about politics and left and right and various theories - then they asked me "And how does it work in your country?" and couldn't understand why I started laughing.

I know this shouldn't be funny, considering we essentially pay the man to spout this crap, but I think it's hilarious... They'll try taxing the number 13 yet...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

To be honest he does have a point about '13' having a negative effect on car-buying. However, two points;

1 - I would imagine it is only a small negative effect and possibly is discounted by the people who purposely buy a '13' registered car just to go against the superstitious amongst us.

2 - M.H-R brings this point up, not as a 10 second point during the Dáil day, but places a lot of weight upon it. He cares as much about the bigger picture in Ireland as a child does. This issue, for him, is a major issue. I have a problem with his priorities.

A quick spear tackle from Brian O'Driscoll would sort him out!

13 is only unlucky in bingo!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

09 D 13 exists

so there is precedent for issuing 13 on number plates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

09 D 13 exists

so there is precedent for issuing 13 on number plates.

Really? What is it? It seemed so far this year that the #13s in each county were not being allocated. They were defiantly skipped at the start of the year.
    This year is the first year since 1992 that all the numbers from #1 upwards are allocated, not starting from 201 as was the case. You can still prebook, but only from November of the preceding year.

What sort of sauce would you recommend?

Carbonara?

Advertisement