Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cell Phone Coverage/Cost Recommendation

Options
  • 05-02-2012 3:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm traveling to ROI and London this summer for a couple of weeks. I would like a recommendation for a cell phone network. I have an unlocked GSM quad phone (LG CU500) and plan to use a local sim card. The phone will be used to communicate with other members of the group and to stay in touch with family i the U.S.A. via voice and text.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

A full list of prepay mobile operators and packages is here.

The cheapest option to call the USA is with Tesco Mobile @ 2 cent a minute or with 3's Gocall.ie service @ 2 cent a minute.

Text messages are normally around 25 cent per message to the USA. Most Irish operators offer free text messages via the web. Tesco Mobile will give you 50 international webtexts to the USA for 30 days after your top up which may complement well the 2 cent calls for you.

Obviously, OTT applications like Skype, Viber, Cabbage, JaxtrSMS, What's app and Facebook Messenger are the cheapest options, if you have a good data bundle, but they are unlikely to be compatible with your LG phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 arkansas72412

Thanks for the quick post and the large amount of information provided. I'll study it for a couple of days and may have questions later.

Advertisement